Waterfowl Gun

Discussion in 'Hunters' Talk & Fish Tales -' started by Speedshots0, May 30, 2022.

1. Speedshots0

Speedshots0 Active Member

Looking at getting a new waterfowl gun before next season. Would like to keep it under a grand, any recommendations for an affordable waterfowl shotgun? Thanks in advance.

Trapstarr likes this.
  2. C-Money

C-Money Member

I tell ya...a good pump gun is hard to beat in the waterfowl blind. They work. Seen to many Semi autos fail to ice or sand, or to general uncleanliness. A BPS or Super Nova will go bang every time.

3. frogjump

frogjump Active Member

I got an A400 Xtreme Plus late January 2019. It is a great shotgun. Shoots everything from trap loads to 3 1/2 Turkey shells, although even with kickoff, shot a 3/12' 2oz load of TSS one handed it kicks a little. I shoot lights out with mine. I have A391 Urika 1 and Urika 2 Beretta Xtrema 1 and 2. Hands down A400 is best of the bunch.

28ga guy likes this.
  4. gth245

gth245 Active Member

Benelli Super Black Eagle is a nice shotgun. 1300 bucks should get you a NIB

rifle1 likes this.
  5. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Might consider, do you mind ejecting shells to the guy next to you while your in a blind when using an auto?

rrisum likes this.
  6. King Shark

King Shark Active Member

Hard to beat an Auto 5 or a Beretta 303.

28ga guy, BRAD DYSINGER and Duck like this.
  7. Bc99

Bc99 Member

Winchester SX4 does the job and is reasonable.

Duck likes this.
  8. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

First day hunting with a buddy with a auto loader in the blind, I didn't say a word -- Brought my A400 xtreme left hand the next day and made sure I was on the right side. First time he got hit in the head with a empty -A light finally went off --Ask if a rubber band or knock down would work. Some people just don't think--Have done the same thing on the trap line.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  9. Trapstarr

Trapstarr Hall monitor

Hard to beat an Auto 5 or a Beretta 303.

10. Sgoose

Sgoose Mega Poster Founding Member

I been hunting duck & geese for thr last 50+ year. Start with my 1923 Winchester model 12 28 inch plain barrel with a Modified choke untill steel mandate. Call Climber tool company and had them send a .720 rim & open up the barrel to IC choke have used it since that time. My lass trip to the marsh was Decmber of 2021 was a great day had mix bag a brace bull sprig (pintal) & 4 green head teal plus a bar belly ( white front goose) all at 30-35 yards out of the boat . Not to bad for old fat man. Have pass it down to my son & he is hunting with it. I think it will last forever .
    Sgoose

11. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I think the Win Mod 12 is the perfect shotgun. The one I shoot the best is a 28 inch field gun. I have both full and moified one's.

When the weather is bad I have a forty year old Beretta 302 that I've killed lots of birds with that I use. I've shot Ducks, geese, pheasant, turkeys, and a few deer. I have several bbl's for this gun. I've also shot trap and sporting with it as well as live birds. I call it my meat gun. But I am a model 12 guy at heart. A model 12 will out last anyone alive today. I don't think you can say that about a Benelli auto or a even a Beretta. The A 5 will still be around though I'd bet.

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Super nova kicks way to hard when you shoot a 3.5” shell through it. I personally wouldn’t own one.
    Here in idaho we hunt in the harshest conditions invented. Sand, water, mud, rain, ice, lots of snow and frigid temps. All we use is auto loaders and if you clean them often and know how to do a little maintenance they will serve you well

13. rifle1

rifle1 Michael Allen

Browning Maxus ! its lightweight and has fast cycling action. It is designed to reduce recoil and has a durable and reliable system

14. Been shooting a Browning Maxus for the past couple years and I like it. For some reason Berettas never seem to feel right to me, plus I prefer the safety at the rear of the trigger guard

15. Jack Olson

Jack Olson Mega Poster

Get your self a Tri Star and shoot them all, there great guns for the money.

16. truceball405

truceball405 Sharpshooter

1959 Browning Belgium made A5 12 Mag

17. 1100 Remington Man

1100 Remington Man Member Founding Member

IMG_0653.jpeg

I have been using this since 1976 1100 3inch Mag with a lot of extra barrels. Being from Iowa it has done it all Upland Waterfowl and Big Game.