Sparta Shooting Complex Closing (archive)

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Don't Ban Me Bro, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Don't Ban Me Bro

Don't Ban Me Bro Active Member

2. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

3. Rosey

Rosey Mega Poster Founding Member

The way it looks, everything and anything is on the chopping block! The ATA may be able to buy part of the facility for a song!

4. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Mega Poster Founding Member

I am sure that the ATA could purchase the Sparta complex,all they would have to do is buddy up with the Federal Reserve and just print up another batch of money.50 mil in paper .We could call it Quantum Squeezing or Easing.Do you think the State of Illinois could sell shares of stock in the complex to ATA members so we could own our our own HomeGrounds.How many of shooters would be standing in line to purchase stock in the complex? For years shooters in Illinois have to had a sticker on there ATA card which cost 10 bucks.The money was to purchase their own Home Grounds to replace the one in Springfield.Mathers.It never happened.but we are still paying for the sticker..Us shooters are just pawns in the game.
    Just my opinion,nothing more.

Trap 2 likes this.
  5. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

Anything is possible and in Illinois it usually is. Remember Illinois is not a gun friendly state.

dr.longshot likes this.
  6. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

I doubt this is true. Reason: As per spokesperson for imprisoned felon Governor Blagojevich, the founder of the shoot in Sparta, will hopefully be released soon. A spokesperson implied that he wishes to return to the place he created. Buying trapshooters votes propelled the anti gunner to the top position in Illinois politics.

It is said that he would like to be shooting before the facility is closed and expects to be shooting at the 18.

7. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

Blago---I would like to be on that squad.

8. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Damn, there is that annoying noise again. Sounds like a tired old fishing reel. Someone should give it a good dose of that spray stuff.

Flyersarebest

9. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

The only thing Blago shoots is his mouth. After all he is a Dumocrat.

10. Palos shooter

Blagojevich was a true democrat.He built the complex with someone else's money.
    There was a lot of Cook County tax money that went into the shooting venture.A lot of anti gun people paid for the place.
    I wish more states were anti gun and built more shooting complexes like this.
    Every state has their anti gun city.Wisconsin has Madison,Illinois has Chicago,Pennsylvania has Pittsburgh.Maybe we need to mention Jessee Jackson when we talk about Blago.He just didn't get a chance to build a shooting range near Chicago,he was to busy trying to buy the seat.Maybe Blago and Jesse can be on the 18 yard line shooting two hole targets with Bubba to back them up.

11. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

This is not out of reason, in their financial position.

12. Rosey

For those who feel it is unrealistic.....what if the State of Illinois said "ATA, make us an offer".

It doesn't need to include anything but the trap line and perhaps a few buildings. No Sporting, skeet, ponds, or rifle/pistol ranges. Minimize maintenance and finally own a place.

If a politician is desperate to show signs of savings to voters, it could happen.

Leonidas and Hap MecTweaks like this.
  13. Don't Ban Me Bro

Don't Ban Me Bro Active Member

Well, I for one, don't want to be caught without my "dong sock".

So I would like to start the revolution by nominating Dr. Longshot to the post of President of the ATA Homegrounds Relocation Committee 2015.

14. AZCOTRAP

AZCOTRAP Mega Poster Founding Member

Bawhahahaha.

15. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Please let me know as soon as the closure is confirmed.

I will have to cancel rooms flights etc.

16. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The "dong sock" would require balls to put in it ....

That requirement seems to be missing from someone who chases "Dr.Longshot" around to like every post, because it makes some type of point.

Grow up ... grow a pair ... say what you have to say ... untwist your panties ... you will feel better acting like a grown-up with something to put in your "dong sock" ...

The cute-act seems to work better for you where the mentality is on a low enough level to appreciate it. Everyone has a sense-of-humor .... some just prefer it on an adult level.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  17. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Your Screen Name suits you just perfect( USER 1) your just a user, do anything to try to cut someone with moreAuthority or Wisdom, and Knowledge than you. I have the Balls to say it like it is and was.
    Dr.longshot

18. dr.longshot

Sounds like you Pi**ed in his Cheerio's USER1, you are a poor excuse of a TRAPSHOOTER, NW's Buddy
    Dr.longshot

19. User 1

Calm-down Doc ..... if I want to insult you I will make it clear.

