PSSA blunder

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Mike Poore, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

I just checked my ATA Shoot card for 2023 and see that I have "0" targets. In 2022 by this time I had 900. Moving the Westy Hogans back into the previous shoot year was in my opinion a mistake. Never mind they put it up against the Cardinal Classic, a very popular shoot that many PA and Eastern Zone shooters attend,,,, and did!

2. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

Mike-

Were they able to use all 12 banks since they moved the shoot to August? I know they had a hard time getting help in September, but if they still weren’t able to use the other banks, I don’t see why they would continue having it in August. Throwing against the Cardinal Center would be tough, it’s a lot more convenient for a lot of the Western PA shooters to get to…I know which one I would go to if I had the choice.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  3. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

Justin, they were down in shooters, significantly, as you might expect, and 8 banks were plenty to accommodate the throngs of shooters. We thought it interesting that the President nor his son shot. (maybe they went to Maringo) (grin)

4. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

Yep, that is interesting. Too bad, I remember when you couldn’t find a parking space at Elysburg behind banks 1-3. Not so much the last few times I was there, and that was even at the state shoot.

5. GOAT123

GOAT123 Member

Why would anyone want to shoot in Pennsylvania? The association allows for corrupt bank assignments and disgraced ex teacher to dictate policies. Pkus you voted for the that idiot in the senate

6. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

The Cardinal shoot was off something like 40% for the week. We had plenty of help but not near the quality that we had when I last was a Tournament Director there. The move probably hurt both shoots a lot.

7. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Bigger shoots are going the same route as the smaller clubs anymore…..throwing against each other and cutting their own throats. We used to have many very successful shoots in W PA area years ago(Mock,TriState,Case to name a few) clubs got greedy and starts throwing against one another.
    Paul H
    imperial, PA

8. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

PaShooter, when I first moved to Maryland in the fall of 1985 I was suprised to see that the state Association put out one program for all the registered ATA shoots for the year in Maryland. There was only one shoot each weekend. Clubs picked their dates and had historic shoot dates for many years.

I left Maryland in 93 and they were still doing it. I thought that was a great way to protect small to mid size clubs.

Billy and MOE like this.