Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo. 2 Day Shotgun Event, 28-29 Oct 2022

Discussion in 'Missouri- Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm' started by bobski, Mar 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

The Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm of Vanzant, Mo.
    will be hosting a private shoot for
    INVITED GUESTS
    Oct 21-22, 2022
    SAFETY BRIEFS: 3PM Friday & 9AM & NOON Saturday
    1st FLIGHTS 4pm Friday & 10am Saturday
    RAIN OR SHINE
    Bring at Least 12 Boxes of Ammo, 2 assigned Small Gift Prizes, and an assigned Pot Luck Dish (if held)
    ANY GUN
    ANY GAUGE
    Event Cost is a suggested 100.00 for early sign up prior to 1 Sept and 125.00 for late sign up. (an unheard of bargain for a 300 bird match)
    Tickets are transferable but not refundable. No carryovers.
    The Days Events Will Be:
    3pm - Friday Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
    4pm - Field 1 & 2 Open for practice
    6pm - Open kitchen. Fend for yourselves
    7-10pm - Night Birds

9am - Saturday Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
    10am - Shooting Begins
    Box 1-5 = Friday Flights
    Box 6 = 16yd ATA Trap
    Box 7 = 21yd Handicap Trap
    Box 8 = Skeet
    12 Noon = Lunch
    Box 9 = Turkey Shoot/Polish Duck Blind
    Box 10-11 = Annie Oakley
    3pm - Box 12 = Trophy Match, Shoot Offs,
    4pm - Wildcard Calcutta, and Awards
    6pm - Club 60 Meal in Town
    NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED
    FREE TRAINING
    FREE RUSTIC CAMPING. Bathroom in club.
    50 YD TROPHY MATCH IS A TRAP WALK BACK TO 50YDS WITH HOA, ANNIE, TURKEY SQUAD AND DUCK BLIND WINNERS.
    RANGE OWNER SHOOTS IN PROXY FOR LOW SCORE AS WELL.
    LAST MAN STANDING WINS.
    Extra games available at the counter.
    Call to be invited and reserve a spot. 757-923-3553 till 15 Sept or 417-948-0095 afterwards.

THIS SHOOT WILL BE THE LAST 2 DAY MATCH
    IF LOW NUMBERS CONTINUE TO ATTEND.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  2. bobski

if youre reading this, youre invited.

3. bobski

anyone care to donate for the oct trophy? pm me. you don't need to attend to donate for it.

4. bobski

the wildcard calcutta is an optional game after the match. make sure to bring extra ammo for it if you chose to play it!

5. bobski

2022 is including a new shoot policy. since 99% of my attendees bypass night birds, i have a choice. either make it a 1 day shoot or give an incentive to come friday as well. so, lets go with the incentive first. if you come friday night and shoot a game of skeet or trap. and the score you log during night birds is higher than the main event score on sat, you can use the higher of the 2. a lot of time and energy is expended for too small a crowd. i will do this if it draws shooters friday. if it doesnt pan out, im going to cancel night birds and make my shoot a 1 day event starting 2023. ive tried every combination one can imagine to bend to the needs and desires of the shooters. i made it a 3 day event, a sat/sun event, and the current fri/sat event. and people STILL cancel or even worse, never show up. its impossible to please everyone, so if i have to, i will please myself, as a last resort.

6. bobski

and once again, we wont be offering ammo at the counter due to the shortage. make sure to bring at least 12 boxes. most bring 20.

7. bobski

ammo seems be showing up more often in stores now, but holy cow! the cost of it is sky high. plan accordingly.

8. bobski

many say im crazy for what im doing by holding my shoots with little to no attendance.
    but understand, i have the highest respect for those that DO attend. thank you for coming.
    we consider those that come to be our friends visiting, not customers. please remember that. some have pool parties, horse shoe parties, tupperware parties, block or cookout parties. i have shooting parties. party with guns with us!

9. bobski

our goal is always 10. aim for 10 to come! ask your buddies!

10. bobski

100% night bird attendance in apr saved oct night birds. now we need to improve on attendance.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  11. bobski

we have a trophy donor! off to town we go.

12. bobski

frank is out in oct.
    so is rex.

