Williams County Calcutta Big Money Winners???

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by BRAD DYSINGER, Dec 18, 2022.

1. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

This is for Joe Nester, I heard by the grape vine that the winner of the calcutta at Williams, Co on Sat. got around $6,000 and the runner-up about $3,500. I'd like to know if this info is true, because if it is it looks like the winner of a 17 squad non ATA event won more money than the winner of the prelim grand got at last this past years grand.

jamesbalog and Dave Berlet like this.
  2. Just Joe

Just Joe Administrator Staff Member

This is the type event that gets folks interested in the sport. It should be a roadmap for other clubs.

No one was shooting for points. Great job marketing the event. Advertising was free here. Even in this post Covid era we have had around 3,000 visitors a day.

jamesbalog likes this.
  3. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

What kind of gun did the winners have?

4. Joe Nester

Joe Nester Well-Known Member

Brad-
    You are fairly close. The winner was purchased by another shooter- so a good share went to the purchaser. The second place shooter was a co-purchase with the shooter, so some went that way too. The 50s were spread around between several shooters not in the top 3 Calcutta. 83 of the 86 shooters circled the card. Lewis paid down to 78. Thanks for this site helping get the word out. Looking at the scores- there were probably 40 shooters in the running, if it weren't for a couple targets or 1 bad trap, There was a pile of great people and great trapshooters there, many All-Americans, plus many new shooters, maybe their first Calcutta at Williams County. Lots of these shooters I had not seen in quite some time, I think everyone had a wonderful time visiting and getting together. My son Brad and I got to visit a little with George Snellenberger- one of the greatest of all-time. 26 degrees with a wind out of the WSW, heavy air with snow showers and 4 distinctly different trap environments is a great equalizer.

A big thanks to Roger Brenner for helping run this, it wouldn't happen without him. We have a great crew from the ladies who bust it in the kitchen for no more than a thank you, Big Ed that runs the Gun Club, the grilling guys, the trap help and my classifying/ squadding guys and the ladies that help run the office. Dick Barhorst made the trip just to be our auctioneer, had other plans and had to leave early. Teresa Brenner even found time to run a powder raffle with all proceeds going to the Midway account for youth trapshooters at Williams County. These people are all very generous with their time, and it is increasingly tough to find people like them.

Thanks to everyone that was there, a real pleasure for me to be part of it.

5. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Joe, is the payout sheet posted anywhere? Thanks For hosting and running yet another great shoot. -Jeff

6. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Forum Reporter Founding Member Forum Reporter

GREAT CLUB, SUPER VOLUNTEERS, GREAT FOOD (AT VERY REASONABLE PRICES) AND A VERY FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT. THEY KNOW WHO THEIR CUSTOMERS ARE AND GO OUT OF THERE WAY TO MAKE IT FUN TO SHOOT. THAT'S WHY THEY GET A GREAT TURNOUT. JOE THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT. YOU ARE A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF THE CLUB'S SUCCESS. OF COURSE THE PAYOUTS HELP ALSO. ROGER HAD PLENTY OF SHELLS AT VERY REASONABLE PRICES AND OTHER SUPPLIES. I AM NOT SURE WHO TOLD ME ONE TIME, "WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND". GLAD I COULD HELP MAKE THIS A GREAT SHOOT!!!! TOO BAD BRAD DID NOT SHOW UP, WE COULD HAVE LISTENED TO A FEW MORE STORIES BETWEEN HIM AND GEORGE.

7. JSKOLAR1

JSKOLAR1 Mega Poster

Joe

How many of these Calcutta do you host in a year. This was my first time and it was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next program.

8. Joe Nester

Joe Nester Well-Known Member

Jeff-
    We used to run 3 a year- Dec, Feb, March. Then covid hit, and Roger and I keep aging! Last year we had one in December about this time, but as Roger and I both do some winter time traveling with our wives, it becomes a challenge to commit to a definite date during that time when we will both be home to run the shoot. I have Lynn Miller hired to begin to run the ATA shoots as I do more traveling and edge towards retirement, or whatever that looks like, but to run the Calcutta is considerable different than an ATA shoot. So we'll see, nothing else this winter that we have on the books, but I'll talk with Roger. Looks like in my records we started in February of 2016 with our first Calcutta.