Michigan Youth Team Shoot

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by BRAD DYSINGER, Jul 23, 2018.

1. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I talked to Bob Zimmerman about the Youth High School team shoot at Mason. He said they had about 1500 shooters, non registered. Anybody have any info to share with us? Brad

2. roger Brenner

roger Brenner Member Founding Member

Brad, I attended the National High School championships at Mason, Michigan as a vendor. About 18 months ago the MTA asked me to commit to being a vendor at an undisclosed "new" shoot on their grounds in Mason, Michigan...I agreed. It was a great experience. Here is what I have learned about the USA High School Clay target League-please understand that I don't claim to know everything about this League and if I am incorrect I am good with someone correcting me!!

The individuals and teams must be affiliated with a High School. The USA High School league originated in Minnesota-Minnesota has almost 8000 USA High School shooters. In many of the league schools, trapshooting becomes a "letter" sport. I spoke to shooters and parents from Oregon, Texas, California, Kansas, New York and more-many of the schools adopt different criteria for earning your "Varsity Letter". According to league guidelines, each shooter must register 50 trap targets per week during the shooting season. The USA High School League records the scores-much like the ATA does for registered shooting. Shooters must be dressed properly and wear closed toe shoes-no flip flops or sandals etc.

Michigan held their USA High School State championship shoot on Saturday June 16th. About 625 Michigan high school shooters participated in this event. It appears this HS league is taking hold and growing. I spoke to Hillsdale College Coach Bart Spieth and he told me that Quincy, Michigan schools have formed a team and practice at the Hillsdale range. Bart said there are other teams forming in his area and expects continued growth. Bill Hoffman (Big Don's son) coaches the Dexter, Michigan High School team. Dexter qualified two teams to participate in the National event-he had a team place 8th!!

This was the first National Championship for the USA High School League. It began Thursday July 12th with a practice day that began at 9am and lasted until 7pm running 25 fields of practice with scorers and range safety officers. Friday was team competition day with the top 80 teams qualifying for Sunday's championship event. Saturday was the individual event with the top 400 youth shooters qualifying for Sunday's championship event. It was a lot of shooting and activity for a 4 day period!!

It was a fun event to watch and learn.

3. Robert Zimmerman

Robert Zimmerman Well-Known Member Founding Member

I have been going to mason many years and have never saw the place so full of shooters and very happy people
    I enjoyed helping out when needed and it ran very smooth. Hope to help out next year if needed. The MTA should
    be proud of the way shoot ran.

4. yankee

yankee Member

Thousand of youth shooters. Non registered. And no Brad Dysinger?