Primers and Powder

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Cavscout107, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Cavscout107

Cavscout107 Retired Army

Really beginning to think the lack of primers and powder, is not a supply and demand issue!!!......every major site is void of primers.....a few cans of powder out there. All the big manufacture honchos are saying they are producing ammo at a record pace......really???........this shortage has to be the work of something other than supply and demand!!!

2. geno 12

geno 12 Active Member

another big liar theory

THEUNLOADER likes this.
  3. I'm just getting back into it after fifteen years out and man it's been a challenge to find anything! It sure seems odd that everyone is that far behind.

4. Cavscout107

Cavscout107 Retired Army

Very odd indeed!!

5. Just Trap

Just Trap Well-Known Member

Not really, if you take into consideration production shut downs, lack of raw materials, and the fact that reloaders and target shells don't amount to much for a company making ammo. Better margins on pistol & black rifle ammo. This horse has been beaten for many months now. I have been able to purchase primers & powder all along. Yes, more than 2 years ago, but I have been able to keep shooting while others complain about not being able to find factory shells. I guess I would rather be reloading and shooting than wringing my hands that it's some "big conspiracy".

6. Cavscout107

Cavscout107 Retired Army

OK....share the knowledge!.....where are you able to purchase powder and primers?

7. Just Trap

Pm sent.

8. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

There is a really large shortage of components. I feel the makers of powder,&primers are (like the fuel industry) making there own shortage for profit.

9. Joe Winnicki

Joe Winnicki Mega Poster

Our club just got in 40 8lbs kegs of powder (sold) I'm buying the last one today, one keg per member per month . Price $235/250. Also this week 250k of 209 primers and another 250k on the way samething one per member per month. ($45.00k) Also tons of re-dropped shot, limit 8 bags of shot per month per member. You have to be a regular local member. When you buy your purchase is listed against your name, no exceptions! No special treatment for officers or board members.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  10. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

Joe your post is just what I mean. My last purchase from my club in Calif. was $130 for 8lbs and $25.00 K. for primers. This was about a year ago. Now most components are not to be found.

BABYJJ and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  11. Joe Winnicki

Joe Winnicki Mega Poster

Do not normally reload for 12 ga or 20ga will reload for 28ga and 410 for practice. But do to a major manufacturer canceling our regular shell order after a year on back order it left members at our private scrambling for ammo. I believe our standard order for a 100 members is 2500 cases plus what the club uses for over the counter sales. Looking at some powder I bought a couple of years ago looks like I paid $179.00 for 8 pounds, primers 26 to 32 dollars per 1000. I don't hoard but I'm well situated even with metallic ammo. While visiting my brother in Flagstaff, Arizona last month Sportsman's Warehouse had primers I picked up 4k primers at $39.95 one thousand a day per customer. It's just the luck of the draw!

12. chipn100x100

chipn100x100 Active Member

Does anyone else find it odd that Cheddite primers have been pretty much available through all of this? Why is it that they can keep up with the demand and the others can't? Since Vista Outdoors owns CCI, Federal and Remington do you think they are trying to control the market?

old682x likes this.
  13. squirrel_hunter

squirrel_hunter Active Member

If any of ya are driving thru Arkansas any. I went by several stores with cheddite primers and powder. I have seen 8 pd kegs in red dot, unique and 300MP. I am planning on using 300MP in my 410. Alot of places has 1 pd bottles. I bought Winchester wsf, 572. HS6 and Longshot for my 28ga.

14. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

mission6222 nailed it. the shortage is created. what is put on shelves is sky high. its the industries way to get you pay the new norm, that is artificially made. the gun industry is NOT your friend. they want whats in your wallet before someone else gets it.

15. bobski

cheddites are 86 a thousand in mo. not a deal at all.

16. 99PLUS

99PLUS Well-Known Member Founding Member

I don't find it odd. Winchester , Remington, Foicchi and Federal probably use all the primers they produce in their own ammo, I don't think Cheddite make much shotshell ammo.

