hull/wad refresher

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by bobski, Jan 25, 2023.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

its been a while and I cant remember. so lets do some t/f.
    q:
    1. fed 12ga hulls are straight wall hulls. they are not compression form hulls. they have base inserts. they require straight wall wads like 12SO.
    2. rem gun clubs are not compression formed; they are beveled, and can take only wads like waa12 or rem figure 8's.
    3. gun clubs load the same as STS and nitro-27's.
    4. since rem gun clubs have base inserts same as federals (or do they) ...can 12SO wads be loaded in gun clubs?

thanks!

2. Ron fisher

Ron fisher Mega Poster

Why not use the correct wad for the hull you are reloading and take the guess work out of it ? Wads are easy to get and cheap.

3. bobski

because I have 3000 12S0 wads sitting here and I have 5000 gun clubs! lol.

4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

If you google, Can i use 12so wads in Remington gun club hulls. There is a lot of info available.

5. Just Trap

Just Trap Well-Known Member

Well, you have a mismatch with straight wall wads & tapered hulls. Can use the SO’s in any Federal or Euro hull as most are straight walled. Plenty of TGT 12 & Figure 8 wads available.

6. bobski

fly, that's what I thought too, until I loaded some up and got piff poop and misfires.
    very very early reloading data catalogs show 12SO loads being put in old school CF aa's.
    but again, once I loaded some up I got piff poofs.
    the classic straight wall beveled wad, straight wad beveled hull issue.

so I was just wondering if some rem gun clubs might be different inside? so much so that a 12SO would work.

7. bobski

try again...
    what is the official identification of the inside of a remington gun club hull?
    its not one piece CF for sure. i can see a separate base unit in there.
    but is it a straight wall or curved?
    and, are different year or type load factory hulls different inside? are 6 and 8 point hulls different inside?
    my 12SO piff and poofs occured using 8 point 1 1/8oz #8 loaded once fired gun club hulls.

8. bobski

ok, got the answer i needed. i did what flys' suggested...i googled the load data and it linked me to a conversation i had on the unfriendly site back in 2015.
    heres what i found i said!

"been using 12so in rem hulls for 1oz loads for some time now.
    im told red dot changed its receipe and its not the same red dot of say 1995 or so.
    result....im getting piffers and poofers and no igition issues.
    something about the content of new red dot doesnt jive with a 12so in a rem hull.
    im switching back to win pink wad."

further down in the topic many were claiming the cb12so is bigger than a genuine fed12so, causing tapered hulls to bulge at the bottom if used for full house 1/18oz loads.

so....its settled. 12so in fed hulls only. i will stay away from rem gun club hulls and 12so.