Scores down at Southern Grand

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Orangeman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

But the attendance is doing better than expected. Almost even with last year. There must be ammo somewhere.

2. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Been windy in Fl especially with all the fronts blowing thru this time of the year, Looks like its time for Harlan to change guns, he changed ammo-looks like the two aren't mixing well

3. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Are there any Canadians at the Shoot?

4. Union Strong

Union Strong Well-Known Member

AL - 4
    AR - 5
    CO - 2
    CT - 2
    DE - 4
    FL - 93
    GA - 7
    IA - 15
    IL - 33
    IN - 18
    KS - 6
    KY - 35
    MA - 6
    MD - 12
    ME - 1
    MI - 11
    MN - 4
    MO - 5
    MS - 5
    NC - 12
    NE - 4
    NH - 8
    NJ - 9
    NV - 1
    NY - 40
    OH - 57
    OK - 2
    OR - 1
    PA - 67
    QU - 1
    SC - 6
    TN - 35
    TX - 8
    VA - 5
    WI - 19
    WV - 6

pump gun guy likes this.
  5. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Looks like the whole squad of Mississippi shooters made it.

Remember when we made yardage easier for Mississippi shooters. We were told their numbers would grow with the easy yardage rule!

One shooter from Canada. Wondering if he can’t get back.

pump gun guy and oleolliedawg like this.
  6. dfwip9x

dfwip9x Well-Known Member

Caps today were a bit of a challenge. The wind was variable....my squads scores definitely dipped a bit. Still lots of fun. Great place to shoot.

Family Guy likes this.
  7. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

To prove a point Harlan ,just shot a 72 in the handicap championship event

pump gun guy and Family Guy like this.
  8. dfwip9x

In defense of Harlan, he wasn't the only one that struggled. LOTS of top shooters posted ugly scores. Tough day.
    Paul

Family Guy likes this.
  9. sleeperhawk

sleeperhawk Active Member

Here in South Carolina at the club shoot with winds and low 40s, handicaps were in the low 70 and upper 60, singles only 1 90 or better was posted, so yep conditions sucked here too

Family Guy likes this.
  10. Troutbum

Troutbum Active Member

I know from experience that wind at the Silver Dollar can be tough. Winds there tend to swirl making it hard to predict if they will jump or dive.

11. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Especially when facing the bamboo jungle

12. dfwip9x

Really, the entire week has been tough. It was quite warm early in the week, then temps dropped about 20 degrees for the end of the week. Wind was constant but swirling. Still a great shoot, and it beats shooting in a 20 degree snowstorm. Hoping things warm up just a bit for the State shoot starting tomorrow.
    Paul

13. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

A fundamental Law of Trap Shooting Old men, Heavy Guns, and WIND = low scores. Maybe ATA can get those targets set a little slower and narrower. ATA Trap Shooting headed in a Fantastic Direction this year, just watch.

14. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

You would almost think a lively sporting gun would have been better under those conditions

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  15. dfwip9x

There has been a bit of complaining, which I quite honestly don't understand. I've always enjoyed targets in the wind. I think it adds an element of fun and challenge to the game. But I also enjoy handicap wobble, so what do I know....

16. rem90t

rem90t Active Member

I believe he has dual citizenship..............

17. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Mega Poster

Florida is always tricky this time of year. I understand it’s a get away and a kick off of shooting to some but I still haven’t had the urge to go myself. Year after year it’s the same stories of bad scores and wind.

18. Troutbum

Troutbum Active Member

But it sure beats spring in the northern states.

19. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

My first time down there. I did not think it was much different than shooting OH. Things started on time, moved along nicely. No complaints.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Actually. they run a great shoot. No bank selection and you might get a day or two of decent targets. The place can be challenging. I should know, I've been attending most years since they opened.

21. pump gun guy

pump gun guy Active Member

Just THINK what it would be like if they were shooting the old 3 Hole , Hand set and Hand pulled targets ! :)