VietNam Vets

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by Gia1, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

How many on this site are Viet Nam vets who shoot Clay targets for fun or registered targets.
    I was with 3rd battalion 26 Marines 1968-69. Spent time in North, Dong Ha(KaeSon )Quang Tri, Phu Bi and DaNang plus 6months on Float faze. Our Battalion went aboard ship going up and down coast. When any unit needed support we were choppered off. Lucky us we spent a total of 13 days aboard Ship during the six months. I've shot guns since 16. Shot some trap in 20's. Started registered Trap at 44. I have over 70,000 register targets. Love the sport but age and eyes are against me.
    Love to here how many VietNam vets shoot for enjoyment and piece of mind. SemperFi

History Seeker and Hasbeen like this.
  2. nanoots

nanoots Well-Known Member

thank you for your service an may god bless all of you.

3. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

Thank you sir.

4. Sgoose

Sgoose Mega Poster Founding Member

68 through 70 DaNang Vietnam , Venten Laos, Ramson Thailand .
    Thanks
    Sgoose

Jim Flynn, History Seeker and Hasbeen like this.
  5. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

Thank you for your service and sharing.

6. Ralph Dudley

Ralph Dudley Member

Served mainly in II CORP South Vietnam with 1st Air Cav, LZ English and other scenic places, and with MACV, Qui Nhon, 67-69, USAF Forward Air Control Combat Radio Operator. Really got hooked on trap after retiring 8 years ago.

7. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

Thank you for your service and glad your into shooting sports. My final 8 months I was NCO fire directional control for 2 -81's with line Company and all 8 Motor's when Battalion was together. I thought there would be more Vets into Clay target shooting but Glad your hooked Shoot straight and have fun.

8. Ralph Dudley

Ralph Dudley Member

I have a few shooter friends who are Vets, some of them are Nam vets. We bore our non-Vet shooter friends with tales of TET or other battles, C-rations, captured weapons, Salem cigarette trades, and call signs.

9. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

please thank your friends for their service. All vets have stories about their times in service. C rats sucked most were made in the early 50's. We used the 4 per pack Pall Mall cigs in with C rats for Poker chips when we we all together (Battalion or Company) which was not very often. Thank you for posting.

10. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

22 years navy. 74-97.
    started with the pull out.

11. Hasbeen

Hasbeen Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for your service and god bless!

History Seeker likes this.
  12. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

Glad I served my Country, deeply saddened for the loss of friends and fellow service men and women who paid the ultimate price. They are never forgotten. VietNam vets are the ones that got the Government to start Veteran's clinics and Vet Centers. Vet centers are great asset especially for Viet Nam and Irag Vets. They are very supportive and can help with working through VA claims and benefits you've earned. The hard part is to start going to Clinic and Vet Centers. Every Veteran should utilize the benefits these two supportive organization give. As a Combat Vet that utilizes the Vet Center for counselling, support and group meetings with other Vets I encourage you to start using them. They are there for you. Thanks for your service.

13. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

For some 40+ years I made a visit to see my old school friends who passed in Vietnam.

I would talk through tears, and they did the listening.

They are referred to as "My Five Guys" back home, as I was the one who made sure they were tended to.

The first casualty in our County was Lance Cpl. Albert Knight who was in Battery "L" 4th Battalion, 12th Marines.

He and his brothers used to clear the ice in front of his parents home on the lake and play hockey each winter.

Today, Canandaigua NY is the proud home of the Canandaigua Knight's Hockey Association which began as a tribute to "Bert" by his parents when he passed.

Thank You for your service goes out to all who have served.

WOODLAWN, VIETNAM, 5 GUYS (1).jpg

Hasbeen likes this.
  14. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

We are still attempting to find the fellow in the picture on the right with "Bert".

Whomever he is left this picture there at Christmas of 2008. BERT KNIGHT 2008 XMAS.jpg BERT KNIGHT 2008.jpg

Hasbeen likes this.
  15. bobski

anyone remember jolly green and duster?

16. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

I remember puff the magic dragon, F4 Fandom and A6's. I was glad we had them on our side. They saved lot of American lives.

Hasbeen likes this.
  17. bobski

;>
    puff.jpg

Hasbeen likes this.
  18. bobski

126-2626_IMG[1].jpeg th_vf2bobski[1].jpg

thats me. history note: VF1 and VF2 were the only F14 sqd's to fly missions over nam. op freq' wind.

Hasbeen likes this.
  19. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. You guys were very much appreciated. Semper Fi

Hasbeen likes this.