Trapshooting Total Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by grappy, Feb 14, 2016.

1. grappy

grappy Member

I am scheduling a total hip replacement. How long does it usually take before you can start shooting again. tia

2. Seitz9010

Seitz9010 Mega Poster

My friend was shooting two weeks after his operation. It's been 10 years and he's still doing fine. They have gotten quite good at the operation and I think you'll do fine, quickly. Good luck!

wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  3. mah66

mah66 Active Member Founding Member

Depends on the procedure they use. Did my right hip from the front (anterior procedure) and I was shooting in 3 weeks. The next year they did my left hip from the side (posterior procedure) and I was off for 6 weeks. Twisting was the issue this time. I was 67 and 68 when they were replaced.

4. Seitz9010

Seitz9010 Mega Poster

The new replacement procedure used now by some doctors is a minimally invasive operation which is only a 1 1/2 to 2 inch cut. My neighbor just had it done a month ago and is doing very well. Don't know any more about it but he changed doctors so he could get this new procedure.

5. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

My Nephew had hip and femur replacement ( to the knee, 3 years ago) due to bone cancer, he has been cancer free and is doing well, last I heard ... He is young and obviously very resilient after going through such an ordeal ...
    Make up your mind and hope for the best , they have come a long way with the procedures ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. mah66

mah66 Active Member Founding Member

Don't get too excited about "minimally invasive"... the guy in the bed beside me had a MI procedure and his hip dislocated while he was still in the surgical recovery room. Seems the surgeon didn't have the room to get his fingers far enough in to notice that a tendon of the hip capsule had gotten trapped between the stem and the pelvis. Surgeon had to go back in that evening and remove everything and make a "normal size" incision to discover the problem. $h/T happens, but I'll take a longer scar over a double operation any day.

7. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

Had a total replacement of the right hip in 2001, as it was a non cemented replacement I could not put any weight on it for six weeks then gradually placing weight on it with support for another month. After a fall off a ladder in 2007 I broke my left hip, immediately after surgery I was able to place all weight on this hip. Different procedures require different healing and therapy methods but follow your surgeons instructions and all should go well. Everyone heals differently.