Unlike someone playing you for a fool .....

20. Fezzik

Fezzik Active Member

Thought a visual aid might help...
    image.jpg

21. Lew D. Boyko

Lew D. Boyko Active Member

User l and Fezzik and AZCOTRAP, if you guys cannot grow up and act like adults, go back to the old xxxxxxxxxxxxxx site.
    Again, if you want to come on here and bad mouth some one , at least use your name and not hide behind something like
    Fezzik or AXCOTRAP.
    User l, you don't have the brains to unsult any one with your art work.

Lew D. Boyko

22. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

There is an awful lot of pots calling the kettle black on the thread. LOL

23. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

I think Fezzik went to the Joesph Bowles Art Institute.:):)

24. Fezzik

Fezzik Active Member

Wishbone - I'll have you know my art typically sells for a fortune. Stylistically I like to think of it as conservatively minimalist. :)

Lew - see your previous comment and the below to demonstrate both your hypocrisy and lack of reading comprehension. Suggest you re-read the threads. Only s-l-o-w-e-r this time. I never mouthed off and I never ranted.

As an apology, I will take an edible arrangement. Heavy on the pineapple. You can address it Mr. Fezzik.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  25. Lew D. Boyko

Lew D. Boyko Active Member

FEZZIK, I see you joined yesterday, just like your mentality, Zero

26. Fezzik

Fezzik Active Member

Ooo, good retort. You cut me down to size.

So just so I have this straight, because I haven't been here as long as you, I am less valuable and less entitled to speak. Huh, I thought that was the kind of stuff from the other site we were trying to avoid?

Maybe instead of User1, Azcotrap, and I leaving, maybe it should be you?

Then again, I don't mind someone disagreeing with me. I always believed steel sharpened steel (though in this case, I am not so sure that it is steel that is on the other end if you catch my drift).

27. Palos shooter

How did this thread get so far off base,I thought it was about Sparta closing ,Illinois is broke.crooked politicians,the ATA buying Sparta for a few cents on the dollar.Just stick to the anti gun Illinois rants and soon we will be shooting targets back in Vandalia right off HWY 40.
    I even dream about seeing the Ohio welcoming committe on Preliminary Day in Vandalia Ohio.August 2016.The Ohio Deligates will be apoligizing for letting the Grand leave Ohio.
    I shouldn't drink before going to sleep.sweet dreams can come true it can happen to you.

28. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Palos when the Grand move back to Ohio I will see you at the Cardinal Center.

I will buy the first round in the beer tent.

29. Palos shooter

Wishbone.Wherever the Grand is at I like the beer tent.I would be happy to join you for a few 12 curls. In Vandalia it was Budweiser the official sponser .I helped them every time I was there.This might be a better shooting year because of the cheaper gasoline..More people will travel a little farther to shoot.

30. Family Guy

Why would the Cardinal Center want the grand? They have 3 of the 5 largest shoots. Any one of them could be bigger than the shoot in Sparta this year. If not for ATA points Sparta would be empty.

31. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Family Guy

Now Ohio doesn't want the Grand back?
    I am OK with that but I am having a hard time keeping up.

Reminds me an ex-girlfriend.
    I never new what she wanted either. But it sure wasn't me.

Maybe Vegas or Tucson it's all good.

32. Family Guy

Ohio has "The Grand". It is called Cardinal Classic. I am not the voice of Ohio but something happened after the name "grand" was whored out to a felon from Illinois and his politician friends.

The shoot is what it is. It represents the shoot in Sparta. By Ohio and PA standards there is no longer anything grand about it. Just my opinion.

33. Family Guy

One thing the ATA cronies did not understand is that the name is not what makes the shoot good or successful. It is the mix.

You cannot legislate or by decree decide that this is the venue simply because we gave someone access to the name. The shooters will go to the best shoot(s). They will decide. The shooters own the trapline.

The folks in Ohio and the surrounding states helped build a world class facility that is homey and in many ways in the image of Vandalia. It may never reach the "Vandalia Standard". But they built it for the love of the sport.

