Flipping Cheddite Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by 10 gauge Bob, Dec 21, 2022.

1. 10 gauge Bob

10 gauge Bob Member

Since Cheddites seem to be the only 209 primers available, I've been using them in my skeet loads and they work fine. One small problem is, the plastic tray they come packaged in is too large to lay flay on the primer feed of my MEC progressive presses. With Winchester primers, I could lay the pack of 100 primers upside down on the tray and slide the cardboard away. I don't want to buy a larger tray for my primer feeds. Have any of you found an easy way to put 100 Cheddite 209's on the smaller primer feed trays on MEC presses? If so, what is it?

2. Faret

Faret Member

Cut the cardboard on one side at the top of the box. Lay the pack in the loader with the cut side toward the tube it will just fit. Slide the cardboard out away from the loader. Lift off plastic tray.

Pm686 likes this.
  3. 10 gauge Bob

10 gauge Bob Member

Thanks! I knew that someone else had to have had this problem.

4. winmat

winmat Member

i use a exacto knife and slit the top edge fold over cut off with sizzers put ion tray and slides out easy!! takes about a minute!

5. Harvey McCraw

Harvey McCraw Well-Known Member

I would just buy the new primer holder that will hold 200. It’s extra wide and well worth the money.

6. Steve Randall

Steve Randall Member

This is what I did except I cut the box completely apart. The two big sides are 3 and 5/8 inches by 3 and 5/8 inches. I just held one of the sides against the tray and slid it into the machine. Thanks so much guys for your comments. I knew someone on here would be a lot smarter than I am. :)

7. Bill J.

Bill J. Member

Why didn't I think of that??? The full sleeve is a bit tight in my PW 2000 primer tray. Great idea!!

8. 5 Straight

5 Straight New Member

Perfect. Excellent idea, thanks for sharing