Scouting Trip

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by BPskeeter, Jul 5, 2015.

1. BPskeeter

BPskeeter Active Member Founding Member

My wife and I took a scouting trip after church to visit a club that has re-opened in Gettysburg, OH.
    We didn't go to shoot, just to find the place, and to check it out.
    Needless to say, we were greeted by some of the nicest folks that you'd ever want to meet, & made to feel very welcome. Now we're looking forward to some future Sunday afternoon, when we will be able to stay and shoot!

2. fredoniarob

fredoniarob Active Member

Nice to hear that SOME shooters are still friendly.... was chased away from a club today in N.Y. that thought i was sandbagging... i do not gamble on myself... i know i am up and down so.... just trying new loads and choke combinations.

dr.longshot likes this.
  3. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Active Member Founding Member

OK TRAP SHOOTERS. If your ever around the vicinity of Wright Patterson AFB, stop in at the Rod and Gun Club and see what FRIENDLY is. The Gals and Guys there are a Fantastically Friendly,and YOU will find Yourself Welcomed. You can also see what hard angles, wind, trees, wild life and Airplanes can do to your game. Now if your 357, you will be able to shoot a Free round on me. The "GUNNY".

Family Guy and dr.longshot like this.
  4. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Brent....Thanks for the invite. What days and times is Wright Pat open for business. And directions.

Club name?

5. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Isn't the Club in Gettysburg Ohio the one that the Club-House is half underground ????

If that's it ... WOW ... great shoot, but take some BIG shells :D

6. Brent Paulus

Family Guy, it's just the Wright Pat Rod and Gun Club. It's open Saturday thru Wednesday. Sat and Sun 10a-6p, Mon and Tue 11a-6p, Wed 10a-8p. Open to all shooters. Members shoot for $4.00/round, non members $5.00/round. $35.00/ year membership fee. Club Manager Dale Schock, phone 937-257-3935. The club is located off of State Rt 444 West out of Fairborn. The club is located behind the Golf Course. From Route 4 go East on 444 about 1 1/2 mile. You will see the Golf Course on the North side of the road. The gate there is always open, and it leads to the Huffman Prairie Flying Field used by the Wright Brothers. Just follow the road and it will take you around to the Rod and Gun Club. Look forward to seeing y'all there.

dr.longshot and Family Guy like this.
  7. BPskeeter

The club in Gettysburg is called the Gettysburg Sportsmen's Club.
    It is located on Lee Rd. It is really just west of the village of Eldorado.
    And, yes, the clubhouse does sit a little lower than the trap pads.

The funny thing is, it is almost exactly the same distance from our house as it is to Middletown Sportsmen's, where we also shoot.

dr.longshot likes this.
  8. Brent Paulus

Family Guy, here's some better directions.

Wright-Patt Rod & Gun Club

CATFISH STOCKING JULY 2nd, 2015

Wright-Patterson's Rod and Gun Club offers hunting and fishing activities, skeet and trap leagues and registered shoots. All Wright-Patterson active duty/retired military members, current and retired base civilian employees, family members and contractor employees working on this base are eligible for membership.

Facility & Programs:

Five skeet fields
    Five trap fields
    Tournaments
    Leagues
    Stocked hunting area
    Stocked lakes for fishing
    Hunter education classes
    Trap shooting & Skeet Shooting classes
    Club house
    Pro-shop

Driving Directions:

675 north bound: Take 675 to 844 (merge right), get off on the 444 exit (on the right). Turn right onto 444, approximately 1/8 of a mile on the right is a gate (w/o a guard) turn right. Follow the road all the way around until you come to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign, the club will be the first large building on the right.

675 south bound: Take the North Fairfield exit. Turn right onto North Fairfield. Stay in the far right hand lane. Turn right onto Col Glenn. Approximately 300 yards after turning right on Col. Glenn, turn right onto 844. Follow 844 to the 444 exit. Turn right on 444. Approximately 1/8 of a mile on the right is a gate (w/o a guard) turn right. Follow the road all the way around until you come to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign, the club will be the first large building on the right.

70 east or west bound: Take the RT. 4 exit. Follow 4 until RT. 444, merge right on 444. You will pass a dam on your left and go through one traffic light. On your left will be an unmanned gate. Turn left into the gate. Follow the road all the way around until you come to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign, the club will be the first large building on the right.

© Copyright 2005 by Air Force Services Agency

Family Guy likes this.
  9. Brian Seibert

Brian Seibert Active Member

What are their hours of operations and directions?

10. BPskeeter

Gettysburg shoots on Sundays from about 10:30 - 6 and Wed. evenings after 4, if I remember right.
    I don't want to get you lost, so I'll just give you the address to MapQuest.
    It's 4512 Lee Rd. New Paris, OH

Like I said earlier, it's located just west of the village of Eldorado.

