37 of 64 earned yardage were from the 27 in one event!

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by STaT mAn STaN, Aug 12, 2020.

1. STaT mAn STaN

STaT mAn STaN Mega Poster

How well is the handicap system working?

History Seeker likes this.
  2. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

So you are saying a lot of people got on the not so desirable traps, so they didn't shoot good enough to get a punch ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

BREAKING NEWS FROM LINN CREEK —- Several 27 yard shooters are very good shots!!! Who would have thought the country’s largest gathering of 27 yard shooters would produce great scores? This reporter is mystified!!! Isn’t the handicap system supposed to allow a guy with an 80 average from the 20 yard line to compete with the top shooters in the country? It’s a world gone mad I tell ya.

HistoryBuff and wpt like this.
  4. STaT mAn STaN

OLD NEWS FROM EARTH

If statistics and facts make a difference, note that the Grand has always been a gathering of the best. At one time 5,000 showed up. Some needed handicapped!

Scores 96 and higher used to be rare.

There are more scores over 96 now in a grand with 850 shooters than there were in 1990 when there were 4000 shooters. The handicapping system worked. Targets were harder and shells were legitimate 3 dram.

If there are 8 yardages and one yardage has as many high scores as all the rest combined, a sixth grader might conclude there isn’t much handicapping going on.

Sixth grade math is confusing. To some.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  5. Don Cogan

Don’t be so hard on yourself, lots of guys can’t figure out sixth grade math or trap shooting it’s not just you. 90% of the shooters couldn’t break a winning handicap score from the 16 yard line. I guess you want to give them all a ribbon so they don’t get their feelings hurt. After all, they tried their best and that’s all that matters right? Maybe we can subtract a few birds from the good shooters and give them to the bad shooters. Perfect! Now everyone will end up with an 89. Nobody has to go away feeling they didn’t win. You are on to something here Comrade Stan!

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  6. STaT mAn STaN

Odds are you don’t understand the purpose of a handicap system or the history of the sport?

Did you know the 27 yard line was initially a place that even the greatest could not break a winning score? Now most of the awarded yardage goes to those on the 27. 7 times as much awarded yardage to the 27 than any other distance.

Does the threat of wider harder angles threaten you? Do you want a ribbon too? Don’t answer. I don’t care. The math shows the handicap system is broke. As long as it is broke there won’t be any money.

oleolliedawg and Flyersarebest like this.
  7. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor State HOF Founding Member Forum Leader Member State Hall of Fame

The ATA has died. Hasn't been buried yet but it is starting to stink.

8. Don Cogan

Hang on.....I’m laughing so hard that it’s difficult to type. You think I’m afraid of wider harder targets? I’ve shot more 60 bird outlaw protectors, Annie Oakleys and miss-n-outs than I have registered. I might be the only shooter to win the old Jaqua’s 5 hole 50 yard Beretta shoot multiple times. Do I want a ribbon too? Only if it comes with a nice pile of cash. The problem is I do understand the history of our sport and the handicap system. You think Brad and Leo were traveling around the country winning money by shooting handicap from the 22 or 23 yard line? You are kidding yourself and deceiving others if you think the handicap system ever did or ever could level the playing field.

Roger Coveleskie, T Jordan and wpt like this.
  9. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

There isn’t any money in the pot now. The blue collar shooters were kicked to the curb. Weekenders gone. The short yardage shooters brought the money to the game. The wealthy bring nothing. It was the chance of a big payout for the shorter yardage guys. They know they can’t compete with a shooter that has a higher handicap average than their 16 yard average.

I made enough money for 3 years of college before I got to the 25. Plus beer money.

I think Brad made most of his money after the targets were changed.

If you don’t think the weekend shooters were kicked to the curb.....then let’s check out how many thousands drive in for the gah.

Maybe delegate Brad can change the targets.

Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  10. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I have always been for harder targets, wider angles, 50 yard birds, trap used to not be skeet. Missouri used to throw some of the meanest targets around but sadly they gave in to the ribbon shooters, sometime about 2000 or there about.

HistoryBuff, wpt and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  11. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

ebsurvayer, You are spot on in you evaluation of the ATA. I just posted on GOT FULL SQUAD, NOT AT LINN CREEK. Check it out. Have Joe repost it here if He will. Roger C.

12. ebsurveyor

Speaking of Linn Creek, is it normal to have so many people enter that did not shoot? What's up with that?

13. Kiehl

Kiehl Well-Known Member

People always gave each other their ATA cards to get classified and we all got attendance pins. Nothing new.

14. ebsurveyor

I'm asking about the people that paid for their targets, still at the shoot & did not shoot. These same people shoot the next day. Look at the shoot scores and see & learn.

wpt likes this.
  15. Don Cogan

Ebsurveyor,
    I’m not sure about all of them but I know a couple of the guys on the list. They had squadded but not paid for some events and they appeared on the score list at the bottom showing all zeros.

wpt likes this.