13. bobski

here it is. come and win it!
    oct 2022 trophy.JPG

14. bobski

I'm going to itemize the shoot for those that have difficulty understanding the cost of the shoot.
    The 2 day match is a suggested 100.00. If your lifestyle doesn't allow you to commit until 30 days out, its 125.00. Early birds save 25.00 by booking their other life events (around my) shoot. Normally, those that wait to the last minute are booking my shoot (around their) other life events.
    We tell you to bring 12 boxes of ammo. Why? Because 12 boxes will entitle you to 5 night games or 5 practice games on Friday, and 7 boxes for the main event. Here's the breakdown of games. a game is 8.50 regardless of number of rounds expended. (this is known as your daily range fees, plus birds)
    Friday = 5 boxes of 25. 5 games.
    Saturdays main event......
    Skeet = 1 box of 25. You just shot 6 games.
    16yd trap = 1 box of 25. You just shot 7 games.
    21yd trap = 1 box of 25. You just shot 8 games.
    Turkey shoot = 1 shot. You just shot 9 games.
    Duck boat = 10 shots....which leaves you 14 rounds in your pocket. You just finished your 10th game. take those leftover rounds to annie oakley.
    Annie Oakley = 2 boxes of 25 plus the extra 14 rounds you have left over from the turkey shoot and the duck boat. you always go to the annie oakley with 2 boxes of ammo just in case you go long. If you are a good shot, odds are the 25, plus your leftovers, plus another box will be expended here, annie oakley can go on for a long time. If you go out early, oh well. You go home with left over rounds. You just shot your 11th game.
    The 50yd trophy shoot. Only those that win a spot in this event get to shoot it.
    Its a 25 round event only if you last to the 50yd line. If not, you go home with leftover ammo. For some, this would be your 12th box and 12th game.
    If you didn't expend 300 rounds in 2 days, its not our fault.
    If you want to shoot the calcuttas at the end of the match, sure hope you bring more than 12 boxes.
    No competitor that i know in their right mind would ever attend a match w/o at LEAST 2 flats of ammo. COME PREPARED.
    Now, we don't limit you to just 12 boxes in 2 days. If you want to shoot extra games, all you do is go to the counter and sign up. Extra games are a suggested 5.00 each. These games are not part of the event, therefore you pay separate for them. And as stated, the event is not refundable. If you have to leave early or cancel for any reason, you are disqualified. If you refuse to shoot an event, you are scored a zero. You are paying for the entire event plus any extra games. There is no haggling for event games not shot to cover the cost of extra games. Pretty simple.
    For 10 years I maintained an inventory of my personal factory ammo. I even stocked reloads at the range for those wanting to pinch a penny. Rarely did anyone buy it. So I don't stock it anymore. Its gone. But being the responsible host I am, I do still offer reloads for the shoot, to those coming unprepared or for those not willing to drive 60 miles into town on a gamble that Wal-Mart has some.
    And lastly, if you don't attend the Friday portion of the shoot, or if you don't shoot all 12 boxes, your games expire. There are no carry-overs. Been there done that.

I hope this helps our guests.

15. bobski

ok, may have a local newcomer in oct. name is phil. he may bring a buddy.
    hopefully stan is recovered from his operations and will rejoin us.
    brian will be signing up. hes a shoot-a-holic!
    waiting to hear about bob L's schedule.
    my hvac repairman tom might come. thall be a our second newcomer.
    so....we have 6 on the fence as of today.
    bob L
    brian
    stan
    phil
    phil buddy
    tom

sure hope my old buddies are reading this, because im not going fishing for shooters on numerous websites or email anymore.
    here i am. here it is. call me and sign up.

16. bobski

ok, looks like bob L signed up. we have.........1.

17. bobski

brian just signed up. we have 2.

18. bobski

geesh. wheres all the clay shooters on the www looking for a place to shoot cheap?

19. bobski

brians locked in.

20. bobski

so....we have 4 on the fence as of today.

stan
    phil
    phil buddy
    tom

21. bobski

lynn from another website(RF) may come with his son. we have 6 maybes.

22. bobski

6 on the fence. anyone else want to come?
    lynn
    lynn son
    stan
    phil
    phil buddy
    tom

23. bobski

time to start asking friends, folks. early bird tickets expire 1 sept....in 26 days.

24. bobski

2 weeks to early bird sign up deadline....

25. bobski

brians out.

in other words, we don't have a shoot unless we have 2 to compete!

if I don't get one more....the oct meet is canceled.

6 still on the fence.

lynn
    lynn son
    stan
    phil
    phil buddy
    tom

26. bobski

so much for early birds. we are at NO BIRDS.

27. bobski

stan is out. down to 5 hopefuls.

