Why Mexico? Why Mexico now?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by merlo, Dec 14, 2022.

1. merlo

merlo Mega Poster Forum Reporter

Now comes the ATA Board of Directors with a recent move that may be confusing.

The BOD of Directors (Delegates) voted to have Mexico as part of the Southwestern Zone. The minutes say this was an unanimous vote. That is not the information I received.

If this is a great idea, why wasn't this done decades ago? What changed?

I report. You decide.
    merlo out

--------------------------------------

upload_2022-12-14_21-51-21.png

2. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Thanks to Brandon today the South West Zone is Mexico. Nice to hear you are still alive.

Roger Coveleskie and Dobyns like this.
  3. 10ga32

10ga32 Active Member

Pat….easy puzzle.

There will be Mexican Grandes. Executive Committee Members and ATA Director will be required to attend the shoots.

Well done Amigos. Happy Travels.

BRAD DYSINGER and Flyersarebest like this.
  4. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Attention Phil Kiner

Did you vote for this?

5. anthony morton

anthony morton Mega Poster

Never saw a Meskin National shooting ATA trap.

May have used a stolen trap gun from San Antonio to rob someone.

6. SOC

SOC Active Member

Phil won’t have a problem telling us how he voted.

7. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

How can any of us attend a shoot in Mexico when you can’t transport a firearm across the border? (W/o a permit from their national defense minister) Did that little detail slip by them? Maybe they think they can write a permission slip like they do for kids in school. This really sounds well thought through.

mudpack, Ken Cerney, rrisum and 2 others like this.
  8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

In a few years we'll be a part of Mexico.

9. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Mexico will now have as much voting power as the State of Ohio or PA. Considering the corruption in Mexico the ATA could be a good fit.

BRAD DYSINGER and Flyersarebest like this.
  10. EUREKA Post 2

EUREKA Post 2 Member Past State President

Ha Ha.
    Phil has never justified any of his votes publicly that I know.

Paging Mr Kiner.

11. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Maybe they will move the mistake, from Sparta to Mexico. Then you can shot trap with a machine gun. The way it looks we will not have many American shooters left, and the ones left could care less how bad the B.O.D. and the E.C. screw up the organization. HOW DID WE LET THIS HAPPED TO OUR ORGANIZATION?
    Roger C.

12. phil kiner

phil kiner Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Eureka I don’t know what the F your problem with me is
    but, I don’t appreciate your disparaging comments.

You don’t know me.

firewater, lockingblock, LCH and 2 others like this.
  13. EUREKA Post 2

Nope don’t know you. I know you are a delegate. I know you have been around a lonng time. So….as a delegate what was your reasoning for voting how you did? Did you vote for adding Mexico? I am guessing questions to a delegate is disparaging. But, I hope not.

Do you have an answer?

14. 10ga32

10ga32 Active Member

Sheesh. All someone asked you was to justify your voting record. Paranoid much?

15. LCH

LCH Mega Poster Forum Leader

ATA numbers in the US are dwindling due to older shooters departing the sport, rising cost to shoot and lack of new shooters entering the sport.

Canada will not be permitted to own guns in my guess another 5 years. The US not too far behind them. Mexico is a outlier straw to grab for to keep registered shooting alive especially where the numbers are (west/south west).

Clam likes this.
  16. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Do they shoot a lot of registered targets in Mexico ?

17. Roger Coveleskie

They shoot a lot of Mexicans down there. Do not know if they register them. Roger C.

18. EUREKA Post 2

All good questions.

About registering Mexicans, I think that depends whom claims the target.

It seems the delegates only come on here to humbly state how many 200 straights they have. Paging a delegate.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  19. PaulLori27

PaulLori27 Active Member

Do we have Mexicans on the forum?

20. Roger Coveleskie

The EC is looking for a way to pump up the membership numbers. Did the B.O.D. vote for this? Roger C.

21. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

Wonder who will be “elected” delegate at the Mexico State shoot this year. Want to bet one has already been “selected”? Actually how can a country be recognized as a state? Mexico is divided into several separate “states”. I would think each would want a piece of the action.

22. Kiehl

Kiehl Well-Known Member

Yes they voted on this Roger. Delegates aren’t talking I guess.

23. oleolliedawg

No comprende!

24. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

What is the problem with Mexico? After Title 42 ends there won't be any Mexicans in Mexico

25. Digodell

Digodell Active Member

I’m neutral on the inclusion in the SW however there is so much ignorance in regards to this. 1. Mexico has lots of avid shotgunners. 2. Mexico has excellent bird hunting. 3. Permits are not hard, in fact easier than many other countries I have been to. 4. There is a highly active pigeon circuit throughout Mexico. 5. Many MEXICAN nationals travel in the SW for shoots already. I would think some of the cold country shooters would enjoy a nice southerly shoot at a destination spot in the winter.

Clam and A26A like this.
  26. phil kiner

phil kiner Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

It took some time to research this because I didn’t remember it at the annual meeting.
    I was about 15 minutes late getting to the meeting and the vote on this occurred before I got there.
    Had I been there I would’ve voted for it.

Clam and A26A like this.
  27. Retre

Retre Member

This makes way too much sense. That's why i'm not buying it. There has to be a conspiracy.

28. oleolliedawg

Does this mean we'll have to play the Mexican National Anthem at our PA shoots? Time to brush up on my Spanish! If PA keeps adding anthems the starts will keep getting later and later. Oh well. we played the National Anthem in Canada for the one shooter in attendance so what's so bad about Mexico?

