What would Neil Winston say?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by butterly, Apr 6, 2021.

1. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Many of us knew the late Neil Winston. We know he worked to make the targets easier. I do not want to argue that point or fallout.

Like or hate Neil, if you knew much about him you had to acknowledge his expertise in the ATA bylaws. His talents for getting things done in the ATA were better than anyone in my lifetime. And many hated what he was able to do.

All that above being said...he would laugh at the apathy within our organization. On this board was a thread asking if our delegates know their jobs.

What would Neil say if he thought the ATA was waiting for permission to hold the grand? I think Neil would have called a Board of Directors meeting long ago.

Your thoughts please.

2. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I talked with Neil several ( to many ) times on the phone, Neil was Impressed with Neil and he liked to double talk ... In reality the best thing about Neil was his dog Kyra ... He took great pride in his ability to make some people look ignorant, which in reality made him look pretty stupid on numerous occasions ... He liked to say things and retract them while denying he ever said such a thing ... I got smart and copy and pasted several things, saved them in a file and when he would deny saying something I would repost it to jog his memory ... He eventually blocked me and I did the same in return to him, made life a lot easier and much more pleasurable ... I will give him one thing : Nobody could makes charts and graphs like he could to prove a point even if the point was wrong ... Until you mentioned him, I never gave him a second thought ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

THEUNLOADER and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  3. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I've said it before so I'll say it again, Neil Winston was the biggest ass I ever met in trap shooting and I've met a few.

THEUNLOADER, John Trap and wpt like this.
  4. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Neil did some good stuff in his lifetime, but a very large and fragile ego got in the way of his being a truly good human being.

Hoosier8 likes this.
  5. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Member

Mudpack is right. And I don’t think Neil realized the damage easier targets would do to the sport.

I doubt Neil would have left any decision making up to the EC. There would be a meeting.

I hear he was friends with this “merlo” on the site. Strange bedfellows.

Elsie likes this.
  6. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Let's not forget, Mr. Winston only had one vote. A majority of delegates voted in favor of reducing the long-established target angles. Many still believe it was a good and necessary change.

I think they were all well-meaning, but failed to use history as a guide, whereby making a not so smart decision.

HB

mudpack, Elsie and wpt like this.
  7. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The thing is, the "majority of delegates" were 'like-minded' in a self-serving way ..... So it didn't take much of a salesman to get it done .....

The occupy-the-27 nanny-sport people thought 80's scores looked better the 70's scores ..... 'They' still couldn't win a practice with the 'kids', but thought it was enough to keep the public records shame to a minimum .....

FWIW ..... It was always interesting trying to tell someone, that aiming a bench-rest shotgun at a piece of paper, had little to nothing to do with shooting flying clay targets .....