The cronies in Chicagoland will never understand.

dr.longshot likes this.
  34. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Family Guy there is only one Grand. It may be tarnished but it is still the Grand.

I have won at the state and zone level, but nothing compare to a trophy from the Grand.

Where ever it goes after Sparta If I am still on this side of the dirt I will attend.
    But I think we are in Sparta for my lifetime.

GW22 likes this.
  35. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Hold on guys I have to make a quick trip !!!!!!! untitled.png

36. Family Guy

No....you are.

I have won at the state, zone level, and the Grand. But that was when it was grand. I enjoy the banter but I am not bound to go to Illinois.

37. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Family Guy know one is suggesting you ever go to Illinois

But we (The ATA not you and I as individuals) hold the Grand there every August.

It may not be your Grand, But It is definitely the GRAND.

Have a great evening.

38. Family Guy

Wishbone...I was there last year. Ask me about it on another thread.

39. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

Hell no:):)

40. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

There have been rumors that the WSRC is closeing for almost as long as it has been in existance, I wouldn't bet any money on that happening for awhile anyway ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

41. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

I would hope for the sake of ATA shooting that there is no truth in this statement. While in my opinion the Grand in Sparta is not the same as the Grand in Vandalia it presently is the major event of the year. This does not in any way say that the shoots at the Cardinal Centre are any less than they are and sometimes more but it will not help our sport to loose another site.

42. Flyersarebest

43. User 1

"TROLL ALERT!!!" .... is an insult to Trolls ....

A low-level-Imp on a good day.

44. Flyersarebest

If the level is too low, maybe he needs an adjustable TROLL

Flyersarebest

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  45. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Active Member Founding Member

OK I have to agree that the artical didn't say anything about Sparta BUT LIKE I HAVE ALWAYS SAID ILL IS AN ANTI GUN STATE. I dd say they will one day pull the rug out from under us. I said they will pull funds and so on. We have a scorpion on our backs that is saying "I WILL NOT STING YOU." Well I said one day it will. I say the day just might have arrived. I just hope we can pull all of our things out of there before they take them and destroy everything. I have always said we had no business being there because of the fact they the sate of ILL is so anti gun.

When we left the gun friendly state of OHIO the ATA said we will be able to save money by going to Sparta. It was later said that we were not able to save money. ??????????????? Which is it? We should by this time be able to buy our own place. I don't like to be homeless and beggars.

wpt likes this.
  46. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

LOL

47. Palos shooter

If the ATA could line up about fifty or sixty shooters that wanted to donate a million dollars each, then the ATA could build their own shooting complex any where they wanted.We as ATA active members could vote in which state or city we wanted it in.
    And just maybe if we gave the O-K to union staffed personel to run the place we could get some more donations ..The possibilities are endless.Dreams can become reality..
    Until then the best the ATA can do is being at The World Shooting Complex at Sparta.

48. docbombay

docbombay Active Member

Put me down for a million.

[​IMG]

49. Palos shooter

Maybe it is time to change the management of the ATA and have it run by the PGA (professional golf association)The PGA has found a lot of sponsors with deep pockets to sponsor a lot of tournaments and get national coverage.What is holding the ATA back?
    Maybe name It the Sparta Country Club? Have some of the Ammo companies sponsor some tournments like they do in golf.
    A dress code for the shooters??? Sport coat and money to the winner?? What is the ATA waiting for??

50. wpt

The ATA is a business that should be operated by management that would run it like a business and report back to the membership, not a group of Good ol' Boys who have their own agenda and use it as a Cash Cow ... Profit and loss statements should be available for all to view so they know its all on the up and up and what goes where ... The cost can be absorbed paritally by eliminating gun give away programs and expenses paid for EC and BOD members to attend shoots all over the country ... If you think this will ever happen you got another think coming ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

51. Gargoyle

Palos Shooter. Here in my state, our ATA delegate was told TOLD to vote "NO" to going to Sparta. NO by the ATA members, shooter and people. As the votes were sounded off and when it was his turn he voted YES. All hell broke loose when he got back. He wasn't elected when the state shoot came up. That happened in other states with other delegates that were told to vote NO but voted YES. Our delegate voted yes because everyone else was voting yes as he put it. That statement didn't go well with us.