29. Roger Coveleskie

digodell I have shot in the south west for 32 years, and have never seen a Mexican shooter of trap. where did you get you info? I have seen a couple at live bird, but none at trap. Roger C.

30. oleolliedawg

Rog. better brush up on your Spanish since AZ will soon be overrun with illegals if they can find more water. Maybe free shooting will be one of the perks offered to keep 'em happy.

31. Just Joe

Just Joe Administrator Staff Member

The security system can distinguish approximate location of forum member IP addresses. Our system says we have many IP addresses that legitimately come from Mexico. The system does not search for personal physical addresses.

We have Mexican IP addresses on board.

Many of the IP addresses are static, usually means non mobile phones.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  32. Roger Coveleskie

I have nothing against Mexico joining the ATA. I do have a problem having them in the S.W. ZONE. They should be in a zone of their own. They are not a state they are a country treat them like one. Roger C.

33. Rocketfan

Rocketfan Active Member

No one answered the OP. Why Mexico? Why Mexico now? I am guessing none of the delegates can answer the question. Kiner couldn’t answer it. He could only say he missed the vote…,which no longer rings true.

Rhode Island and Mississippi don’t have much for trapshooters. So why not Mexico? I think someone gets a bonus for the added members. Jmho

34. michigan_berry

michigan_berry Active Member

Canada’s broken up into different zones. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are in the Central. British Columbia, NW Territories and Yukon are in the Western. Atlantic Provinces, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are in the Eastern. Not to mention Brazil in the Southern, Australia and New Zealand in the Western. What makes Mexico so different it needs its own zone?

35. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

Now that OH and PA have even less voting power but still have most of the shooters, it is even more obvious they need to dump the ATA. OH and PA —- it is time to break away from the ATA.

It is bad enough Mississippi and Rhode Island have the same voting power as PA and OH. Now we have the Cartel across the border.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  36. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

What does the first "A" in ATA stand for? Does this mean the ATA will be voting on a name change soon?

37. Roger Coveleskie

mudpack, It stands for AMATEUR .

38. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Ahh. At the ATA's inception, the first A stood for American.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  39. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

That’s the old org. That’s the one that had voting rights for life members. Third A for America

Roger Coveleskie and jwise like this.
  40. Charles Baker

Charles Baker Active Member

Yeah, it has only been Amateur Trapshooting Association for about 100 years

41. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Really Charles Baker….?

So Charles, looking back at the old minutes, please tell us why the old minutes say Amateur Trapshooting Association of America?

———————-

AMATEUR TRAPSHOOTING ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA MINUTES OF CONTINUING EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING COMMENCING AUGUST 7, 2001
    At 8:21 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time, on August7, 2001, Sol Holcomb, President of the Amateur Trapshooting Association of America and Vice-President of its Southern Zone, called this Continuing Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Amateur Trapshooting Association of America to Order, after roll call and confirmation of a quorum. In addition to President Holcomb, those present and answering the roll call were: Southern Zone; Vice-President Phil Wright, Eastern Zone; Vice-President Thomas E. Acklin, Central Zone; Vice-President David Kaiser, Western Zone; and Vice-President Thomas Arvas, Southwestern Zone; Ex-Officio Henry Carroll; Thomas Burkey, Treasurer; Robert E. Melton, Secretary; and Executive Director John Norris. Proper Notice was given for these Continuing Meetings, and all meetings are scheduled to be held in the Executive Committee Meeting Room at the Main Offices of Amateur Trapshooting Association of America, at 601 West National Road, Vandalia, Ohio 45377.
    After discussion and on Motion of Vice-President Wright and second by Vice-President Acklin it was unanimously
    RESOLVED that the dates for the year 2002 Grand American will be August 8, 2002 through August 17, 2002, inclusive, at the Association's Homegrounds at Vandalia, Ohio.

Tell us Charles if these minutes are 100 years old.

42. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

The above was the question.

43. shortbarrel

shortbarrel Active Member

More important than what the A stands for, will their be any taco stands at this years grand or would that be racist?

44. Charles Baker

Charles Baker Active Member

Geez! Are you arguing with yourself now? You pointed out that the first "A" in ATA was not "American". I merely affirmed what you posted and noted that it had been "Amateur" for nearly 100 years. Try to keep up!

45. Clam

Clam New Member

This thread confirms the many elitist attitudes that are contributing to the steady death of this sport. If you don’t want Mexicans, and many others participating, just show them this thread. You will succeed in continuing to have the sport all to yourselves.

46. oleolliedawg

My organization accepts nearly anyone with cash and a shotgun. In 60 years of active trapshooting I've yet to see a Mexican participating.

47. Roger Coveleskie

Clam, Stick it in your ear. How is it going to represent the whole country the size of Mexico? They have many states just as we do, they should have state organizations. They should also have their own zone. Just sticking them in the south west zone is an afront to the south west zone shooters. Roger C.

48. michigan_berry

michigan_berry Active Member

Again I ask, why? Canadian provinces’ memberships are spread across three existing zones but Brazil, Australia and New Zealand are lumped into existing zones as whole countries. I could see maybe splitting up some Mexican states into the Western or Southwestern zones. What makes Mexico so different or so special that it should get its own zone?

49. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Dan and Dave have spanish blood in their veins, and were/are/still kool trap shooters in a pinch.