Quincy Gun Club

Discussion in 'Your PICTURES Trapshooting - Sporting Clays etc' started by UncleBen21!!, Mar 9, 2022.

1. UncleBen21!!

UncleBen21!! Mega Poster

Pictures of my home club located just across the Mississippi River in Taylor, MO West of QUINCY, IL 62301. 5 Trap Fields 3 are also used for Skeet. We shoot ATA registered first Sunday of the month. All fields are completely concrete NO walking in mud and all are wheelchair accessible with continuous 4' wide walkway. Club house for about 40 that is airconditioned - Men and Ladies restrooms - Soda, Water and snacks available. Open to public Thur. Noon to 8 - Sat. Sun. Noon to 4. We have 50 bird derby on Thur evening and Wobble Derby 3 Sunday of the month. Practice is $6.00
    Call for info: 217-242-5819 and can find us on Facebook. Welcome to stop in and shoot.
    PR5 (2).jpg PR7 (6).jpg PR8 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2022
    old682x, C-Money and cl3 like this.
  2. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Your club looks a lot different than the one I shot at with Leo in the 70's and 80's. I remember seeing the old club under water in 93 on NBC news. I always wondered how the club was physically in Missouri but was registered in Illinois. Just thought that odd.

3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Thanks for thinking of us ''Chair shooters''.

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

The old club house back in the 70's and 80's had an enclosed porch, since all the flooding back then, the main club house was expanded using the old concrete from the porch to make the main club house larger. In the last few years. concrete was pored on the trap fields to accommodate handicap shooters. Since you brought up Leo, I remember him shooting there when he was a teenager, when the weather was 20 degrees, and he was shooting in a tee shirt.

Jim Flynn and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  5. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

In all those years we shot together I can only recall a couple of times he wore a jacket. I did see him covered in goose pimples a bunch of times after we were done shooting.

I think the first time I shot Quincy was 1976.

Jim Flynn likes this.
  6. settersit

settersit Active Member

Great looking active club, sounds like a lot of events to shoot. Great area for sportsmen too, remember Pops and me crappie fishing Mark Twain Reservoir first week in May, probably 10-13 years straight, good memories.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  7. BRAD DYSINGER

I killed my first turkey in 1979 around Mark Twain Reservoir before it was flooded. I hunted their for about 5 years, it was very nice hunting before the lake filled up, with water and people.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  8. MKJKX6

MKJKX6 Member

My great uncle found a lot of arrowheads in the Mark Twain Lake area before the Corp of Engineers built the dam. The bridge at Joanna was left intact when the dam was complete & the area flooded. My uncle found it with his depth finder while fishing on the lake.

The Quincy Gun Club is thriving under the direction of our club manager Jim Rice, and volunteers like UncleBen (Joe). The upcoming spring trap league that starts on Tuesday has 72 teams.

Brad - Grandpa Leo's club is still there south of Hannibal on Highway 61. The present owners do not throw any registered targets. They may have a derby every so often. The rifle/pistol range is still active.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  9. BRAD DYSINGER

I shot a lot of rifle at Leo Sr's club and some trap practice but I'm not sure if I ever shot any ATA but I might have way way back 75 or 76 but not sure. Ann and I stayed at Mark Twain Camp ground on 61 and we spent a lot of time at Leo's tractor store. Seeing Leo run the parts counter made me laugh out loud. He wasn't a farmer by any means. I miss them all and Hannibal.

Ed Budreau and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  10. Shooter11

Shooter11 Isaiah 30:18

Great looking!