Winchester Primer use instruction

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by southjblue, Jan 18, 2021.

1. southjblue

southjblue Well-Known Member

Google Winchester primer use instruction
    U may not reload any more.---
    SJB

wpt likes this.
  2. southjblue

Pay attention to primer drop---
    In a past thread of mine entitled OOPS U will see that I had a primer explosion.
    It came from a primer drop and I never could figure out what the cause was.
    Result was powder burn in my eyes. No eye protection used except my eye glasses
    NOTE---Winchester does not recommend auto primer drop.
    The recommendation of storage seems to be an important issue.
    I pay attention to a primer slipping under the terret (shell catcher).rotation.
    Thanks for looking and GOOD LUCK reloading
    SJB

Attached Files:

3. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

Be sure your primer drop tube is properly adjusted so it drops the primer at the exact right time in the cycle. You may have to raise or lower the drop tube slightly for proper drop in to the primer seat station. If it is too high, the primer will drop too soon, and can bounce out of the primer seat. (I use MECS)

4. southjblue

It is very important to watch every primer drop---Don't get lazy---The problem with the hydraulic
    and the electric is that you don't notice any resistance during the first stage. I also worry about
    when the loaded shell is released into the holding tray.
    In a past thread it was stated that a shell did explode during the shell drop.--

If U note in the primer use instruction that a primer is VERY sensitive and should be very
    careful during use.
    Eye protection is very important---A few wks ago while on the line shooting a shooter next to another
    had an extra powder load go off and the shooter nxt to him got powder burn in his eye.
    Even tho he had eye protection (shooting glasses) the powder got past the glasses on the side.
    The glasses have powder spots and will have to be replaced.

This game is fun. BUT we must be careful.
    I've been shooting many yrs and have many stories.
    SJB