17. Brudford

Brudford New Member

And why is there a shortage of components with obscene prices why you can find them ? Well you are to blame, all the shooters with more money than brains ! Stop shooting for a couple of years and let the gougers eat their inventories , they are stealing from you because shooters will pay the prices . Find another hobby for the next couple of years . I watched with great amusement all the lemmings on Gun Broker bid $250.00 for a thousand primers and then brag that they scored some primers .

18. Rott

Rott Member

IMO, this shortage has to be the work of something other than supply and demand.

boiler1 likes this.
  19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Watch for dead shooters and those who can no longer afford to shoot. They seem to be turning up frequently in my area. I might not be too far behind 'em but the way prices keep going up the kids might be inheriting something of value instead of cash.

20. BABYJJ

BABYJJ New Member

Government can't disarm you but guns are useless if not have ammunition for them.

Mike Holland and oleolliedawg like this.
  21. Just Trap

Well Baby JJ - if you can’t find components to reload, you’re not looking very hard.
    Virtually everything is available, maybe not the powder you used for 40 years, but something that is very close. Or maybe even better.

22. oleolliedawg

Primers are not everywhere-at least like the kinds we like at a price we can afford.

23. Just Trap

Cheddites for about $60/1K, NobleSports @ $40/1K.
    What’s not to like about that? No Remington or Winchester for what you paid in the 80’s?
    Adapt, and keep shooting.

24. settersit

settersit Active Member

Exactly, if you live in any of the prominently retirement areas of the country, ie. Florida, Texas, desert southwest, etc, there is usually a small gun shop or a pawn shop that buys shooting supplies from survivors of an estate or widows who seek to get rid of shooting supplies. Obviously, the components may have been compromised, like opened bottles of powder, partial bags of shot that can be questionable, reloading equipment that may need a few parts or TLC. The prices can be quite attractive, and if one has a keen eye, and some knowledge of what you are looking at, some real steals are possible. Keep making visits on a regular basis as inventory constantly is updated. It pays to make friends with the proprietors, perhaps drop off contact info as to what you are looking for. And absolutely don't forget garage sales - rummage sales, especially if it is a prior club member or is advertised as having fishing equipment, they may have been shooters or hunters also. It only takes a few minutes to breeze through, hit 5-6 on a Fri or Sat, never know what you'll find.

25. BABYJJ

BABYJJ New Member

Can't beg,borrow or steal 8 lb. unique. Know who has some??? Let me know

26. Just Trap

Where you located BabyJJ? My local supplier had some a week ago. Also available online.

27. oleolliedawg

Cheddites are a no-no in a Krieghoff and Noble Sports are closer to $50 plus change in PA.

28. offset

offset Active Member

Tell me where you can buy Noble Sports for 50.00 plus. I don't think so.

29. bobski

the lack of shooters at my matches tells me it isnt all so peachy keen as everyone makes it out to be. my shooters are/were working class and they made a family decision to shelf shooting due to cost. my range is dead.
    but the well off are still popping caps every weekend just a few miles away in gated clubs. most shoot with a key when THEY want to, not when buddies or a social event is happening. its more about feeding the addiction to shoot, than it is to socialize and be a well rounded sportsman.

30. bobski

fyi...nobles get punctured primers in my k gun. i wont buy them.

31. oleolliedawg

Shydas Outdoor Center in Lebanon PA or Richland Shooters Supply in Richland PA. Must be purchased in cases of 10,000.

32. Just Trap

Put about 40K Cheddites thru my K80, no problems. KYGUNSCO (sp?) $399, no shipping.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2023
  33. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Supply and demand --Last summer $48 a pound for powder and $90 a 1000 for primers --$35 a pound and $60 a 1000 for primers today. We just have to weed out the gougers.

34. oleolliedawg

I see those for $345/5,000. I don't ship primers as they're considered HAZMAT.

