Sparta and why May deadline doesn’t matter.

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Smithy, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

The ATA has told us they will hear from Illinois by May 1 as to whether Sparta will be Open in August.

Regardless of the decision, it will be like Neville Chamberlain waiving a letter of appeasement. The State of Illinois can make a decision to close that place for any legislative reason or legal mandate they want.

Illinois cannot guarantee the place will be open. Just the rumor of another virus strain can close the joint. The thought of people with guns and viruses can be scary to a liberal. And a liberal doesn’t give a rat’s ass about the prized shoot.

We have that MOU and the lick and promise it would keep the place open. How did that work out?

Here comes May 1. I will play along.

Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  2. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

Well I’m pretty sure no one could foresee a global pandemic that killed hundreds of thousands of people. By the way, If the governor of Ohio asked cc to close because of a deadly pandemic I’m pretty sure they would close. Things were different in the 1930s...

3. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

Spoken like the clueless person you are! Ohio was told by the governor they could not have the state shoot!

Earth to Brad M....they had the Buckeye Classic, Cardinal Classic and the Ohio State shoot.

You would know that if you weren't so clueless about what is actually written on the site. Do you have any children at home that can help you post?

Roger Coveleskie and John Trap like this.
  4. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

5. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

Flyersarebest and John Trap like this.
  6. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

7. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The ATA, its members, anyone that schedules events at the WSRC are at the Mercy of the Politico's governing the State because it is run by IDNR ... There have been many times over the years that things have been done that made absolutely no sense what so ever, there is nothing to keep that from happening again if by chance someone gets another bright idea or fart stuck about something ... That is truly a sad state of affairs, but as renters that all they got ... The State of Illinois has proven time and time again that leases, MOU's, hand shakes, promises mean nothing to them, so everyone just wait and see what happens or don't happen, the employees have no say in the matter ... End of Story ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

John Trap and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  8. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

Brad, you either can’t read, or want us to think you can’t read. Let’s try it again.

The governor tried to stop Ohio from shooting. Ohio shot anyway. He said we couldn’t shoot. We shot.anyway. We had a State Shoot. Sparta was shut down.

Ohio had a Buckeye Open even tho the governor said no. In Illinois the US Open was shut down.

Ohio has the SCTP National Championship because because Illinois abandoned them.

The gun hate state will shut down Sparta in a blink. Not even the governor in Ohio could shut down the State Shoot. Sparta would not be allowed to have the Grand today.

Got a clue yet Brad?

9. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

The point is Ohio Shot, Illinois did not. Could of, would of ,might of. What is fact is that the ATA "should of" listened to their members when they said don't move to an anti gun state..

10. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

11. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Moving wouldn’t matter. The shooters closer to that place would make up the difference and the attendance would not drop.

Said the flying pig to all the people standing on the floor of a frozen hell.

12. Charles Baker

Charles Baker Active Member

And yet....
    2020 Targets
    Illinois = 3,129,925
    Ohio = 3,076,150

13. Smithy

Did you hear that...

According to C Baker. The state of Illinois didn’t shoot last year but they shot more than Ohio!!!!

you can’t make that up!!!! Lolololol

14. Smithy

Please schedule the grand in Illinois!!!

15. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Well, since ILLnews is the Trap shooting center of the universe that makes sense. Remember, they had the grand with the 3-4 thousand entries they always get for Event 24. And with the SCTP kids alone shooting thousands of targets at the place no wonder ILLnews shows more targets.

What? When they do have that shoot they are lucky they only get around 2000 for the big day? And the kids don't shoot there anymore even though they were offered free targets?

Never Mind......

wpt likes this.
  16. MShooter

MShooter Active Member

I am a Missouri trapshooter. I get the Ohio / Illinois rivalry but the ATA needs to get off the pot.

steelheader, Storeman and wpt like this.
  17. MShooter

MShooter Active Member

And not that it matters to me but the shooters and targets for 2020:

Active State ATA members for the 2020 target year;

PA #Shooters 1,693 Shot 2,948,600

OH #Shooters 1,557 Shot 2,100,075

IL #Shooters 1,328. Shot 1,688,650

According to the ATA.

Storeman and wpt like this.
  18. plaw

plaw Mega Poster

With most a ILL. Shut down for most of 2020 it's hard to believe they shot that many targets.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  19. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Didn't happen.

wpt likes this.
  20. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

The Sparta complex can be shut down in a heart beat by the Gov. because the State owns the place. Cardinal is a privately owned business and basically told their Gov to go pound sand. (ya gotta luv that)
    I wonder what the numbers were say 15 or 20 years ago in reference to # of registered shooters in Pa or Ohio or Ill. I would think back then much higher. Am I wrong?
    I knew a bunch of reg shooters back then (all deceased now) and know only a few reg shooters today. Is it cost, fewer ranges, other activities?
    I see less people taking up the sport at my local club too.

wpt and oleolliedawg like this.
  21. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

A lot of the older shooters (no disrespect intended) I talk to, don’t have the expendable income like they had in there younger days, shells were cheaper, travel was cheaper and so on. It’s a shame, the ones I know are great shots and have lots of great “old timer” stories. Just the cost to enter some of the bigger shoots like the grand or cardinal classic can be in the hundreds if not thousand, if playing the options, plus the cost of shells.

22. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

You need to get out of that shit-hole boondoggle and talk to real people .....

Most 'old Trapshooters' have more money now then 'back in the day' ......

It is all about no incentive to spend their lunch money when there is no gold or glory, period .....

You know it was getting bad when full-time shooters, shooting free shells, wouldn't even show up for a shoot-off for a plastic duck and a few 'points' .....

FWIW ..... I doubt any past or current serious Trapshooters hang out in the shit-hole boondoggle, and tell the head custodian why they no longer have an interest in ATA Trapshooting .....

wpt, BRAD DYSINGER and John Trap like this.
  23. Brad M

Brad M Well-Known Member

I don’t clean the shitters, man. I make my rounds, I talk to people, I know real names here, no matter what screen name you use, I just stay low key when I’m out and about, kind of like some on here. Your probably right on most old trapshooters having more money, maybe the ones I know are not rich like the ones you know. You should visit wsrc more often, you might come to like the place, wait, no, just stay over where you are I don’t need your negativity over here. All I did was state my opinion and you turned towards the shooting complex and how bad you all think it is, was, and always will be until the Ata leaves, not once in my comment did I ever say where I talked to the people I know or say anything about the wsrc. All you want to do is bash the complex constantly. I get it. You hate that place, everyone knows already. Everything always leads back to the exodus from vandalia, it’s gone, bulldozed and never coming back. I don’t care what you say about the complex, I enjoy defending it, it’s my Homeground and always will be. Plus I enjoy stirring the pot here.

Rn3 likes this.
  24. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

"stirring the pot here" ...... not on your best day ...... Look foolish ..... always .....

It doesn't matter to me how foolish you make yourself look, but if your goal is to "stir the pot here", you could at least post above the level of a child .....

Do you really think a multi-business owner/head custodian of the boondoggle, would have time to troll all hours of the day/night ?????

You have to be out of shells, and/or not shoot, if you only buy your yearly shell supply at the grand that didn't happen in BFE .....

Your "pot stirring" probably works better in mental-midget Kool-Aid land ..... where, like you, they have never shot enough to know the difference .....

John Trap, wpt and BRAD DYSINGER like this.