Thoughts on extended focus lens cataract lens

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by g7777777, May 1, 2021.

1. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Has anyone chosen an extended focus lens and what effect in your shooting ?

2. Wayne J

Wayne J Mega Poster

Could you explain "extended focus"?

3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

I told my eye Dr that I want my focus to be so I could see a frog hair that was split into and shaved on both sides at 38 yards.
    My cataract surgery is next week.
    I'm not sure if this is what your asking?

4. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

So the have variable focus and extended focus premium lens options . Those are different than fixed focal plane

But generally they allow you to see in different planes . Your brain adapts to this. The idea is this is more like regular vision. Your brain does this by relating to different distances and a radial area in the lens. The variable focus has “steps”. The extended has a elongated bubble

rookieshooter likes this.
  5. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I asked and paid for the up graded lenses, explained to the Doctor I was a trap and target shooter ... He told me I would have to wear readers if I adjusted off of the normal lenses, he was right about that .... I buy them at the DOLLAR store rather than pay $250 for prescription glasses from the Eye Doc ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

So they worked for you?

7. wpt

Yes, I do have to wear readers just like he said and can see at a distance really good ... I think the cost differential was $1,200 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

I really had nothing to compare them to being as this was all a first for me, just going by what the Doctor said ...

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    g7777777 likes this.
  8. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

my eye Dr. said that is a farce, she only fits the long range lenses, you need readers for close reading, I already have 2.5x glasses

GB.......................................DLS

9. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Lots to choose from now. I plan as of now to go with the extended focus

10. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

I would go for the standard lenses. Once in, your stuck with them. If they don't work for you, your screwed. Stick with what works, and don't experiment.
    I got my right eye done a few years ago, and it is now 20/20. Clearest I have seen out of that eye in years. Could not believe the color and brightness after.
    Waiting to have the right eye done as soon as it is far enough along for insurance to pay for it.

rookieshooter likes this.
  11. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

I had both eyes done when I had cataract's.

Then month's later a vitrectomy in my shooting eye.

I have always opted for distance only.

I don't need to read a book when shooting.

You must be referring to the lenses that will be inserted into your eyes. I'm speaking of shooting glass lenses.

Have no idea.

Good Luck

12. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

I have 20/15 vision both eyes. I've had the eye Doc clear up or sharpen the image for distance with lenses. Works for me. I do use reader 2,25

13. BerettaSC

BerettaSC Member

I had both eyes done with the multifocal lens (due to cataracts). I now have the best vision of my entire life. I can see those little chips at 50 yards that my buddies miss. I can read a book without glasses but I use readers because it is a little easier.

14. wpt

The Doctor (Arizona Eye Institute) I went to could show you the graduated difference with a focal machine he has in one of the exam suites ... The difference with one eye compared to 2 eyes with the extended vision lenses after actually seeing the difference made up my mind it was worth the investment to me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Richard Schurman

Richard Schurman New Member

Are you referring to single vision lenses? They are great for distance can’t see a thing up close. I wear multi focal lenses normally. Had a trial pair of single vision loved the vision for shooting but bounced the readers on the ground a time or two. Got frustrated with that so opted to wear it he multifocal

16. wpt

I have the single vision and readers, having contacts for over 35 years I never could get used to the multi focal lenses so I figured why fight it ..? I went to the dollar store and have more pairs of readers that I hope I will ever need but if not the dollar store is not far away ... My arms are to short for me to read anything close but if you hold something a foot beyond the end of my arm I can read it like I knew what it said all along ... ( my sleeve length is 37") ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Wildcat Lewis likes this.
  17. Michael J

Michael J Active Member

I needed glasses for both distance and to read. I shoot left handed, left eye dominant. I am having my left eye set up for distance and the right for reading.

18. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

MichaEL J. Boy you are going to be cockeyed, This is not recomendedby an legitimate eye Dr. Mine only installs long distance in the eye lenses. Eye GlaSSES DO WHAT YOU WANT. Was this a Joke or for real I am speaking only on a cataracht eye surgery. w/duplicate eye lenses I was born with.

GB...............................................DLS

19. dr.longshot

I have 2.5X Glasses from Walmart for readers, for reading.2 pairs.

GB...................................DLS

20. wpt

The Doctor (Arizona Eye Institute) I went to could show you the graduated difference with a focal machine he has in one of the exam suites ... The difference with one eye compared to 2 eyes with the extended vision lenses after actually seeing the difference made up my mind it was worth the investment to me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Got a dozen pairs of readers at the dollar store, $1.00 each ...
    DLS Doctor is full of BS ...

21. dr.longshot

My Doctor is up the latest technology, done over a Thousand Cataracht Surgeries,
    she impressed me with all of her latest lab equipment and knowledge, latest lens technology.
    how many Years ago on your catacact surgery WPT?
    I will verify my BS as fact.

