60 Bird Protection Program at Sportsman's Gun and Reel

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by jamesbalog, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

We are starting a 60 bird protection program with Calcutta at Sportsman's Gun and Reel in Lorain Ohio. It will be shot on the 3rd Saturday of the month starting March 19th. Sportsman's Gun and Reel was nice enough to add $500 to the Jackpot to get things going.

Ive attached a flyer for the program, if anyone has any questions or comments please let me know

program.jpg

2. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

The picture shown does no justice to this club. I dropped by for some practice last year. I have to say it is one of the most picturesque clubs you will see. The targets fly towards a black near lightless area below the towering trees. Sometime this summer I hope to come by and get some photos.

3. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

3.5 weeks until the 1st shoot. I would love to see a nice crowd of shooters and some good money in the Calcutta. Come on out and have some fun.

4. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

Is it $80/team or $40/team?

5. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

$40 per person/$80 per team

The $40 per person covers

$10 for Lewis
    $10 for Jackpot
    $10 for Calcutta entry (plus bids)
    $2 for long runs
    $8 for Targets

6. just joe

just joe Administrator Staff Member

ttt for a great venue!

7. sasquach

sasquach Member

Calcutta bids start at $10 or $20?

8. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Active Member

Can a team shooting the program for the first time win the jackpot?

9. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

starts at $10, if no one bids you bought yourself and owe no additional money.

10. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

If you break 60 the first time you are there you get 30% of the jackpot. If you break 60 the second time you shoot it you would receive 60% of the jackpot. If you break 60 the on 3rd time you shoot you get 80%. Once you shoot 3 times you would always get 80% if the 60 is broken.

We have three shoots scheduled, If the shooters would like to continue the program throughout the summer we will continue to run the shoot on the 3rd Saturday of the month, If not we will pick it back up the 3rd Saturday of October and the jackpot will carry over.

11. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

just over two weeks until the first shoot

come out and have some fun

12. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

One week until the first shoot, would love to see a good turn out

13. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

Just a couple days left until the first shoot. Weather looks to be a little chilly but at least we shouldn't have rain or snow to deal with.

If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Hope to see a nice turn out Saturday

14. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

We didn't have the crowd we hoped for on the first shoot. We ended up sending 3 squads to the line. High scores were 52, 51 and 50. Thank you to everyone who came out and i hope we can make the shoot grow each month.

15. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

next shoot is this Saturday

would love to see you there

16. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

We didn't have enough to shoot on Saturday. The May shoot has been cancelled. We will try it again in the fall.

Thanks to everyone who showed up

17. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Jamesbalog: Word needs to get around, worst thing you can do at this point is not have the next one, Shooters spread the word, Buddy Shooters that is. I have seen this happen many times, what you get is No Shoot, They won't come, Most shooters like 2 shoots a month, like 1st and 3rd Sat nite, that makes the shoot grow.

I shot last night at Pike County Coon Hunters, also known as Yankee Hill. Calcutta 50 bird, 25 16s, and Hdcp what you break, least yardage is 23 yds.
    First shoots are 10 bird from 16 yd line, 2nd 10 birds was 20 yard line, 3rd shoot is 10-25yd line. all 10s shoot off for 1st place in each shoot, cost is $4.00 each
    Lone winners take it all.

The shoot is strange, They line up first shooter shoots 2 targets at post #1, then moves to post 2 shoots one target, the next shooter goes to the line and shoots one target, then post 2 shoots one target and moves to post 3, 3rd shooter, post one shoots 2nd target and moves to post 2, first shooter is always lead off, and then all follow till every shooter in the line progresses through till every one shoots 10 targets. Sometimes they have 40 shooters pass through,

Then the 20 yda starts same process till all shooters in line progress through.

Then the 25 yds starts same process till all in line progresses through

Then they call all shooters breaking a 10 in 16 yds for shootoffs, till one winner takes all the money.

Then comes the 20 yds doing same, winner takes all the money.

Then comes the 25 and same things happen.

The next shoot is 25 bird mini, 10 from the 16, then moves to 2nd trap and shoots 15 hdcp/23 yd min. pays 50/30/20

The next shoot is 50 bird Calcutta 25 16yds then 25 what you break, paid 50/30/20 there is options on this shoot The Calcutta is sold, shoot starts after Dark
    $5.00 to Jack pot, $10.00 Calcutta, $5.00 to lewis class/ 2 classes 50/30/20.

Option B You can shoot targets only if you wish.

Option A is the Calcutta playing it all.

Option C is Everything except Calcutta, includes Jackpot, but only pays after 3rd place in Calcutta.

Option D is 2nd Lewis Class only

You have to see it done and shoot your option and see how it works..

GB............................DLS

18. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Why only 30% if you break 60 ..? Progressive is fine but cannot understand why the 30% if you are going to charge me the full amount to shoot it ... The shooters who would know about it would probably be known by others so that would eliminate the sand bagging if that what they are worried about ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

I wasnt a fan of this either. The program was modeled off of another that is run 40-50 miles down the road on the 1st Saturday of the month and was very successful. The management wanted this to be ran identically to that one.

20. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

I think it might be worse to have people drive 2+ hours to find that only 8 people showed up.

I posted this in advance on several websites and kept it at the top, I hung flyers and talked to shooters at every nearby gun club that shoots protections/buddy shoots. It was presented at the shoot on the 1st sat of the month that has a good turn out.

I dont know what else i would have to do to get the word out. People knew about it, I promise you that.

This club had good turn outs in the past, it then went downhill for several years. The problem that made things go down hill is no longer there but it has been a struggle to get people back

We will try the program again in the fall with a slightly modified program. There will be flyers online and at all the gun clubs that i know about in a 75 mile radius a few months in advance.

21. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I have a feeling its the schedule (pay outs) that are the problem and will drive shooters away faster than a bad free meal ... We used to have progressive shoots and paid out the entire balance at the last shoot on the year ... Not sure how many shooters would drive very far for a 30% payout and not complain if they are paying 100% ... Those numbers don't work, if it works for you , more power to you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

22. targetbreaker

targetbreaker if it goirs bang I probley shot it.

Hi, Jim hope all is well, the old days back ups were shot 1 time by anyone showing up, now day you want to shoot, the same birds as long as you shoot with some one else. That to me is why the back up game is dead around here. One time only works for 50 programs, and the ATA.
    you get a good score the one time you shoot, not till you win all your own money back from shooting it 5 times to get it right, that is my thoughts, and are shared by a lot of shooters, in this n.w. ohio area.