50 targets per trap faster or not?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Orangeman, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

I see where a major shoot is planning to shoot 50 targets per trap. Will that be faster or more unfair?

2. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Not a problem at all. Done it before

3. Dakota Jake

Dakota Jake Member

I did it in Vandalia back in the day, I liked it.

4. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

The Wisconsin 100 bird team shoot in Muscoda had done that for years.--10 birds a station two houses. Gets a lot of shooters through in a day.

5. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

That's tough on some of us, the older the tougher it is. But it does get more squads through. Even 100 birds over just 2 traps (2x25 then move) is quicker.

6. 10-point

10-point Active Member

I loved it when the Grand went to 10 targets on a station, I’d love to see that become the norm. I don’t see how it is harder on the old guys, it would get done faster and less walking is involved?

7. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

Sure makes a difference when you're short of help.

Gary W likes this.
  8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member V I P

And what about heat injuries?

9. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

What if you have a trap with crazy difficult background? You aren’t just shooting 25 there now! You are at a bigger disadvantage.

So if 50 a trap is good, why not 100?

BRAD DYSINGER and Flyersarebest like this.
  10. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Heck yeah!!!
    Anyone want to do 100 instead of 50??

SES likes this.
  11. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Tom, Be careful what you wish for. It is very hard to be competitive with the top shooters shooting 25 a trap 4 traps.Think for a minute letting the top shooters shoot all 100 on the same trap especially if they can also pick their favorite trap to shoot on what the outcome will be. Also it is my feelings that doubles should still be shot 30/20 30/20 instead of 25 pair per trap. In my opinion the bank system should not be used. At a large shoot the line should be split so the shooters skip traps between sub events. Before the bank system the line was split East (east and west) and West was split (east and west) at the Grand. When 50 per trap was done at the Cardinal Center it did not prove out to be as fast as 25 per trap. It seemed that the shooters didn't get back to the same trap any quicker than they do going to the the next trap. By some traps finishing quicker than others there is time wasted before starting the next event especially if trap setting is needed. In the years the line was split the older shooters seemed to get to the next trap as well as some of the young folks did. By the way I'm one of the old guys and if the line is split I'll still make it to the next trap. In my opinion No way should a shooter be forced to shoot 10 to a post on singles or handicap. I've done it and I didn't like it . It seems like you are there forever before you get to go to the next post. If you have a particularly difficult target how about 10 of them in a row from your most difficult post ? Just my opinion.

Dave Berlet

12. Jon Reitz

Spot on! ✅

13. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

14. Jon Reitz

Hell no.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  15. plaw

plaw Mega Poster

Boys try that 10 per post at 79 ..... no no no