GB.............................DLS

22. wpt

2 years ago and I should know better then to debate with you ... I stand by what I said ... My Doctor has been in the business over 30 years done thousands (as in many, many thousands ) of surgeries, uses nothing but the absolute latest technology ... I check any and all Doctors I deal with totally and completely before I let any one of them touch me .... I say your Doctor is full of BS and you are also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Look it up yourself there are so many different lenses and types its ridiculous, if your Doctor don't know that she is out of touch and far from up to date ...
    There are only two places that have the latest technology here in the Phx area and my Doctor is one of them, says it is 10 years ahead of its time ... You can literally see which lense's produce the best outcome for each individual ...

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  23. wpt

Cataract lenses: which one is best for you?
    One of the many positive aspects of cataract eye surgery and lens replacement is that the results are permanent – you will only need to have it done once. But this also highlights the need for you to carefully consider your options before going ahead with surgery.

Due to advancements in ophthalmic surgery techniques and the technology used to design intraocular lenses (IOL) – the artificial lenses that are implanted during cataract eye surgery – you can now choose to have a powerful artificial lens that can dramatically improve your vision, inserted into your eye at the same time as having your cataracts treated.

Once upon a time this wasn’t possible because there was only one type of lens used in cataract surgery, which meant that although patients no longer suffered from cataracts after surgery, their vision was no better than it was before developing cataracts. And most still needed to wear heavy prescription glasses or contact lenses.

There are now numerous different types of cataract lenses available, and the decision about which ones to go for should be based on what’s most important to you, and how much better you would like your vision to be after surgery.

If you’re considering having cataract eye surgery, we recommend that you book in for a free consultation with one of our leading eye surgeons. Our surgeons will use the knowledge they’ve gained from performing thousands of lens replacement operations to advise you on the best cataract lenses to suit your lifestyle, and correct your vision problems.

Before attending your consultation, however, it’s advisable to research your options and have an idea in your mind about how you would like your vision to be after surgery. And that’s where this handy guide comes in.

Lenses for Cataract Surgery
    Standard lens (monofocal)
    This type of lens replacement will let you see very clearly, but only at one distance. So if you choose to have a lens to improve your vision to help with short-sightedness, you may still need to wear glasses to see clearly at a distance, and vice versa.

There are three different distances, and the one that you want to improve will depend on what you do on a daily basis.

• Long distance – if you drive for a living, then improving your long distance vision could help immensely. This could also be a good choice if you like to watch a lot of television, or if you are a keen golf player.

• Middle distance – this type of distance is similar to the distance that you would view a computer screen from. If you work in an office job, and have to spend a large portion of your day looking at a screen, you may well benefit from improving your middle distance vision. You may have noticed in the past that you suffer from headaches at the end of a long working day, and if this is the case for you then improving this vision could decrease the number of headaches you have.

• Short distance – if you like to read a lot, then improving your short distance vision could be a good option for you. This may be beneficial if you spend a lot of time reading paper documents for work.
    Toric lens
    If you have astigmatism, this type of lens replacement will improve your vision at one specific distance. You may find that astigmatism blurs your vision slightly, so choosing to have this issue fixed with a toric lens could be beneficial to you.

Multifocal lens
    A multifocal lens replacement will help to improve your vision at a number of different distances, and could be helpful if you are constantly switching distances during the day.

For example, if you need to switch from making notes on paper in front of you, to looking at your screen, then on to looking at a presentation at the front of the room, you will want to be able to do so without having to change your glasses each time.

Monovision
    If you don’t like the thought of using a multifocal lens, you could opt for monovision. This is where a single vision lens for one distance is implanted into one eye, and a lens for a different distance is implanted into another, correcting problems with long-sightedness and short-sightedness. This means that you should be able to see both far and near, without having to get used to the differing focus of a multifocal lens.

Choosing the right cataract lenses
    If you’re still unsure about which lenses to choose, it may help to keep a note of everything you do during the day, including the number of times you need to change your glasses. This should give you an idea of the activities that are problematic for you, so when you meet with your consultant, you’ll have lots of useful information to help guide your decision.

Whichever lens you choose, cataract eye surgery combined with lens replacement can be life changing. The operation is quick and painless. And the results are almost immediate.

WPT ... (YAC) ...

Here you go DLS, print this off and show your Doctor so she realizes how out of touch and out dated she is ... If I was you I would report her as you suggested about another Doctor ....

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  24. wpt

Still waiting for the verification of your facts .. WPT... (YAC) ...

25. dr.longshot

y appt. is June 9th

GB..................................DLS

26. wpt

Doc,
    Print that off and take it with you, just might be doing her a favor in a round about way .... I actually got to look and see the variables and several different combinations before we determined which combination would work best for me .... WPT ... (YAC) ...