10th Anniversary Leo Harrison’s Passing is soon….

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Family Guy, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

I am curious how many even knew Leo. Are there many Leo stories out there?

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I met him, and he shot skeet when he was 15 years old, Quincy Gun Club. He traveled with Grandpa at that time.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  3. T Jordan

T Jordan Well-Known Member V I P

I shot off with him and in his squad. He was as great a person with everyone he met as he was a shooter. We lost a very rare talent that will never be duplicated.

4. michigan_berry

michigan_berry Active Member

Maybe 15+ years ago Leo was shooting at the GLG. Typical Michigan May weather and it was maybe 65 and raining hard all morning. Leo went 75 straight to start one of the handicap events and was wearing a rain jacket. Before his last house, the rain stopped, the sun broke and it turned hot and steamy/muggy in a hurry. Somebody watching asked Leo if he was going to take his jacket off to shoot the last house and his response was something along the lines of “not a chance.” He ran that last house for his straight.

Wish he was still around. The thought of how long he would’ve kept such a high level of shooting if he were still with us is mind boggling.

5. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Leo and I traveled, shot, and hunted together for 30 years, We met in 1975 and he was as close to a brother as I will ever have. Even after I quit shooting ATA and didn't see him as much as when we shot together we would still BS on the phone about what was going on in our lives and the ATA world. By the end I'd only see him when he came to a shoot at the CC. I have to many stories to write about on here. It is hard to believe he will soon be gone for 10 years already,

The shooting industry used to say that the average ATA member only shot for 4 years but if they made the 5th they would be lifers. If that is the truth it would be two and a half generations of average ATA shooters who never saw Leo in person.

6. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Over the years I was fortunate to be squadded with Leo many times and it was always a pleasure to be around him while shooting and maybe even more fun just hanging out telling and listening to stories around the shoots.(By the way, being the quiet one I mostly just listened)!!!

Dave Berlet

7. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Leo was the GOAT of trapshooting in my opinion . He was always friendly and just an all around nice guy.
    I’m now so sure if didn’t enjoy beating you at cards as much as beating you in trap. They don’t come
    any better than big Leo. RIP my friend.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  8. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Dave I'm sure I was working too hard to notice how quite you were (are) at the time.

Ed Leo and I did play a game or two of hearts over the years. My all time hearts game was with Leo, Phil Ross, and Bobby Gilbertson at the western chain shoots in Jan. and Feb.

For several years We shot together and had a month or so long running hearts game. We were in Phoenix a couple of shoots, Tuscon, and Vegas a couple of shoots. The Mint and Bob Taylor's in LV. Then in May in Reno at the Golden West Grand at the old Harlod's club and then Sage Hill. Real Good Times. Maybe the best times I ever had shooting trap.

Every one of those clubs but Tuscon are gone today as are Leo And Phil. I think Bobby is still around but I'm not sure.

9. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Brad, Most of us would love to hear some of your memories/stories of when you and Leo traveled the country
    eating peanut butter sandwiches and taking everyone’s money. I think you were the best shooter in the wind
    that I ever saw.

Cooperdisciple and T Jordan like this.
  10. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I thought it was bologna sandwiches.

11. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

If it was bologna sandwiches I am betting it was “fried bologna sandwiches “

Ron B

12. BRAD DYSINGER

Singles shooters ate bologna while handicap shooters ate steak and sea food back in my day.

Cooperdisciple likes this.
  13. MOE

MOE Mega Poster Founding Member

How about it Brad, I as well as many other's I'm sure would truly enjoy reading a book about your experiences. Bet it would be a big seller!

14. I'm with Moe, Brad. How 'bout it?!

Roger Coveleskie and MOE like this.
  15. BRAD DYSINGER

A lot of people seem to want Dave and me to write a book, I'll talk to him and see if we can come up with something.

16. 79ROY

79ROY Member

Dave will want some extra space for food stores!