00 Bucksot

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Robert Lucks, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Robert Lucks

Robert Lucks Retired Army

Going to reload some buckshot......is it a must to have filler? Most online retailers are sold out.

2. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

When loading 00 buck for deer hunting, I'd say absolutely. I would place two 00 pellets in the wad, cover with buffer. Then place two more pellets at right angle and cover them. I used Blue Dot and it did better on penetration and pattern density then factory even with one less pellet then factory due to the stacking of pellets.

3. Robert Lucks

Ive heard of guys using Cream of Wheat or Corn meal as filler

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  4. Steven Mobley

Steven Mobley New Member

I don't use any buffer, but Im not loading hunting rounds, just for self defense. Whatever wad you're using for 11/8 lead load, trim the petals almost to the base. Then you can get three stacks of 3 OO buck and a nice crimp without any adjustments.

5. Robert Lucks

Thanks!!,,,,,will try that...now I using a 1 1/8 oz wad and getting 8 pellets in with a nice crimp....my loads are for self defense as well.

6. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Great way to make a slug -- any humidity, pocket sweat, can turn it in to a rock.

7. vdt

vdt Mega Poster Founding Member

you must be very carefull using buffer in your loads ,the chamber pressure is greatly increased,you had better be carefull ,i at one time buffered my bb load in my 10 ga.,i had them tested in a lab,wow did the pressure went threw the roof,if you want to buffer your loads be carefull ,you had better back down your powder charge,you get a better tight pattern but lost speed and speed kills

firewater and Roger Coveleskie like this.