28. bobski

not looking good folks. unless bob L can scratch some buddies up, and if my 1st timers man up and really come....im going to have to cancel. blame biden for ruining everyones spendable income.

sad way to celebrate 10 years of shooting at vcpf. my tenth year will go down in the books as no shooters no interest. who would have guessed 10 years ago shooting would die due to cost in America.

29. bobski

looks like im going to have to scrape the plaque off the trophy and chalk it up as a loss. $$

30. bobski

I am lifting the 3 match championship limit as of today.

it is now 5 match wins to 'trophy out' at vcpf.

old champs.......come and win another one!

31. bobski

bob L scratched up 2 guys. we have a match. small, but hey, its something!

32. bobski

well, so much for that. the 2 guys backed out. we are back to no match this fall. I have some hopefuls in mo. I wont know till late next week.

33. bobski

ok, heres the update.
    I have one last chance to get an aid to care for mom in ct. if she commits, im able to extend my stay in mo.
    I would be able to move the match to 28-29 oct.
    in doing this, bobL is ok. he is contacting his 2 buddies to see if they can make it. brian would be able to come on sat only,

34. bobski

the aids took the job.

moving match to 28-29 oct.
    brian is in.
    frank is back from surgery, hes in.
    bob L is in.
    bobs calling his 2 buddies to see if they can make it.
    match is back on!

35. bobski

6 still on the fence........
    lynn / wva.
    lynn son
    dale / ks.
    phil
    phil buddy
    tom

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  36. bobski

jim and gwen are coming.

37. bobski

ok, if bobs 2 buddies come, we will have 6. i know it sounds funny and many are probably laughing...but 6 to me is a lot these days.

38. bobski

ok, lynn and his son is out.

39. bobski

4 still on the fence........

dale / ks.
    phil
    phil buddy
    tom

40. bobski

im in mo.
    call the cabin to contact me now.
    only one of bobs buddies is coming. so we have 5.

wow! a whole squad!

41. bobski

dale in ks is out.

42. bobski

no one is coming friday, so night birds are canceled.

43. bobski

not enough people for a pot luck.

44. bobski

tom isnt responding, which equates to no.

45. bobski

its all up to phil and his buddy.

46. bobski

10 day calls for rain in the afternoon around 4pm 23% chance. dress accordingly.

47. bobski

phils buddy is out. phil still may come.

48. bobski

phils in but bretts out again....so we still have 5. see you all tomorrow.

49. bobski

80% chance of rain by noon. come prepared.

50. bobski

red skies in morn....

51. bobski

good time had by all.
    rain held off and we got the whole meet in before it rained!
    congrats to frank for 1st place hoa and brian winning his 4th club trophy!
    pics to follow.

52. bobski

those that attended would know...this was our 10 year anniversary shoot. heres a pic of very first vanzant invite way back in 2012. how time flies! the first website that allowed us to invite viewers back then was the firearms forum.com.(tff) since then, they turned dark and i changed to a better website known as firerams talk.com (ftf) and today because website attendance is zero, (after inviting shooters from 25 other gun websites failed to stir interest,) its simply known as .... the vanzant shoot.
    1st ever tff winner 7-12.JPG

53. Double20

Double20 Member

Had a great time as usual. I highly encourage anyone reading this to attend. Trust me, this is a fun shoot and you don't have to be able to run 25 straight every time to be competitive with our group. Also, the different events ensure that someone really good at trap or really good at skeet doesn't necessarily dominate the event. We had one shooter that hit a perfect 25 on skeet but only got 8 on 21 yard trap. I got a 20 on skeet and a 17 on 21yard trap. So although he had the perfect score in skeet, my combined score for those two events was 4 targets better. Also, winning the turkey shoot, duck boat event, or the Annie Oakley can give you bonus points to help bridge the gap between you and a slightly better shooter. It really is anyone's game to win and the more shooters we have the better the competition. Hope to see more people for April's shoot!

54. bobski

you just heard from the clubs 4 time champ on the 50yd line! well done brian!
    [​IMG]

55. bobski

this group shot is special. we posed it on the tool that keeps vcpf nice and neat downrange. thats my old 64 ford 4000 with b-hog. well, it chose not to run on the day before the shoot and it barely got off the line of fire....so to celebrate its first time not making back to the barn in 10 years....here is a group shot! btw, phil in front row center just happened to be a tractor mech. he got it going during lunch break. sure pays off inviting locals to come shoot!
    thanks phil!
    [​IMG]

56. bobski

1st time in the duck boat for phil!
    Vanzant_DuckHunt-8_29Oct22.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.