Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo. 2 Day Shotgun Event, 8-9 Apr 2022

Discussion in 'Missouri- Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm' started by bobski, Sep 15, 2021.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

The Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm of Vanzant, Mo.
    will be hosting a private shoot for
    INVITED GUESTS
    Apr 8-9, 2022
    SAFETY BRIEFS: 3PM Friday & 9AM & NOON Saturday
    1st FLIGHTS 4pm Friday & 10am Saturday,
    RAIN OR SHINE
    Bring at Least 10 Boxes of Ammo, an assigned Small Gift Prize, and an assigned Pot Luck Dish
    ANY GUN
    ANY GAUGE
    Event Cost is a suggested 75.00 for early sign up prior to 1 March and 100.00 for late sign up. (an unheard of bargain for a 250 bird match)
    Tickets are transferable but not refundable
    The Days Events Will Be:
    3pm - Friday Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
    4pm - Field 1 & 2 Open for practice
    6pm - Open kitchen. Fend for yourselves
    7-10pm - Night Birds
    9am - Saturday Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
    10am - Shooting Begins
    Box 1-4 = Friday Flights
    Box 5 = 16yd ATA Trap
    Box 6 = 21yd Handicap Trap
    Box 7 = Skeet
    Box 8-9 = Turkey Shoot/Polish Duck Blind
    Box 10 = Annie Oakley
    12 Noon = Lunch
    3-5pm - Trophy Match, Shoot Offs and Awards
    6pm - Club 60 Meal in Town
    NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED
    FREE TRAINING
    FREE RUSTIC CAMPING. Bathroom in club.
    50 YD TROPHY MATCH IS A TRAP WALK BACK TO 50YDS WITH HOA, ANNIE, TURKEY SQUAD ANDDUCK BLIND WINNERS..
    RANGE OWNER SHOOTS IN PROXY FOR LOW SCORE AS WELL.
    LAST MAN STANDING WINS.
    Extra games available at the counter.
    Call and reserve a spot. 757-923-3553 till 15 Mar or 417-948-0095 afterwards.

2. bobski

if youre reading this, youre invited.

3. bobski

anyone care to donate for the apr trophy? pm me. you don't need to attend to donate for it.

4. bobski

cliff just signed up. we have 1!

5. bobski

brian just signed up. we have 2.

6. bobski

april will include new shoot policy. since 99% of my attendees bypass night birds, i have a choice. either make it a 1 day shoot or give an incentive to come friday as well. so, lets go with the incentive first. if you come friday night and shoot a game of skeet or trap. and the score you log during night birds is higher than the main event score on sat, you can use the higher of the 2. a lot of time and energy is expended for too small a crowd. i will do this if it draws shooters friday. if it doesnt pan out, im going to cancel night birds and make my shoot a 1 day event oct 2022. ive tried every combination one can imagine to bend to the needs and desires of the shooters. i made it a 3 day event, a sat/sun event, and the current fri/sat event. and people STILL cancel. its impossible to please everyone, so if i have to, i will please....me as a last resort.

7. bobski

just remember folks, canceling may be easy on your end and it may be truly needed, but on this end, it hurts the prizes, the pot luck, and the others who come to socialize to meet friends and new faces. many travel long distances to attend. its a miracle many come as far as they do, for just 4 to 5 people at a match. we owe it to everyone to work at making it worth coming. keeping me on the hook until the last few days to decide if youre coming, or ignoring emails and pm's isn't fair to management either. man up and sign up early or give me a firm no. maybes in my book have always been no's. tickets talk.
    anyone who has coordinated a match knows is hard enough, let alone being the host who travels 1500 miles to hold it. I like the sport enough to do it. but others would certainly say im insane for what I do on my vacation time.

8. bobski

bob L signed up. we have 3.

9. bobski

we have a trophy donor. im going into town tomorrow.

10. bobski

here it is. come and win it!
    apr 2022 trophy.JPG

11. bobski

I'm going to itemize the shoot for those that have difficulty understanding the costs.
    The 2 day match is a suggested 75.00. If your lifestyle doesn't allow you to commit until 30 days out, its 100.00. Early birds save 25.00 by booking their other life events (around) my shoot. Normally, those that wait to the last minute are booking my shoot (around) their other life events.
    We tell you to bring 10 boxes of ammo. Why? Because 10 boxes will entitle you to 4 night games or 4 practice games on Friday, and 6 boxes for the main event. Heres the breakdown of games:
    Friday = 4 boxes of 25. 4 games.
    Skeet = 1 box of 25. You just shot 5 games.
    16yd trap = 1 box of 25. You just shot 6 games.
    21yd trap = 1 box of 25. You just shot 7 games.
    Turkey shoot = 1 shot.
    Duck boat = 10 shots....which leaves you 14 rounds in your pocket. You just finished your 8th and 9th game.
    Annie Oakley = 1 box of 25 plus the extra 14 rounds you have left over. If you are a good shot, odds are they will be expended here, since annie oakley can go on for a long time. If you go out early, oh well. You go home with left over rounds. Annie oakley is the 10th game.
    The 50yd trophy shoot is free. Only those that win a spot in this event get to shoot it.
    Got leftover rounds? Did you bring extra ammo? Sure hope so. You might need it here. Its a 25 round event only if you last to the 50yd line. If not, you go home with leftover ammo.
    If you didn't expend 250 rounds in 2 days, its not our fault. Shoot better next time.
    Now, we don't limit you to just 10 boxes in 2 days. If you want to shoot extra games, all you do is go to the counter and sign up. Extra games are a suggested 5.00 each. These games are not part of the event, therefore you pay separate for them. And as stated, the event is not refundable. If you have to leave early or cancel for any reason, you are disqualified. You are paying for the entire event plus any extra games. There is no haggling for event games not shot to cover the cost of extra games. Pretty simple.
    For 10 years I maintained an inventory of my personal factory ammo. I even stocked reloads at the range for those wanting to pinch a penny. Rarely did anyone buy it. So I don't stock it anymore. Its gone. But being the responsible host I am, I do still offer reloads for the shoot, to those coming unprepared or for those not willing to drive 60 miles on a gamble that Wal-Mart has some on a 3 box ration.
    And lastly, if you don't attend the Friday portion of the shoot, or if you don't shoot all 10 boxes, your games expire. There are no carry-overs. Been there done that. Never again.
    I hope this helps our guests.

