Why the K80 RT?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Tim n Tenn, May 15, 2021.

1. Tim n Tenn

Tim n Tenn New Member

I do not shoot a K80. Never had one. I have heard you don’t service them yourself. Triggers don’t break.

If that is true why is there a RT or removable trigger model?

And which is preferred?

2. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Makes cleaning a lot easier

3. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

Trigger is not removable on a standard K-80.

The RT version has been discontinued.

RT had almost no issues so I'm sure they decided to discontinue it so they could charge their outrageous prices for repair and labor

magnett and Hasbeen like this.
  4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

One of the primary reasons for discontinuing the RT model was the shortage of qualified gunsmiths to work on 'em. I only knew one-Norbert Haussman. The other was release triggers were never fully developed successfully. That said, the design was nearly bulletproof.

magnett and g7777777 like this.
  5. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

its a nice feature marketed for international shooters, where changing triggers (just in case) is allowed w/o being disqualified. it comes in handy.

magnett likes this.
  6. mpolans

mpolans Mega Poster

The father's K80 R/T trigger is the best I've felt on an O/U. It seemed to have much quicker locktime (time from when the trigger is pulled to the gun firing) than my Perazzis, Beretta 682, and Krieghoff K32. It might be measured in milliseconds, but it was enough for me to notice.
    Only downsides I can think of are:
    1. It's not externally selectable.
    2. Stock inletting is different, so you can just put any other K80 stock on it.

magnett likes this.
  7. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Kreghoff does not make the release hooks for the RT trigger any more. If you need them they are listed for sale on e-bay. Roger C.

8. mpolans

mpolans Mega Poster

Darn typos. That should read:
    My father's K80 R/T trigger is the best I've felt on an O/U. It seemed to have much quicker locktime (time from when the trigger is pulled to the gun firing) than my Perazzis, Beretta 682, and Krieghoff K32. It might be measured in milliseconds, but it was enough for me to notice.
    Only downsides I can think of are:
    1. It's not externally selectable.
    2. Stock inletting is different, so you *can't* just put any other K80 stock on it.

9. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Very very poor resale-- you need a different stock than the normal K80 and release triggers did not work--- they just did not leave enough space

Gene

oleolliedawg likes this.
  10. Seitz9010

Seitz9010 Mega Poster

If you have time educate me.....why dont the release triggers work?

11. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

The cavity fits tight with pull hammers. Most release systems require more room to put in sufficiently robust Parts . A friend of mine, name withheld, who has been the CEO of two other shotgun manufacturers called it a bad design defect

Gene

oleolliedawg and CCfan like this.
  12. mpolans

mpolans Mega Poster

I don’t think I’d say it’s a “bad design defect.” Sounds like it’s just not designed to have anything but pull triggers. I’ve never heard of anyone having a problem with a K80RT with pull trigger.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  13. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

I owned one.

Best pull trigger Kr. ever made.

14. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

The release hooks were to soft. They would wear it was the problem they had. Roger C.