Penalty Handicap yardage?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by IowaShooter, May 17, 2022.

1. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member

Looking at the 2022 State shoot in New Mexico and I noticed the Penalty Classes seemed right but the Handi seemed wrong, they stated 23 yards was penalty yardage.
    Is this ok?
    Can they pick any yardage up to 25 yards if you are short targets.
    I thought a state shoot was required to follow the ATA rule book.

I guess I don't know does anyone know the answer to these.

2. BCB

BCB Active Member

The ATA rule book states that penalty yardage cannot exceed 25 yds, it doesn’t state it has to be 25 yds.

3. IowaShooter

Ok yes I see that..... Hmmm
    Wouldn't you think a State shoot would want to follow that?
    Just asking the question.

4. Charles Baker

Charles Baker Active Member

What part of that rule do you think they are not following?
    Reading comprehension is key!

5. IowaShooter

This appears to be a sore subject, Are you a shot yardage shooter that can't make it to the back line!
    I only asked to question if you don't like it, don't comment ... good grief

25 yards is the max, State shoots normally give better prizes, So they REQIURE you to be at the top of your game, AND if New Mexico wants you shot shooters to only go to to the 23 yard line for penalty then by all means go for it.
    The personal in charge have set this in there program and will be following it I AM SURE.

6. michigan_berry

michigan_berry Active Member

Pretty sure the Grand is the only major shoot I’ve heard of that actually uses the 25 as the penalty yardage cutoff. Most state shoots and satellites use the 23 or maybe the 24 as far as I understand it.

Turbine likes this.
  7. Charles Baker

Charles Baker Active Member

No, it's not a sore subject. 23 yrd penalty yardage is not an issue for me. They aren't going to move me forward to the 23 (or the 25).
    You, on the other hand, seem to have your panties in a bunch about them not following the rule. Again, what part of that rule do you believe they are not following?

8. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

I’m pretty sure the minimum penalty yardage at the PA and OH state shoots is 25. I don’t have a problem with whatever the minimum penalty yardage is. The money is gone (maybe not so at the Grand)- not sure why anyone would want to sandbag anymore.