A dedicated shooter is a Precision Shooter

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Dec 25, 2016.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

You need a Trigger Pull Gauge, to see if trigger is in YOUR specs. Check it often before each shoot. Have you gained or lost weight, has your face gotten thinner or thicker, this will change your POI. Correct as necessary.

Are you a cold weather shooter? If you are you will need a thinner recoil pad for winter shooting coat to get the same LOP.

Your sight picture must be exact, a little difference means the difference between a hit or miss.

So keep your Trapgun Tuned up.

GB.........................................DLS

2. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Strange you should say that, wife just took out my cold weather liner in my shooting coat and removed the part of the liner that used to be against my shooting shoulder. What a difference it made!!

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

It's surprising just how much that slight adjustment works in Winter!

4. nudie

nudie Active Member

Trigger pull is a myth, just slap
    It back till the gun goes bang.

5. thomasf

thomasf Member

Nudie
    Do you slap it with a 12 pound force?

6. nudie

nudie Active Member

Never measured the force, not necessary. Just yank it and hear "dead". This aint presision rifle shooting.

Chooter and oleolliedawg like this.
  7. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

NUDIE: I see you are a not informed shooter. A slap is sloppy, you will never convince an accomplished Shooter to be a Slapper/Flapper while shooting for the BIG MONEY, just an accident waiting to happen.

Have you really TUNED your Trapgun? I doubt it very much, I can see it now at the Pattern Board, Inconsistant patterns, = MISSES on the Line.

GB....................................DLS

8. dr.longshot

If your Trapgun has Choke Tubes, Have you patterned them, There are Good & Bad choke tubes. I want a Tight Pattern, especially for Handicap shooting, I just switched from my Full tube to my Extra-Full tube, it shoots about 4"inches higher, and the Pattern at 27 yards is approx 20"inches in diameter. I have to be precise in shooting a Hdcp target, to produce SMOKE, that lets me know I am centering the target. I do not like sloppy breaks.

You want to be as Harlan Campbell says, on the Money side of the target, on the Leading edge on angles, and on top of the Straight-a-ways for consistency.

With-out consistency you are a LOSER.

I can tell you this I see the difference between a 1200fps shell and a 1250fps shell from the 27 Yard line and farther. Remember SPEED KILLS it is retained energy.
    A properly fitted Trapgun holds down on the felt recoil, and makes comfortable shooting.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant..........................................Dr.longshot

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

One of the recommended corrections for early flinch developers is an increase in trigger pull weight. According to some top shooters it's often necessary to increase the pull weight until the flinch miraculously disappears, which flies in the face of conventional wisdom. Surprisingly, it has worked on occasion. So, those perfect 2 lb. trigger pulls can be quite meaningless for successful shooting!

wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  10. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

New shooters and old ones also. DO not listen to nudie. He is either playing games or not a very good shooter. Roger C.

11. nudie

nudie Active Member

Neither. I'm serious as a heart attack. There is absolutely NO need for a super lite trigger
    On a shotgun. NONE. no advantage at all. Just get on target and pull trigger. Simple as
    That.

Chooter likes this.
  12. dr.longshot

Nobody said anything about a LITE TRIGGER PULL What a Lack of Knowledge You have about TRAPSHOOTING, Must be a SKEETER

GB.................................. DLS

13. dr.longshot

SLAP the TRIGGER QUOTED you

14. dr.longshot

I am soaking Navy Beans for the Club Shoot Thursday Night, for Ham & Beans to eat by all attending

15. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Gary, I don't know in which thread you wanted to post this but I don't think it was this one.

Unless this one went from pulling the trigger to pulling someone's finger.

History Seeker and jhunts like this.
  16. Flyersarebest

Blazing Saddles campfire scene

wpt likes this.
  17. nudie

nudie Active Member

:D:D:D:D
    :D:D:DIt's hot air either way.:D:D:D

18. Flyersarebest

Well, since you kinda started the hot air with
    "Trigger pull is a myth, just slap it back till the gun goes bang."

and "Just yank it and hear "dead".

Maybe the good Doctor had a pretty good idea after all talking about beans.

I think your your choice of the words JUST YANK IT says a lot. You know, if you yank it too much you'll start to lose your eyesight. When that happens the trigger pull won't matter anyway. Or is it too late for you and that is why you "just slap it".

19. dr.longshot

Nudie: You need Ammo when pulling w/finger, PPPPPppppppppFFFFFFFFFFfffffffttttt, Whew that was AAAAwwwwwwffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllll

20. nudie

nudie Active Member

Get back on your meds quick doc!!!!

21. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member Founding Member

I do not slap the trigger, but press it, not unlike handgun and rifle, but quicker.

wpt likes this.
  22. Colin Cooper

Colin Cooper Model12Man

You guys are overthinking this. Having a good trigger is important to gun feel but its not as critical on a shotgun as it would be on a very accurate rifle or pistol. Every Browning, Kreighoff, Perazzi, Ithaca, Remington and Winchester I have ever owned all had very decent triggers in them. If I ever dropped a target it couldn't be blamed on the trigger.

I don't always slap things but when I do I, I slap high fives when I run straights on tournament day.