Reviews of OSTA targets 2022

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Jim/Canton, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

Those of you that attended, how did you like the targets?

2. patch 2

patch 2 Active Member

Best targets I have shot there in years.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  3. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

In past years Ohio threw "tall" targets but this year they were lower and my scores were better

4. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Maybe they were set by the rules. A lot of shooters today do not know what a properly set target looks like. Sad but true. Roger C.

5. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

If in fact they were lower. wonder how far they were going?

6. 320090T

Lower doesn't mean not properly set. Speed and angles seemed fine.

rookieshooter likes this.
  7. Roger Coveleskie

320090T, You must be one of the shooters I was reffering to about a properly set target. Roger C.
    to.

8. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

I have shot at the Cardinal for several years and it’s been my experience that when the
    shot curtain went up the targets were set too low. Seemed like they were trying not to
    have the shot go over the curtain. The Buckeye had good targets some of the highest
    that I’ve shot since the curtain has went up. At the State they were equally as good of
    targets. The one thing that happened at the State Shoot was the traps ran out of targets
    several times on us. I consider that a Cardinal sin ( no pun intended). On Doubles Friday
    both traps ran out of targets on us. Not good. Also we had several traps with terribly slow
    speakers. When I go to a premier club like the Cardinal I expect a little better speakers and
    traps full of targets. I will keep going to the Cardinal because it’s a Great place and run very
    efficiently. JMO for what it’s worth.

9. 320090T

I shot at straights from one and five and that's a three hole target. The speed look much like home and we set at 43-44mph at the trap.
    Height wise, In my opinion, the targets were within the 8-10 foot range but on the low end. I liked them. I've shot every Ohio State Shoot
    since 1983 and these were the best set targets I can remember.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

That situation is becoming more common wherever you shoot. Quality help is difficult to find.

11. jamesbalog

jamesbalog Mega Poster

They were for sure lower, I struggled with them but there wasn’t anything illegal about them.

The doubles on the other hand were probably the nicest set doubles I’ve ever shot at cardinal

12. Roger Coveleskie

8 to 10 feet high, 48 to 50 yds., # 3 hole. That's the way to set targets. I'm pretty sure you can thank Brad for the excellent target setting. Roger C.

Jim Flynn likes this.
  13. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

The targets were fantastic, and consistent.

14. Joe Brumfield

Joe Brumfield Member

I thought they were great. My first time at the Cardinal so not sure how they were previously.

15. jastrapmaster

jastrapmaster Active Member

Brad had nothing to do with setting targets at the state shoot

16. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

After Brads input on the target setting for the Buckeye the targets were much better at the State Shoot this year than they had been the past several years.

Why don't they just go back to using a T Bar and a 50 yd stake. This would take away many of the variables that are present with radar gun setting. No 2 people hold the gun the same. Also different size of the person holding the gun such as height length of arms how the gun is pointed. T bar and stake. Hit the T bar target to the stake BINGO the targets are the same trap to trap. What ever happened to COMMON SENSE?

Dave Berlet

MOE, puablo, jamesbalog and 5 others like this.
  17. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

I agree, especially when in a chair.

18. Roger Coveleskie

jastrapmaster, Sounds a little like sour grapes, but Brad with his vast knowledge of the game and many shooters look up to that knowledge. Poor trap setting has had a definate detrimental affect on our sport.
    Dave is 100% correct T bar and a 50yd. stake would be nice. Roger C.

19. jastrapmaster

jastrapmaster Active Member

no sour grapes. The OSTA sets the targets at the state shoot.

20. Roger Coveleskie

I know that, maybe they listened to Brad. Most of the trap setters today do not know what the rules are. Roger C.

21. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Jastrapmaster, Anybody that has shot very much knows that the
    State Assoc sets all the targets for their State Shoot. But I believe
    that they saw how well the targets for the Buckeye were and tried
    to follow suit. Brad did a great job for the Buckeye.

22. Trap007

Trap007 Member

The problems with the OSTA aren’t their targets.

23. oleolliedawg

Does anyone really believe setting targets with a T bar will prevent shooters from asking for a reset? The T bar might work fine in still morning air but all bets are off when the wind blows. Same with stakes. Besides, stakes are only useful when the ground is level from the trap to the 50 yd. stake.

Rn3 likes this.
  24. Roger Coveleskie

007. Please tell us what is the real problem with the OSTA. Roger C.

25. Roger Coveleskie

oleo, It worked for many years until the ATA in their infinite wisdom improved on the target setting rules. And you see how well that worked out. Roger C.

26. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

27. oleolliedawg

Rodge, the big dogs got preferential target setting all those years you mentioned. As you might recall Kay Ohye often said in his clinics it's advantageous to follow his squad on his banks as he often asked for resets.

28. Roger Coveleskie

oleo, Did he reset to the rule book, or to his liking? Many top dogs ask for resets, they wanted them set to the rules.

29. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Ollie with your take on things you gotta be a full fledged biden democrat. When you lay out a field to use a t bar and a 50yd stake you need to shoot the field with a transient and have the 50yd distance set to the top of the stake or to a mark on the stake, but the ground doesn't need to be level. Granted there are some situations that this won't work. That could be a situation where a little common sense could come into play. Also it really doesn't make any difference how the targets are set if there is a noticeable weather change between when the targets are set and when the event ends. Common sense same as the rule book no target reset unless the targets become illegal. If they become illegal reset them to the stake and T bar and go on. By the way I typed this real slow.

