Handicap POI

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Rick LeFevre, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Rick LeFevre

Rick LeFevre Member

Do most of All American trap shooters, shoot a high POI guns? Is it mostly to keep gun movement down, or just plain easer for them to hit targets?

2. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

I’m not sure what percentage of the top A.A. shooters shoot a high POI, but I know several that do. If I had to guess I’d say they found through trial and error that a higher POI gave them better results. I’ve heard more than one A.A. comment that the older they get the higher they like the gun shooting. You can probably find some A.A. that like a flatter shooting gun.

3. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

It has to do with seeing the target and not having to cover it when the gun goes boom. And that makes it easier to hit the target

4. Ron fisher

Ron fisher Mega Poster

High guns can be an advantage for high birds...less when you get a low one.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Older I got, the higher I need.

6. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I've not shot ata for over 10 yrs but I went from a flat mod 12 in 1974 to a 100% high gun and did much better. The reason I did it was shooting live birds I needed a higher gun for Barnaby traps and after having a high rib put on my 682 in 1984 I shot it for the whole 1985 ATA season and found it helped trap shooting even more than live bird shooting. I didn't change my site picture at all, I never float the bird. I realized most of the targets I missed I shot under. I will also mention that I had a Dave Berlet adjustible stock too and always was adjusting it day to day event to event.

7. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

funny....a shoot over the top on my m12's.

heck, if they made 40 / 60 guns...id buy it. lol.

8. MOE

MOE Mega Poster Founding Member

I do the same and take a ribbing for it, must be great minds think alike!!!...lol

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  9. Guss

Guss Member

Flat shooters are well and good shooting up close. Then you get punched to the back and you find out how sorry of a shooter you are.
    Then you find out that you need spacers underneath the comb.

10-point and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Works until the bottom is dropping out of the targets. Then it's best to head to the bar-unless your name is Ray Stafford.

11. John G.

John G. Active Member

I like a high shooting shotgun for everything, it helps keep my face on the gun. If you cannot see it break you are going to have more misses.
    Just my opinion.

12. ken woodworth

ken woodworth Well-Known Member

High POI makes it easier because the bird is still rising if you shoot fairly fast.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Shooting a 100% high gun earned me AA-27. I have always shot a high gun and a high rib. I was raised that way so that’s what I always did. There is some adjustment on angles and low birds but once you figure it out it’s just like shooting anything else.