Welcome Blowin' Smoke - book by Steve Carmichael - Journey to the Back Fence and Beyond

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Just Joe, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Just Joe

Just Joe Administrator Staff Member

We have a new vendor on the site. You will see Steve Carmichael's book - Blowin Smoke.
    Journey to the Back Fence and Beyond.

https://www.amazon.com/Blowin-Smoke...1&keywords=blowin smoke&qid=1634336368&sr=8-2

The topics in this great book are often discussed here. This should fit right in.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

From the Amazon site ........ One person's journey through the golden years of trapshooting in the United States as both a competitor and gun club operator. Includes visits to premier facilities that no longer exist, and stories of the colorful characters that frequented them. It was a time like no other when tournament prizes included substantial cash, gold coins and Cadillacs. This was a period that will never be repeated.
    --------------------
    Curious quote ... "This was a period that will never be repeated." What do you think?

2. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

Mine is due in on Tuesday the 20th

HistoryBuff and wpt like this.
  3. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Forum Reporter Founding Member Forum Reporter

Got my copy in the mail today.

Agrid, HistoryBuff and wpt like this.
  4. T Jordan

T Jordan Well-Known Member V I P

It is a great book from a guy that ran and seen the best of times

5. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

I really need to order a copy. I loved the memories of those years from the mid 70's to mid 80's. No voice pulls, easy targets and chasing points. Even then those were the years I broke my highest scores. It may had to do with the adrenalin rush I got shooting those competitive targets and the since of Pride one can only get from posting a winning score in those ''Golden years''.

6. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

A great book. Reading it was a trip down memory lane. The hay days of trap shooting. Thanks Steve for the trip. Roger C.

HistoryBuff and dr.longshot like this.
  7. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed reading Steve's book as it brought back many memories. One in particular was his story of how he got his first model 12. The 1961 Grand American Handicap was special to me also. There was one 99 and 6 of us tied with 98. In the shoot off I finished as runner up and Steve's dad I believe finished 4th.

Dave Berlet

HistoryBuff, dr.longshot, MOE and 3 others like this.
  8. SanRemo32

SanRemo32 Active Member

Didn't you and Ned also win the "Brother/Brother event in 1961 at the Grand with a 394?

9. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I've read about half of Steve's book so far and am enjoying it. It brings back a lot of the memories of those days. The shooters he talks about, and Steve, were competitors in the best way. We shot against each other in the daytime and would have a drink together in the after hours.

The thing you can see by reading Steve's stories is that most all of those old timers (Me included) were hunters and fisherman who shot trap. I think this book gives a shooter of today some inside info on how we lived and approached trap shooting back then. It was always about the money but we craved the competition, not the ribbons.

You could do worse than buying this book if you like the sport of trap shooting.

10. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Yes we did. Our first B&B win was in 1958. Altogether we won the B&B title 6 times and Dirk and I won the Parent& Child title 4 times.

Dave Berlet

11. Wembley

Wembley Member

That's really a great book

HistoryBuff likes this.
  12. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Steve and I reminissed those good ole days when he , brought back those good ole days when i shot the last shoot at HIS Las Vegas Club, and I got the CD of my win and TIE and the shootoff, I got 2 copies of it and gave my son a copy of him shooting the Hdcp, The Fall Las Vegas Handicap shoot was a memory for me, I won lots of money there in my years of the 80s & 90s let alone the last handicap, I sent Ken Cerny my copy for him to copy as he was on that CD + he sent me more copies. Steve and I talked about the Cadillac Shoots at the Reno club, and other good times at other Las Vegas Shoots, I will get a copy soon, so many memories of good shooters.

GB......................................DLS

HistoryBuff and Ken Cerney like this.
  13. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

A great read by one of our sport's great shooters and ambassadors.

Neal Crausbay nailed the Foreward

HB

14. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

My Book by Steve is on it's way

GB.................................DLS

15. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Got my book yesterday. Have read the first twenty pages or so. Pretty interesting, so far.

16. Cargodog

Cargodog Active Member

Really enjoyed the bit about Stafford shooting the young lady scorers "pet" gopher!!

17. mudpack

About 3/4 of the way through it. Getting less and less interesting with each chapter.
    Too many hunting and fishing stories, and not enough about trapshooting.

18. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

It is also a story about the man. Very interesting. Roger C.

19. Elsie

Elsie Mega Poster

I ordered mine today. Should be here in a few days.

20. mudpack

Getting close to the end and it's getting more interesting by the page.

Roger Coveleskie and HistoryBuff like this.
  21. I read it in one sitting.
    Steve is a gentleman and a true trapshooting ambassador. He probably wouldn't remember me, but I had several conversations with him over the years and attended more than a few shoots at LVGC.
    Sure wish trapshooting was like it used to be.