11. Brent Paulus

If any of You shooters happen to be in the Sidney, Ohio area. Stop in at the Shelby County Deer Hunters for one of their many shoots. They have Rifle, Pistol, and Trap. They hold a couple National Bench Rest Shoots in the year. Saturday night and Sunday Trap. You'll need to google them for the schedule and directions. They don't throw registered targets. But It's fun shooting there on a snowy winter night throwing White targets. By the way they are the Oldest Shooting club in the US. Chartered in 1858. Teddy Roosevelt was a charter member, Interesting club.

Family Guy likes this.
  12. Brian Seibert

I went on scouting mission this morning to the club bpskeeter was talking about at the start of this thread. The
    Gettysburg Sportsman's Club. I was first greeted by Dennis the owner,groundskeeper,head bottle washer along with several other titles that he really doesn 't want from the club. He was the treasuer of the club that ended 5 years ago. He has taken over this club and removed brush,redone inside restrooms, and maintain a club that was founded in 1963 and at one time has close to 400 members all out of his own pocket. They shoot Sundays from10:30-6pm and Weds. From 4:30 to dil dark. They do have lights on the grounds and can use them if the need arises. Please help Dennis in mind if you are in the area or must stop in and say"hi". This as close to Americana as it gets. If ATA wants to ground themselves as to what the ATA should be, this is a field trip that the BOD and EC should take. Thank you Dennis and continue your IMG_20150712_121046.jpg IMG_20150712_120744.jpg IMG_20150712_120744.jpg mission IMG_20150712_120744.jpg IMG_20150712_120635.jpg

Attached Files:

Family Guy likes this.
  13. Brian Seibert

Family Guy likes this.
  14. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

The ATA is small clubs like this one located all over the country. The ATA is people like you and me who go to those small clubs to shoot and even help with some of the duties.

There are a lot of clubs who only shoot one ATA event a month and the rest of the shoots are leagues and fund raisers. How ever you want to support the club isn't an issue as long as it is supported enough to survive and keep our shooting sports alive..

15. Brian Seibert

I agree. This man is spending money out of his own pocket to keep this club alive. There was a young man there today shooting. He didn't have a belt and was using a price of string from a grass trimmer to keep his pants up. Everyone kept giving him shells and trying to help him. When I left, I went out and got him another box of shells so he could keep shooting. A pretty humbling act, considering the money I have tied up in equipment.

Family Guy likes this.
  16. Dennis Wilson

Dennis Wilson Gettysburg Sportsman Club

Brian Seibert wow thank you so much for coming out today we are always glad to have new shooters or old shooters .and would to thank you so much for making a young man day even with out a belt,he just could not believe someone would just give him a box of shells. he made sure to tell me he would be back wed. to shoot. and that's what its all about once again thank you. once again we would like to invite all trap shooters to come out and have some fun. Wed.at 5.00 till ? fun shoot 16 -27 Sun 11.00 til- ? Map quest us at 4512 Lee Rd New Paris Ohio 45347 A big thanks to Brain and his wife.

Family Guy likes this.
  17. Brian Seibert

Dennis I hope that people on this website might be able to help you and your club get back on track. I know you need a lot of equipment to bring your club up to date. Don't be shy. There are a lot of special people right here that might be able to help. Keep up the good work and tell the young man just "shoot straight" and have fun. That is the future of that club. Good job and thank you.

Family Guy likes this.
  18. BPskeeter

Brian, I'm glad that you could make it out to shoot at Gettysburg Sportsman's Club!
    I wanted to come out, but we were having a going-away picnic for one of our Ass't managers at work, and I needed to be there.
    Dennis is doing a great job, and hopefully in two weeks, I'll be able to make it!

Family Guy likes this.
  19. 614shooter

614shooter Member

Great to see a positive post on this site!! My father lives pretty close to this area might be time for a road trip.

Family Guy likes this.
  20. BPskeeter

If the good Lord is willing, my buddy and I (and maybe my wife) will make it over to shoot this Sunday.
    I'm looking forward to it!

Dennis Wilson likes this.
  21. Dennis Wilson

Dennis Wilson Gettysburg Sportsman Club

BPskeeter thanks for coming out sunday always enjoy having new people come out to shoot,glad to meet your wife .sorry it was so hot .your are always welcome at Gettysburg . Dennis

22. BPskeeter

Dennis, I had a great time, even though it WAS a tad warm. But then, it IS July...
    We'll try to make it back in a couple of weeks, and hopefully my shooting buddy will be recuperated from his accident, as well.