Win super x model 1 doubling

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om, Jan 4, 2023.

1. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om Well-Known Member

What do you guys suggest….new to me scattergun went to shoot it and bang/bang it machine gun fires. Checked firing pin spring it was in 3 pieces that's gotta be the problem…replaced spring and nope shot it again boom boom. Now what…suggestions or who should I send trigger group to fix it.

2. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

hammer/sear engagement is worn.
    safely pointing down range, load 2 rounds. FIRE the 1st round but HOLD THE TRIGGER BACK...HARD....and see if it doubles thru the holdback. carefully release the trigger like a typical release trigger and see if 2nd round goes off. be ready for it and control the gun.
    lmk what happens.

robb likes this.
  3. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

If it has an adjustable trigger (length of pull) Check to make sure you're not double tapping it, I've had it happen to me and sent the trigger back to Kolar, thinking there was a problem with it. They cleaned it up & sent it back saying they couldn't find any issues with it. My friend Jeff suggested moving the trigger forward and the problem went away. Hope you get it resolved, double BOOM'S aren't fun.

4. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

Mike…Good question…the trigger pull is VERY light (possibly too light) and I thought I might be double tapping it without my knowledge. I shot it today and boom booom again. Tomorrow I will put on one of those slip on recoil pads to length pull and give it a try. I will shoot it with a determined effort to slap the trigger (hands off approach) and hope it reveals I am the problem. To be continued.

5. bobski

did you test my method? i never heard back from you.
    sxm1's never had adj triggers oem.
    but, see if your gun is a type 1 or type 2 trigger.
    the early ones had allen screws in the trigger shoe. if its set wrong, it may cause it. most took it out or switched to type 2 w/o it.

Michael McGee likes this.
  6. Jack O'Matic

Jack O'Matic Active Member

Someone has jacked with the trigger. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing and get it fixed.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Let's go back to that Stage 1 and stage 3 trigger. If it's a stage one (serrated trigger blade) there's an adjusting screw that some back yard gunsmiths screw out with a small allen wrench attempting to reduce trigger travel and pull weight. Turn that screw in a few turns and your problem might go away.

8. oleolliedawg

I'm still waiting to see a type 2 trigger. I've only seen 1 and 3's.

9. oleolliedawg

Mike, stay within your area of expertise. A SX-1 will never be a Kolar! Something like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. If you ever shot a SX-1 you'll soon find out you're currently shooting a Yugo!

10. bobski

the way i understand it is the stage 2 was an early retrofit to the single hammer spring set up prior to the factory published fix known as the stage 3. it will be curious to know if the OP has a stage 1 and if that screw is messing him up.

11. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

OK took boom/boom out today after discovering the hex screw in the trigger group was extended up allowing no trigger travel at all before firing…so I lowered it a bit to allow some trigger slack to take up before pulling the trigger to fire….result “same song second verse” the X1 machine gunned. What about making certain I didn’t keep my finger pressed on the trigger…nope machine gun! Now what?

12. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

Give Jeff Mainland at Kolar a call. He fitted mine 15 years & ~400,000 targets ago. When you figure cost per target it seems a bargain. Um, did I mention that one week is typical turnaround for service issues

13. oleolliedawg

Then we can assume the trigger sear was worked on for a lighter pull. Phillips can fix that.

14. bobski

trigger group worn. replace hammer trigger, trigger pin and sear. if you have another sxm1 laying around, swap trigger groups. re-test to confirm trigger group issue.
    the trigger group body is alloy. if the pin holes wear, the sear surface may not be catching flush on the let off due to cocked pivot points. good luck!

15. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

Damn YOU guys are good…ordering trigger parts now Bobski…hey any of you have an extra X1 trigger assembly ya wanna sell? You don't have to search out a customer…here I am.

16. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The best way for you to find an extra trigger is to put up a WTB post. The people that have one, and are willing to sell it, probably won't see this post since it's about a gun doubling.

Flyersarebest

17. bobski

maybe someone will let you borrow one of theres? ask around.
    but serious, before buying parts, why not just bring the gun to a smith and let him pinpoint the issue? if those holes are worn, itll be a new trigger frame. sometimes just a whole new trigger group complete, is faster and easier. again...have a pro pinpoint it for you.
    so many things can be the problem. the carrier can be dragging on the springs or sear, the bolt can be worn and traveling cocked in the rails....sometimes biting the bullet and having the pro look at it is the best route.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  18. oleolliedawg

bobski, you've been playing with pot metal 1100 triggers way too long. I've never seen a Winchester SX-1 trigger group ever wear out. They were made out of real steel. Let's assume some back yard gunsmith lightened the pull and go from there.

19. bobski

im not here to play (whos the biggest gorilla in the jungle.) just trying to help our friend. hope we all help him out.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  20. bobski

farmer frank...where do you live? how far from new haven conn? you know...where your gun was made.(wink)

21. oleolliedawg

Aren't we all?