12. bobski

rain or shine means rain or shine.
    if you don't want to ruin your fancy skeet or trap gun, bring a clunker as a back up. we don't cancel due to rain. if lightning is striking, we will delay until it passes. if there is 2" of rain in the duck boat, bring boots. its suppose to simulate duck hunting! if you don't come prepared, don't blame us. we told you in advance.
    my shoot may appear po-dunk to some, but my match isn't for the faint at heart. hunters that attend, tend to feel right at home. others tend to waiver. its part of making the match well balanced.

13. bobski

i need to nip this in the bud. its becoming too common over the years and it needs attention.
    ------------
    prizes. we all bring prizes to be divied out to the winners. it keeps the cost of the tickets down. if we were to charge for prizes, the tickets would go well over 75.00 each. is it a little more work for you? sure. we do this because it makes tickets stay lower and it attracts shooters. many wouldnt come if it gets too expensive. it is a long way to travel. being inexpensive is the main draw. we offer shooters a chance to look in their closets for nice prizes laying around that you bought ages ago to be donated at a savings to you; or, we allow you to buy new items on clearance to pinch a penny. heck, we are talking a 5 or 10.00 prize. we arent asking to donate guns, 4wd quads, tents, or duck decoys. 10 bucks max. wow. but be in made known, we have had very generous and financially capable shooters donate more expensive or even numerous items for shoots, to cover the delinquent, we recognize them for their efforts. you know who you all are. you are truly team players! kudos to you. everything donated goes right back out to shooters. we dont keep any of it for ourselves.

but, recently we've had a lot of people who dont read my blogs or read the flyer and show up at the shoots empty handed with a dumb look on their faces and expect us to look the other way. taint happenin'. you are responsible to READ THE FLYER and READ MY EMAILS telling you what to bring. we do this so we get a variety of prizes in. if we dont assign you a prize, everyone ends up bringing hoppes 9. so, READ MY EMAILS and bring what we suggest you bring. marching to your own drum doesnt help the team.
    if you dont follow instructions and you show up at the counter empty handed, we will not squad you.
    since we are responsible hosts, to help cover you, we have pre-bought prizes on our dime to cover those forgetting prizes, they are flat rated, bagged, and available. either buy it and toss it in the pile, or go home.

hate to be like this, but we dont like being taken advantage of or be treated as pushovers. we may be po-dunk in view of other shoots and matches, but its our shoot, our range, our rules.

we prefer to be friendly. when everyone does what they are asked, its easy.
    its only when someone doesnt follow rules that our claws come out.
    thanks for understanding.

14. bobski

hopefuls:

(any new forum attendees) +
    rex
    stan
    joe
    larry
    kenton
    gary/beth
    dude & son
    the altermatt family
    jack

15. bobski

as always, if we get 10 we have a pot luck.

16. bobski

waiting for james q to answer a letter invite.

17. bobski

he must not know how to read.....

18. bobski

19. bobski

rex is nibbling!

20. bobski

hopefuls:
    (any new forum attendees) +
    rex
    stan
    joe
    larry
    kenton
    gary/beth
    dude & son
    the altermatt family

21. bobski

joe tells me he's thinking about apr. if he comes, itll be 2 years since i saw him last.

22. Clifford

Clifford New Member

Bob, thanks for setting this shoot up. It takes a lot of work and patience and I appreciate your willingness to do so. Look forward to seeing you in April.
    Merry Christmas!

Cliff

23. bobski

my pleasure. glad you made it over to the new site. happy holydays.

24. bobski

happy holydays to all.

25. bobski

sprained my wrist pretty bad. I thought it broke but VA said no. problem is, its my grip hand. cant hold a shotgun. im out of action for some time. hopefully ill be back in action, but for now, I cant do much w/o sarahs help. im a one armed man in a pull up contest for sure.

26. bobski

my 4 fingers are working again. my thumb still cant squeeze anything. wrist is moving but when I try to grip a pistol grip it tells me it doesn't like it, one recoil and itll hurt, so im still in a 'no shooting yet' status. the old navy term is... (limited duty.)

27. bobski

1 deg this morning. thank GOD I split wood back in nov!