20 gauge hulls

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Johnnyo, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Johnnyo

Johnnyo Member

What brand of 20 gauge hulls would you recommend to buy for reloading and what would be a good price?

2. Just Trap

Just Trap Well-Known Member

AA or Gun Club. Whatever you want to pay - some folks are paying more than 5 cents each plus shipping if not local. Check where there is more skeet & sporting than trap, you’ll probably find barrels full for free.

3. Axl.Rose

Axl.Rose New Member

I’d look for Gun clubs. You can reload them a ton of times. 10+ at least. Good luck!

4. Johnnyo

Johnnyo Member

AA works for me.

5. Hitman

Hitman Member

Gun clubs load better than AA's or STS for me as the new AA's seem to require more wad pressure with clay buster wads, that said you will get more life from a AA/STS IMO

YMMV

6. J Lahr

J Lahr Member

I am using Federal hulls with Longshot powder and have been happy with it. I get mine free at the gun club as the high school shoots them. Ask around you should be able to get free hulls. They all work it is just a matter of what wad to use.

7. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I would add the only issue that I know of with Gun Club hulls are that they are steel, not brass, based. Some say the steel hulls don't resize well, at least not like the brass based hulls on the AA or STS. And, several of my friends have said they have been told by folks at Krieghoff not to shoot steel based hulls in their guns. I can't verify that statement first hand nor state what the issue may be in using steel based hulls. Hard on extractor/ejectors perhaps or. . . . . . . . ?

8. truceball405

truceball405 Sharpshooter

Personally, I have always preferred Remington for 12 and 20 and Win for 28 )I do not shoot a 410, but those who do that I know also prefer the Win for 410

9. EdS

EdS Member

Here's another vote for Gun Club hulls. I get at least 10 reloads with them in 12 and 20 gauge. Regarding not using steel base hulls in Krieghoff shotguns, I have fired tens of thousands of steel base hulls in my Krieghoff and Berettas. There is no problem with my guns' chambers or breech faces.

10. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

not all gun clubs are white steel. some are brass finish coated. most are the 6 pointers. work great.