Setting up ATA field

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by DBrevit, Dec 28, 2015.

1. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

Hi All,
    I'm adding an ATA trap field to my range facility, the trap house is done the machine is in, some ground work will have to wait until spring (clean up and more grass), I set my machine to throw 22 deg left and 22 deg right and all points within, as far as I can tell this setting is legal as the 17 deg is not a limit, am I missing something as I keep seeing posts that note 17 deg as a limit.

As a side note I think they (ATA) should should up the speed to 50 mph, if for no other reason than the targets are more consistent in a mild breeze, I have other thoughts about the sport but I'm the new guy.

2. theloudone

theloudone Guest

3. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

4. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

What is the target line of 3 hole ?

5. jhunts

DBrevit it was slightly outside of a straight away from 1 and 5, 22 degrees is pretty darn close as a field depicted of Post 1 to point B to Post 5 is slightly less than 44 degrees, it is close enough that, that is what it appeared, and that is what people called it.

The objective of the #3 hole in a Win Trap was to achieve the objective of the stated rule. Targets no less than a straightaway from post 1 and 5. So in a light wind from any angle the setting would accommodate the rule. Though as stated in a strong wind it might be necessary to adjust the trap to the 2 hole make the throwing angle smaller or the 4 hole to make the throwing angles larger depending on the wind direction. Strong headwind 2 hole, strong tailwind 4 hole. Yes this was stated in the targets setting section of the trap manual, not the ATA rulebook as the trap manual was written to throw trap targets as depicted on the ATA rule book prior to 1996(?). Of course it was a normal understanding of trap then and not just ATA as depicted by NRA drawings.

What you have set should be the standard, it gets rid of the arbitrary use of angles set for a target position of 15-20 yards from the trap. There is no stakes or guidance to fulfill the understanding of the rule. Again what you have set should be the rule, in my opinion. The trap machine is to be set up to throw a minimum of 44 degree field at the trap, and as a guide the view for a far left and a far right target should be a straight away from post 5 or post 1 in calm wind conditions.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    DBrevit likes this.
  6. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

jhunts, Thanks for the reply.

I asked the question because I keep seeing posts on this and other forums along the lines of 3 hole will not come back, some shooters want soft targets so set 2 hole, it's within the rules to set 44 deg so why not, I set/checked my set up by measuring 60 feet from the 50 yard center pin to the left and right (straight line on the 50 yd arc) and in still air they land 6 to 8 feet shy (inboard) of the pins I put in, targets hit the deck at 51 yds and I can't get them to come back to the 50 for the life of me, so it's set as far as I'm concerned. State guy is coming out to check everything in the coming weeks.

7. jhunts

60 feet would be 23 degrees... 54 feet (6 feet inward) would be 20.7 degrees. In my opinion better than 17 and should be considered legal by any stretch of the imagination.

What is you variation on the distance, +- how many yards?

8. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

Targets never fall short of 50 yds, hit at 51 with no wind, head wind drops them right on the pin, a few go 53yds

9. theloudone

theloudone Guest

Page 46.

10. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

By the Sept 2015 book I can go as far as 54 deg and still be good, just went out and adjusted the machine to throw to my 60 foot off center pins ( within a foot). jhunts, if your math is correct this would still give me 4 to 5 deg each way for a breeze to stay in bounds.

11. jhunts

Technically it's probably a little long. What do you get for a radar speed and what is the height of the target ten yards from the trap?

12. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

I have 10 feet above post 3 grade 10 yards in front of trap, speed is 42 mph.

I wish they would go to 50 mph, targets look more consistent and stay on line better in mild breeze.

13. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

My field is set up north, north east, both sides have tall trees 100 yds out, down range is a 35 ft tall dirt berm 300 yds out with trees beyond, wind is mostly straight at the shooter or from behind.

14. jhunts

I should have been more clear, where on the field is 17 degrees a minimum angle and as 17 degrees sounds precise how is it measured.

I would use the recommended height of 9ft. Using 10 will cause high targets in any headwind.

15. theloudone

theloudone Guest

16. jhunts

I guess I was not clear again. I know what it says. How is it measured? How do you measure if the trap is set to ensure the field is not to narrow?

17 degrees is pretty precise, measured from 3bf. Where is that, where is 17 degrees left or right, can you see it?

17. theloudone

theloudone Guest

It's laid out on page 55. I know your trying to split hairs, if your issue is with the rule book take it up the people who wrote it. I was just trying to get info to the OP.

DBrevit likes this.
  18. jhunts

Who is splitting hairs, I am just asking how a person would ensure a minimum field (17 degree L/R of 3bf) is complied with. Much easier when you have a whole walkway to line up on or a phrase such as "not less than a straightaway from post 1 and 5", don't ya think.

I wonder if there an any old fields in the country that have 4 yard spacing on the posts, those straightaways from 1 and 5 would be some fun targets to go for. Has anyone seen 4 yard post spacing on a trap field or was that only in a book?

To add, if you drop your height from 10 ft to 9 ft, I think you will find your target placement close to or a little short of 50 yards, 1 turn on the spring so to speak and you will be at 44mph and a beautiful field to shoot on or so it would seem. Good luck. Of course if you use speed of 44 mph it will be too fast by rule, so stick to the stakes in calm wind and all will be good. Enjoy.

19. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

I will give it a try tomorrow (lower, takes two minutes), Thanks to both for the input.

20. iowa guy

iowa guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Jhunts,

Is this what you were looking for

The 17 degree angle will appear to be a straight-away from a point 3 1/2 feet to the right of post 1; the 17 degree angle will appear to be a straight- away from a point 3 1/2 feet to the left of post 5. This 17 degree angle refers to the sight line of the target from the house to 15 or 20 yards out and can be used for singles, handicap, and doubles targets.

21. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

Well I'm set at 46 deg, 9' 4" height at 10 yds, 42 mph, and tapping the top of a two foot high pin at 50 yds ( no wind, had to wait til it got dark ) on path to the ground, as I see it I'm done.

I don't know what all the fuss is about with regard to 3 hole, it's still legal as I see it, clubs should just set it that way and be done.

theloudone and jhunts like this.
  22. DBrevit

DBrevit Member

After reading many posts on this and other forums regarding the ATA and all the dis-function, I'm going to skip affiliation with ATA and just have a good practice range for members and trap shooters that want to improve skills so they can kick tail when shooting at a soft field event, I'm going to keep it set the way I have it (shooters that have tried it like it), I'm also going to add an ABT field (by the book) for more challenge.