WPT, Thank you for your post above. It has been said in the past that you or even a lawyer or CPA can't understand the report sheet on funds. To me when that happens something is being hidden. I have stated in the past that I would like to see a sheet of income and income alone. ALL INCOME. Membership, dealer tents, ammo, and anything other income. Then I want to see the out going money. Who is being paid what. From the President down to the ground keeper. All shell cost and anything else. There is in my opinion alot of money going someplace we don't know or we aren't told about. THIS HAS TO STOP.

Ken Cerney and wpt like this.
  52. Leonidas

Gargoyle, Where would we today be if the vote moving to Sparta had been no?

Please be realistic and not just wishful thinking.

53. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

The last time someone was put in the position of examining dark deep secret spending he was promptly eliminated. Anyone remember Dr. Frank Rively?

MODERATOR 1, Ken Cerney and wpt like this.
  54. wpt

I get to talk to a lot of shooters (Friends) and many of them seem to think the fact that a lot of shooters will not support the Grand by attending is more bothersum to those who do attend than those who do not ... The claims of 100,000 plus shooters (attendees) were no doubt impressive to the folks from Illinois while they were preparing to build the WSRC, can't help but wonder how they feel about it today when they see the real numbers ... Have they ever used all of the traps for the Grand, I have been told no, but do not know that to be a fact ..? The WSRC is going to be there for a long time, how long it gets used might be a different story but they are in no way ready to put the key in the door and shut it down as of yet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

55. oldphart

While I too would like to see an income and expense statement that would be understandable and would show all the little and large payouts I donot believe that this will ever happen at least not until some major changes take place. Maybe then we will have an organization that will grow and continue to do so no matter where the Grand takes place.

56. wpt

Transparency, Integrity ... Wonderfull things ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

57. Gargoyle

How long was the Grand in Ohio? 106 years. Why during that time didn't they buy land and secure it? At some point they should have known to do something.

TX was willing to do anything to get them to come to their state, Ohio was willing to do the same and there were others who wanted the Grand in their state. But yet we went to Ill. Into the lion's den. One day the lion will wake up and then we will be in trouble.

The members need to take control of things and kick some butts. The Board and EC think they can do as they please and have no one question them. They also think they don't have to answer to anyone or any group. That needs to stop.

wpt likes this.
  58. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Gargoyle The ATA came to Vandalia in 1924. Several Dayton and area businessmen purchased the 60 acres of Land and donated it to the ATA. the Life members were listed as owners. The rest of the land that came into use over the years was leased from the city of Dayton.

I wrote an article that was printed in the August 2012 issue of Shotgun Sports magazine about the 1913 Grand that was held in Dayton , Ohio and why the ATA selected Vandalia to be there home starting in 1924. Even back in those days the Ohio area had lots of shooters. The 1912 Grand was held in Springfield Illinois and the 1913 Grand was held in Dayton with 33% more entries than the 1912 Grand had.

Dave Berlet

dr.longshot and lord maker like this.
  59. Rosey

It's all about money. Watch the camp sites and the vendors.

Family Guy and Michael McGee like this.
  60. Gargoyle

Thanks for the info Dave. But the question still stands in all those years someone had to have seen what was going to happen and should have done some securing of land so we wouldn't be forced out like we were.

61. oldphart

From what I have read and heard the Dayton Airport was going to expand (that project fell through) taking away some of the traps that were on leased land.

The City of Dayton and the State of Ohio did not offer any suitable land for either purchase or lease to the ATA. Land was offered for sale in Indiana but would have had to been a dual trap line, this was turned down as the ATA didn't want a mortgage.

The land that the Cardinal Centre now sits on was not in the mix at that time, the land that the trailer park sits on was considered but was deemed too small.

The only place that could accomodate the ATA requirements without costs was in Sparta which had previously been turned down. That in a nutshell is how we are now in Sparta.

