The reloading world today

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Larry, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

Seems most supplies have become very scarce.... Powder shows up from time to time, Primers never do.
    Discussion have changed at the clubs and at coffee shops.
    Not too long ago it was common to hear "Why reload? New shells are cheap!". Now its common to hear "where can I get powder/primers/shot ?".
    Less expensive shells are $6 when you can find them...
    Notice the posts about "Why reload" are almost non-existent now?
    For sure if you reload and have prepared you have shells to shoot.... If you relied on others for your shells you are probably doing without... Larry

pump gun guy and settersit like this.
  2. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Very stressful spring -Trying to load with powder you never used before - matching to oversize -over priced primer's -then needing a loader bushing that you have never used and are not available .Only saving grace is I am retired and was able to make daily trips to pick up one purchase of powder per visit. -- Until that ran out --Clubs primer's supplies require three bags of shot, plus a ten round of trap punch card. per 1000 primers. -- Looks like I will be set for this year- Got to git better down the road.

dr.longshot likes this.
  3. Larry

Interesting at the club Wednesday.... a club member that gave up shooting a year or so ago sold his supplies to the club.... Primers and powder gone is a hurry, wads almost as quick. His "Hot Shot" and reclaimed went just as fast.
    Bunch of those in the "feeding frenzy" walked past me to make their purchases..... All are my friends and enjoyed giving me hell for reloading while they were buying the inexpensive shells..... I just grinned and said "howdy" as they walked by...... of course I did have to make just a comment or two. Friend of mine just bought 5 flats of Wolf... $10 a box...... I would have loaned him some stuff for shells but he basically gave all his loading equipment away in the days of the $4.95 shells........ Another friend just received a primer order from BPI........ Cheddite for $39 a thousand plus hazmat and freight and was damn glad to get them......
    Wonder where we go from here??????? Larry

4. Chris Carr

Chris Carr Member

A group of us that shoot together and also reload live 2 hours from any supply store. The days of 1 guy making a trip and picking up for everyone is over. It’s like every man for himself. It’s now a big secret when someone in the group finds supplies he buys his limit and does tell anyone where it came from nor does he pick up for anyone else in the group. It’s really sad that a group of so called friends have turned to this.

5. bob lowman

bob lowman Mega Poster

Hopefully we'll all be able to get reloading supplies and new shells at close to the old prices in another month from what I've heard from the supply stores

6. Larry

Reports from NE Oregon are not nearly so bright...... None in the stores, none on the way, best hope for anything is in the fall...... as far as prices they all indicate "don't hold your breath"............. Larry

7. Larry

I came upon another perspective today..... folks that do not reload nor even intend to were attempting to purchase powder/shot/etc for resale and quick profit..... did not work with us but I am sure its being done elsewhere....... Larry

Mike Holland likes this.
  8. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

i'll bet injuries increase nationwide as novice loaders make mistakes using unknown and wrong combinations of componants based on whats the only thing available, to achieve loaded ammo.