Indiana State Shoot

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Elsie, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Elsie

Elsie Mega Poster

Just looking at results from the Indiana State Shoot this year. I see their numbers were down too. Main handicap was down 85 shooters from last year a roughly 25% reduction.

The winning scores were about the same as other years. Then I looked at the rest of the scores, and I'm thinking they had to have had some wind or rain or something because to see some good shooters post the numbers they did for today's doubles and handicap???

I know more dead trapshooters than live ones, and the live ones I know aren't going be around in another 10 years. In a few years a BIG SHOOT WILL BE A FULL SQUAD.

2. F3trap

F3trap Member

It was windy, rainy, and cloudy. I felt, that the targets didnt have as much face as years past, but that could just be me.

Elsie likes this.
  3. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

Crappy day, many scratched.

4. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The combination of people dying off, weather, people not happy with the way things are being done, there should be no surprise if and when the attendance drops off, the grand would be a good example of that looking back over the years ... Things change, not always for the better and people find that to be up setting in many ways so they walk away ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Elsie likes this.
  5. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Unfortunate the shoot was down. I think you have to hope for the clubs that make an effort to have the fields evened a little by drawing banks.

6. F3trap

F3trap Member

Also, for the NR, there was only trophies for class and category champions this year. Last year they gave champion R/U and 3rd.

7. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Family Guy,
    I shot the Indiana State shoot from Thursday afternoon through Sunday. Not sure that drawing for banks makes anything fair at that location when they are shooting 2 trap banks - 50 per trap. The east 1/2 of their traps have an enormous electric station as a background. The west half of the fields have a tree/sky background. I would say a system like they used to use, like Middletown still does, would be be far more fair than the bank draw system. Shoot 25 on 1 trap and move to the east skipping 3 fields. Shoot next 25 and skip 3 fields, and so on. I know we have some shooters that don't move around very good anymore but there were PLENTY of golf carts there to help with that. Every shooter would then shoot over 2 of the "preferred" fields and 2 of the "not preferred" fields. They could still draw for starting traps, although I doubt there would be any need for that using the old system. Might actually improve their attendance if shooters feel everyone is on equal footing starting out. Just my 2 cents worth.

Don

Just Joe likes this.
  8. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

When I was there the lady at the desk kiddingly called the electric system the "erector set." She said it was more popular than the sky tree combo. Tuff either way but at least the theory was you were drawing for banks. Anyone in the know should have given you a preferred bank.

9. Don Cogan

It's funny you mention that because I did have some folks ask me how we kept drawing banks one and two. We pulled squads for the last six events of the shoot when we arrived on Thursday afternoon and shot wherever the draw told us to. We shot bank 7 once, bank 5 once and banks 1 and 2 twice each. So the draw system was kind to us I guess. I shot my best handicap score of the weekend on bank 7, smack dab in front of that erector set!

10. Robert Zimmerman

Robert Zimmerman Well-Known Member Founding Member

Don, Did you see the workers on the erector set Thursday wear bright green shirts.I like banks 7 and 8

11. Don Cogan

By the time we shot handicap on Thursday those workers were probably at home drinking a beer! We left right after we finished which was after 7:30 PM. Thankfully we didn't get to see the bright green shirts.

12. Robert Zimmerman

Robert Zimmerman Well-Known Member Founding Member

I think you were right behind us we got done around 7;00

13. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

I was on #52, last squad on bank 5