I purposely left out individuals names involved in these events and some of the other retoric, just a brief synopsis of these events.

lord maker and Leonidas like this.
  62. Leonidas

Thank you for your post.

63. Palos shooter

Where else in America could the ATA get free land and a governor to build them a Fifty Million Dollar gun club with no money down .It is like the ATA is on the Illinois welfare program.Let's face facts ,the ATA is broke money wise.Even if they could afford the land down payment where would they get the money for the building of the club..Borrow money??Who would pay the interest on it
    How much money could they put down?? What are the assets ??We pay a couple of bucks in dues that won't buy a gun club this size.
    If the ATA did find some land could they have it zoned without a long drawn out fight..Not in my back yard ,maybe someone else's..
    The ATA is doing just fine in Sparta.
    Did you ever get your car blocked in in Vandalia???limited parking! Ever see the campers that took up about six extra parking spaces and saved them for their buddies..Homeland security would have gotten rid of us in Vandalia.They close schools with one bullet casing found.
    It was time to move on and they did .They took the best deal that was offered.It is like getting a free house to live in for as long as you like.
    I don't think the ATA could afford the upkeep and taxes on Sparta even if it was given to them.

64. Gargoyle

Sparta is like Obama care. Sooner or later the question will come up. Whats it really going to cost you?

65. User 1

"The ATA is doing just fine in Sparta."

Have you been there ???? I have.

I don't care where they have the Grand ... but if you are not in Sparta to shoot for AA points or some other title, you will not attend very often. It is NOT a place for a family vacation.

That is an opinion based on ... I have 'been-there ... done-that'... thankfully without my wife.

66. Palos shooter

User 1
    Also been there and keep doing it.It is a shooting complex .For family vacations there is Disneyland. The only thing I ever did in Vandalia was the Wright Patterson AirForce museum after the grand was over.I still go back to the museum every year.
    Most state shoots I attend don't have much to do for a family vacation.Wisconsin has the Dells.Illinois state shoot has Litchfield I'll..What the hell is there to do in these hick towns..Cold beer ring a bell.

67. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Active Member

OK i'm not a Sparta basher, there is nothing like it in the world.
    It is the best shooting facility the ATA ever had.
    BUT...it is big time over-kill with NO infrastructure at all
    AND IT WILL DIE....

68. Family Guy

Actually there were 3 in Ohio. Mysteriously they were never put in front of anyone. Chicago Politics? I do not see what the fuss is about right now tho. Ohio has 3 shoots, all of which could have more attendance than Sparta. But to what end. I doubt the CC wants the ATA to tell them how to run a shoot.

The Cardinal Center was throwing registered targets before Sparta.

Oldphart- - We agree on that. The ATA could not afford to mow the grass.

As far as parking...I never have a problem at the Cardinal Center.

The better the Cardinal Center does the more affordable Sparta becomes.

69. Family Guy

Oldphart- - - This is the issue in your post I think is most worth arguing. The move away from the trapshooting population was the costliest decision the ATA ever made. It has nearly destroyed the organization. If not for the CC it would have bankrupted it.

Why would anyone be surprised someone that found the big shoot in their backyard is happy. And who would be surprised they are on the site supporting it? Gee, go figure.

Excluding the old Tristate, Ohio has more shooting opportunities than ever and PA has one of the top 3 shoots!

70. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

My family goes on shoot/vacations every year and no one ever complains about the Silver Dollar in FL or Cardinal Center. Plenty of great restaurants and close to all amenities. If the kids can't find enjoyment in a pond full of catfish or a swimming pool it might be best to trade 'em in. Ever been there?

Fortunately, none of us has asked what its like to spend a week visiting a cornfield in IL because I doubt it'll ever happen. Life is too short!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  71. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

What its going to come to, and it may already be, is a few key shoots a year.
    Ohio, Pa. , Mi., and a few others will be the big shoots of the year.

I visited the Grand 3 yrs. ago and liked it. Yeah it's remote, but a facility of that size has limited options.

The fact that it's in a farming community doesn't bother me. I go for the event.

I must say, the few days I was there, I met some of the friendliest people yet.