Dave Berlet

MOE and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  30. Roger Coveleskie

David, You must remember Oleo was one of the many that championed the easy target settings. I liked you opening statement. Roger C.

31. oleolliedawg

Dave, you must be lucky enough to have fields that are flat enough to deal with your type of target setting. Here in PA we seldom have that type of arrangement. Some of our fields drop off considerably before a 50 yd stake while others actually go up some. You seem to be unable to ever see shooters in Ohio ask for resets even though the targets appeared directly below or above the box on the target setting bar. Are you telling us no more target resets in Ohio will be allowed after the initial setting unless some weather issues occur? BTW, I'm all in favor of that. An 8-10 ft of allowance in target height at 10 yds. in the rulebook sure does agree with me.

32. oleolliedawg

Dave, how do I set a legal target when my initial setting was at 9' Hight to a 50 yd. stake in still air but a gusty breeze began later from behind the shooter and targets were now dropping at nearly 42 yds on occasion and significantly lower? Please don't tell me to add spring tension or tell me it never happens!

33. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

When I TD at the Cardinal in August we will set a legal target and then no resets unless they became obviously illegal , like a broken trap would do. You set the birds by the rule book, weather does not make them illegal any more than a golf tournament allows a golfer to change the hole on the green or the T that is used because of a shift in wind.

If K said that it was most likely some of the BS that he used to like to feed his classes. Back in the day when I knew him he was like every other All American, it was unmanly to ask for a reset. If you wanted the respect of your peers you shot what was thrown.

After Neil and Taylor and the skeet shooter mentality they brought to trap shooting is when all this resetting BS started.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  34. oleolliedawg

Maybe it was easier setting a consistent target on an old Western trap than this new-fangled PAT trap junk. The break quality sure seemed better then too. No resets in Ohio-I'll believe it when I see it.

35. Roger Coveleskie

oleo, I shot with many of those big dogs. We never reset targets. When the whantabees were put in charge of setting targets, things started to go wrong with our sport, and many of them never made it to the big dog status. They just screwed up the game for everyone.
    I set 50+ fields at the old Phoenix club with a transit and the 50 yd. stakes were between 1ft. to 8 ft. high. The top of the stake was the 50 yd distance. You do not need flat land to set by the rule book. Do not blame the topography in PA. for the lack of ability to set proper targets.

36. oleolliedawg

The topography of AZ differs greatly from PA and many older trap ranges were built on land that wasn't prime real-estate I once stood on a hill in front of some trap fields where the 50 yd stake was at the bottom of a hill. When they threw a target it landed about 15 yds beyond a stake that wasn't visible from the walkaway. When I asked why the targets were so long the local trap setter stated he replaced broken springs with international springs since they were the only ones he had. Not really typical as a good example of target setting difficulties but the upper banks at the PSSA are quite similar. Good luck setting those with a 50 yd. stake!

37. BRAD DYSINGER

Hey Family Guy if you're not to big of a politically correct xxxxx to say what you saw in June at the Buckeye when you were there taking pictures maybe you can tell ollie how many resets you saw at the last shoot I was TD at.

38. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Yes I took the pictures. And for those that don’t know my body has after market parts. Walking can be a chore.

Harold the trap resetter was kind enough to drive me around in the reset cart. He was like the Maytag repairman. Nothing to do but haul the camera guy around.

39. Roger Coveleskie

I shot targets in 16 different states. I know of differing terrains. And it is possible to set by the book in all of them. PA. is no exception, lack of ability is most likely the reason.

40. oleolliedawg

I shot targets in six states but set targets in only one. I don't claim to be a local target setter professional in the other five.

41. Roger Coveleskie

Oleo, From what you have stated in previous post, you can not profess to even be a lousy target setter. You ignored the rules on target setting parameters, so you are not capable of setting targets any where for honorable men. Roger C.

42. oleolliedawg

I set the same targets you're currently trying to hit.

43. Dave Berlet

Roger, just remember ole ollie doesn't let the facts get in the way of his biden like stories.All that he needs now is kamala's cackle.

Dave Berlet

44. oleolliedawg

All you have to do is follow the rulebook, make targets fall at a 51 yd. stake regardless of wind at 8' high and of course in the 3-hole without re-sets and all shooters will be happy. I'll be looking for that exact scenario at Cardinal Center in August and I'm sure with Dave's and Roger's influence I won't be let down. Meanwhile, both of you have been watching "The View" way too often!

45. Roger Coveleskie

David, I think Oleo is getting grouchy. He seems to think some one from Arizona can influence the OSTA. He is so full of him self, that he does not realize the harm he has done to the shooting game with his lack of following the rules of the sport. No honor no shame. Roger C.

46. oleolliedawg

Sure I'm grouchy. Foot surgery last Tuesday and restricted to a walker with no driving. Roger, that said, you seem overwhelmed by my perfectly set targets. Maybe you should encourage mandatory restrictions on ATA shooting to Remington 870's and bubble gum chewing female pullers-none of that voice release crap. There. I fixed it.

47. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

When we were "younger" we liked those 18-year-old bubble gum chewing pullers. Especially the ones that worked the Grand at Vandalia.
    We always said it must have been "something in the water" that made them look that good.

Just sayin......

48. oleolliedawg

Actually, we'd still like them. Unfortunately, we wouldn't remember what to do with one.

49. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

My memory isn't THAT bad yet

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.