410 choke for skeet

Discussion in 'Skeeters Corner' started by Lee Gardner, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Lee Gardner

Lee Gardner Active Member

I am a sporting shooter first and foremost. With that said i do enjoy shooting skeet in the fall and winter months. I am going to order a set of Briley full length tubes for my Krieghoff parcours this week. My questions is. what chokes do most skeet shooter use in the 410? I figure skeet chokes but i am unsure. For sporting i use .015 or .020. Targets are usually a little farther out though. Is .005 and .007 good enough for skeet?

2. Brutus

Brutus New Member

I think you'll find consensus among the experienced that .005 to.010 in some combination is preferred. Everybody has their opinion. Mine is SK2/IC.

Brutus

3. Lee Gardner

Lee Gardner Active Member

I went with .007 and .007. I can always buy more chokes if I don’t like the breaks

4. magnett

magnett Mega Poster

i use a 0.010 and 0.012 for 5stand and Sporting Clays and seems to break them well at all distances

5. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

my gun was tubed .010. poofed birds.

6. JeffeClayayer

JeffeClayayer Member

I shoot quite a bit of registered skeet and shoot either cylinder or light skeet (0.03) for skeet in all gauges. Been enjoying fur breaks with cylinder on 410. But like someone said, to each their own.

7. magnett

magnett Mega Poster

i have few Briley Sub gauge tube chokes in .410 if anyone is interested. I will post soon

8. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

I am no expert but I would guess most shoot .005 skeet chokes, but on another note, you could try what you have. I use .005 in all my Briley tubes and Krieghoff Ti in the 12 ga barrels. My new Parcours X have flush mount SK (.005) but I haven't shot them yet

9. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

I reread your post, I would personally try the .005

10. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot of registered Skeet. I would go with the .005. Anything tighter than that is going to see more missed birds. I would not be afraid of going to .003 either as you will break more birds with that choke. The breaks will not be as goo as .005, but it will show better on score sheet.
    Just to let you know I carry a mid 90's average year to year with my Briley .005's. Take this advise and everyone else's, but make the decision from what you shoot.

magnett likes this.
  11. I shot a round of skeet last night with a Stoeger Condor .410 with full/full chokes. It went better than expected. I did well on 1 and 2 struggled in the middle got a couple on 6 and 7 and nothing on 8 for a total of 11. It was interesting because 2 of the broken clays were turned to absolute smoke and they were not close shots. I think with the chokes opened up my scores may be well up into the teens with this gun.

12. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

full choke at skeet is more common than you may think. I can name a few older 410 skeet guns in the day that were ordered from the factory requesting full chokes. many liked the (less lead) concept, which made it an 'aim at it' and shoot it method.
    and all this came at a point in history where people tended to keep their 1 gun for a lifetime and(learned) it, instead of chasing dope changing this and changing that.
    it is a lost art these days.