Regards.....Gerald

72. Rosey

As much as it has been discussed in the past, I can't believe some still think that OHIO didn't bring any new locations to the table when the Vandalia location was near the end.

Michael McGee likes this.
  73. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

Rosey:

I will bet money 1/2 of these people doing all of this thinking don't have a clue who was even the ATA president that year.

Ron Burdick

74. jd8820

jd8820 Member Founding Member

Cornfields might be boring but they don't strip cars during the night like my was in beautiful Dayton the first year I attended the Grand. I do not go to a trapshoot for any other reason then to shoot it is the nicest shooter friendly layout around. Granted I miss the shade trees but that is all. Everybody remember what they called a cafeteria it was time to move on. Paul

75. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Active Member

Ron....I do ...I do...pick me....

76. oldphart

FG. I did not indicate that the ATA move to Sparta was a good move. I just stated how the move took place. Anytime you move a venue away from the area most involved with this venue you will loose participation. If you recall Tom Acklin tried his best to move the ATA to Indiana and did not want to go to Sparta but at the meeting the BOD turned Indiana down.

77. Palos shooter

Was Indiana going to spend millions of dollars to build a new shooting facility for the ATA????.If that is the case they could build a new facility for the Indians State Shoot.I am not sure of this but Indiana is looking for a new place to hold there state shoot because of the limited space they have now.Let the high rollers step up .Lots of clubs would like some money to expand.You have to remember that
    (Money talks and bullshit walks).
    Illinois put up the money...What else can you say???
    Complaints__no grass to much dust the first year..to hot..Its August.No shade .To much security??not congested enough??No places to eat..no entertainment..Try StLouis .They have everything..Go to the Hill in StLouis for the best Italian meal that you will ever have.Try Zia's on the hill .Non of this is in walking distance of Sparta..That is why we drive cars..

78. Family Guy

No old phart....my take is far different. The story I have is that when TA went to look at a the site in the area of Cambridge and Zanesville is that after arriving late he stepped out of his car and stated this place doesn't have anything that Sparta doesn't. He crushed out a cigarette and left.

To that end I think he left this world with far fewer friends than he did before that year. He did get a gun for his efforts.

Again....in the end Ohio has far more now than they did before. jmho

79. Palos shooter

I Would like to think that Stories are just Stories and Facts are Facts.It is like (My friend told me what he heard from his reliable source).
    Ohio used the Vandalia grounds for their state shoot and didn't even think of there own grounds until Vandalia closed up..They had years to find there own home grounds but they didn't..It was more profitable to use the ATA home grounds in Vandalia that was supported by all the ATA members that that paid dues.It was a super deal for Ohio.It is just like the ATA using Illinois for the Grand..same Comparison Use someone else's place to hold your event..no upkeep on someone else's place..WOW...

Leonidas likes this.
  80. Family Guy

Palos....if only you knew the truth. Ohio paid for the fence that went around the complex. Ohioans also did much of the upkeep at Vandalia. They felt it was their duty. If the place was left to the hierarchy of the ATA it would have been the failure Sparta is now.

I know several Ohio shooters that quit shooting registered targets long before Vandalia left. The big reason was paying around 10k for the fence. The ATA was a drain on OSTA.

Palos, I cant read the forum for you. As stated above the Cardinal Center was throwing registered targets before Sparta. 3 sites were proposed prior to that. The Chicago anti gun politicians won a whore out name.
    Another false statement Palos. The CC was designed by Ohioans and built by Ohioans as well other folk in the surrounding states. They donated time, labor, and machinery to that end. Fortunately they had a private investor.

If you are contrasting that to Illinois....rather than helping build their own they relied on the anti-gun politicians and the tax payers of Chicago. The ring leader felon Blagojevich. Rumored to be on the 18 yard line after prison.

You tell me why Sparta is failing. I already know why the CC is not only doing great but expanding. But then again registered trapshooting is only an afterthought in Ohio and PA.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  81. Palos shooter

Family guy.
    If you think that any Chicago politicians under the leadership of the mayor Richard Daley would build a shooting facility ,I have a bridge to sell you.Daley closed the Lincoln Park gun club on the Chicago lakefront.He would never OK a gun club.
    Sparta also has a investor..Is called the Tax Payers Of Illinois..I have not followed the Cardinal Center and its roots.I am sure a lot of hard work and planning went into the place.I am happy that the shooters in Ohio finally have a home grounds.I don't have a dog in this or a Axe to grind,I have been shooting since 1965 and my memory is still doing good.I plan on shooting at the Cardinal this year..With the cheap gas I will travel a little farther to shoot.
    Blago was a set up by the feds Jessee Jackson was the buyer for Obammas seat in the senate..Another fall guy story..At least Illinois puts some of the crooked politicians in jail.Other states just overlook them.
    This has turned out to be a long thread..Learned a few things myself.

82. Family Guy

Palos...I should have added again to remind you that I think Ohio trap shooters have more opportunities now than 15 years ago.

83. Barkingspider

Barkingspider Active Member

The firing squad??

84. Leonidas

If thats the case why the negative hype on how Sparta is failing and the ATA management?

And before you start your rant I hope the CC does good and I will shoot there sometime. I'm just curious on why the rants at this stage of the game.

85. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

More opportunities for Ohio shooters..........??????

We recently lost two old clubs. Getting harder to shoot registered unless you spend a long day and drive a lot.

The Cardinal may become our only salvation.

Regards......Gerald

86. wpt

The best thing that ever happened to Ohio shooters in a round about way was the ATA getting forced out for whatever reason ... This is what brought about the Cardinal Center which has become a mecca for a lot of shooters and the OSTA ... I do not recall ever hearing anyone complain about the (CC) facility, the way shoots are run, the targets, camping, eats, and having plenty of accommodations (sp) in the general area ... The place is run like a business that provide serves to the customers and obviously they are doing a good job of it ... The ATA gave up a lot (shell sales and camping) in making the move to Illinos and by taking some of it back people are seeing the prices go up accordingly, camping I was told has gone up in price though I have no firsthand knowledge of that ... The Cardinal Center is a release for a lot of shooters who will not attend the Grand in Illinois, so these shooters are still supporting the ATA in an indirect way because they have no choice ... I plan on stopping in at the Cardinal Center this year to check it out and quite possibly the facility in Sparta also ... The 3 times in my life that I was in Sparta I found it to be a very nice laid back type of place with some very friendly people, maybe a little slow moving by a lot of people standards but that don't make it bad ... I do not envision very many major corporations making big investments in Sparta or close by so it is what it is ... Have to see what happens and take it from there to where ever its going to go ... The WSRC is going to be there for awhile how long is anybodys guess ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Michael McGee and Flyersarebest like this.
  87. Rosey

Jaquas didn't shut down the trap shooting because of lack of interest. It was a business decision based on a land sale offer. I'm not sure what other club you're talking about, or if they closed due to lack of attendance, but one of our local clubs is adding a trap.

The Sparta issue is purely a location problem. It's entirely up to the individual trapshooter to determine if the Grand is special enough to them to make the drive. For many that attended the Grand regularly in Ohio, they now have another day of travel to get there. Evidently, many said no, it's not.

The pro-Sparta guys like to blame the Ohio shooters and claim they are just throwing a fit, but that's just an excuse. Ohio shooters have consistantly been in the top 4-5 states in attendance. The ATA had to of felt the shooters from the western states would make up the difference, and just hasn't happened. Facts are facts!

88. Palos shooter

I just looked on another web site that the Wisconsin Trapshooters club located in Rome WI.is having a hard time paying there bills.They left Waukesha to build there own home grounds in Rome WI a very nice place.The problem is that they have only the state shoot to make any money on.They are looking for donations to help pay there bills.This is a good cause to donate to.The state shoot is well run with very nice people working to make it a success.They have a lot of shooters that have the same argument as Sparta..very divided..I am sure that there board of directors tried to make the best decision on there move to Rome Wisconsin and owning there own home grounds.
    My friends and I have shot there state shoot for many years and will continue to shoot there..A big plus is the Recobs sell components during the shoot..They have a Bunker and I will shoot it when it is open..

89. Gargoyle

Family Guy. That post you made with the TA stepping out of the car and saying NO just proves what I said a long time ago. THEY WERE GOING TO SPARTA NO MATTER WHAT. WE ARE GOING TO SPARTA AT ALL COST. VOTE ALL YOU SAY NO ALL YOU WANT BUT YOU HAVE NO SAY IN THE MATTER. We the members have no say or control of things and our vote doesn't matter. How wrong is that? Its very wrong.

90. Family Guy

In 30 days, the ATA is supposed to hear from Illinois. According to the minutes in December they will be told whether they might be allowed to have the Grand there this year.

How accurate was this thread?

91. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

Why would you open up a thread that is 6 years old?

Ron Burdick

History Seeker and Brad M like this.
  92. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

Not very. For one, the article is not available to even read from 6 years ago. Secondly it's 33 days, not 30. Thirdly its not closing to my knowledge and I think I would know if it was, I have shoots planned up to the end of the year, we just had a small one 2 weeks ago and have another this coming weekend. How long did it even take to find this thread?

93. Smithy

Hey Brad......you got it wrong again! It was shuttered dummy. That is why the SCTP left. Without notice the SCTP College Championship was left hanging by the gun haters in Illinois. They were saved by the Cardinal Center. Ha funny right. For 10 more years?

You won’t get any information from Illinois in 33 days other than it is possible the ATA may possibly have the shoot there. Possibly. I hope it stays there. I don’t give a rats ass if they shoot there this year. Just stay there!

John Trap and wpt like this.
  94. Smithy

5 years later. Same questions. Lololol. Will Sparta be open?

Brad M, John Trap and wpt like this.
  95. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

Your right, it was temporally closed to shooting activities due to budget constraints for a short period of time in 2015, I seem to remember the Grand was where in 2015 & 2016? that's right, Sparta. The Grand can happen but SCTP can't, that seems odd.... SCTP could of stayed, I'm pretty sure there was more involved than just the "shooting complex being closed so we are going to move it to Ohio" going on. File some FOIA's and get the real truth. I'm pretty sure the Grand will be in Sparta and those who do nothing but bash the ATA(and are lifetime members who refuse to shoot anymore because of the move to Sparta, how there vote said they don't want to move to a gun hate state, and on and on and on) would never come anyway.

Not meant to singling you out Smithy

I understand some of those on this site feel screwed over by the ATA but grow up and move on, poop or get off the pot. Lot's of talk here about lawsuits, FOIA's and investigations, NOTHING HAS CHANGED that I have seen. Where's that new organization that some folks here were supposed to start? Faster and wider targets right? Lot's of money from those who don't or won't support the ATA any more. Just like it used to be, I won't hold my breath until its formed and takes over trapshooting, but if it does get going I'll gladly host a shoot for you...

Rn3 likes this.
  96. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Brad M maybe this would have been a good thread for you to avoid. Illinois stiffed the SCTP and Jack and the Cardinal Center was there to bail them out. Once the SCTP left it was the beginning of the end for Sparta. When their is only4 months to go till the Grand is supposed to happen and no one, including you, can say for sure that the Illinois government will allow it then Houston We Have A Problem.

dr.longshot and John Trap like this.
  97. Smithy

Now you remember? Lololol. Yeah Illinois didn’t give a rat’s ass about the SCTP.

I will help you with some more facts. The next year the joint offered free targets to the SCTP to stay. They said nope. Wouldn’t stay if the targets were free. Now what’s that tell ya?
    I wish you were able to be right. The SCTP said no. Last year Illinois said no. Ohio and PA were shooting while the gun hate state said go to Missouri.

So Brad M....we should take your word again?

Sounds good to me. I have faith in the gun hate state. So did the SCTP. 10 more years.

Please stay in Illinois. Jmho

John Trap and wpt like this.
  98. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

Planning on it til' 26...

99. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

I have been around for a little bit, I remember it all quite well, almost left the trapshooting industry during that fiasco...

100. Smithy

yeah the vendors listened to that bullshit. Illinois laughed and stole their money. No shoot. No money returned. Even free was too expensive. SCTP got it right.

Brad M, wpt and John Trap like this.