35. Just Trap

The company I was referring to has NobleSport primers 10K for $399, no shipping.
    There are even some published loads starting to show up for them and some folks have sent them in to be tested. And, yes, primers are a hazmat item, but there are many dealers licensed to ship, so no problem.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  36. oleolliedawg

Send 'em your money and see how many they'll sell you at $400/10,000 I'll take 500,000 at that price. SCAM!

37. Just Trap

Might want to check around, many have already purchased at that price.

38. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

For the record. Just Trap is correct on the price of $399.00 for 10K with free shipping. I just googled and found KYGUNCO and they do indeed show that price on their site. I don't know if they still have them in stock this minute, but anyone interested can try.

Thanks to member Just Trap for the heads up.

Flyersarebest.

39. Flyersarebest

I didn't put in your order so you will have to contact them yourself.

40. oleolliedawg

They cost us around $430 and change and we buy many hundreds of thousands at a time. I can buy Winchester 209 primers all over the internet too-no credit cards accepted. Winchester hasn't shipped a primer in over a year.

41. oleolliedawg

I'll say this once. If anyone actually purchased Noble Sport primers for $399 including shipping please show us the invoice and proof the product was delivered. I'll gladly eat crow and apologize profusely.

42. Flyersarebest

9FAC206F-CBE6-4A88-A34B-EC36F0057F94.jpeg
    Did you even bother to find the site and call? They don’t have a BIG store, the have 2 BIG stores in KY.

I just got the phone with their customer service. The price is back up. The gentleman said the $399.00 price was supposed to run until end of business today but it stopped yesterday.

He DID ask how many I wanted, and said he would sell them to me for the sale price of $399.00 SHIPPED since their marketing dept screwed up.
    You know, if I still shot as much as I once did I would spend the money just to hear you apologize.

I told him all about our site and he thanked me for that. Maybe if you call tomorrow and tell him that you belong to AmericanTrapshooter and one of their moderators talked to him today( Friday) he might sell you that 500K you said you would buy for the $399.00

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Jon Arnett likes this.
  43. Flyersarebest

From the looks of it they have a few guns too

08378ED0-D59E-4036-8144-F8CCE0BAFA96.jpeg

Their high end indoor ranges looks like it would be fun.

Yeah right, a scam. Sometimes I just shake my head

44. oleolliedawg

Well, things have changed a bit. Noble Sport primers are changing their packaging. All future shipments will be 5,000 primer in a box.and we have a bunch coming. That's good news.

45. oleolliedawg

So, maybe marketing screwed up again and quoted the price on a 5,000 primer case instead of 10,000. Their reputation for screwing up is well documented. Order now and get 5,000 instead of 10,000 and try to get a refund.

46. oleolliedawg

Their sale reminds me of a sign at my local bar-" free beer-tomorrow".

47. Flyersarebest

Oh Boy, here we go again.

Dawg, you are a real piece of work, You were too lazy to go to the site Thursday and see that they did indeed have them for $399.00 and now you are still trying to imply it never happened. LOL

Anyone that found the site Thursday saw that is was indeed 10K. Just because your little outfit can’t sell them at that price doesn’t mean a BIG reputable store with TWO locations can’t.

You said you would buy 500,000 if the price was $399.00. I called and the gentleman and he said he would sell them for that price. I told you to call, hell I did everything for you.

If you didn’t have the $2,000.000 I would have loaned it to you. All you had to do was ask instead of typing something about how you know what Nobel’s packaging is and a sign at that bar where you apparently spend most of you day.

You typed all that BS, when all you should have said was,

I’m SORRY, I was WRONG.

You have had to do it before so it isn’t something new for you. In fact, you should have it saved in your documents so you can just cut an paste it.

And BTW, I know you get off trying to stretch this type of thread with your crazy logic but this is the last post on the subject so don’t try it. You’re on thin ice already, you don’t want to start jumping up and down.

Flyersarebest

48. Just Trap

Well Dawg, seems like you must have a shop. Might want to check with another distributor, just picked up 5 sleeves from my local guy today. Plenty of powder also (all the 'Dots', 700X, 572, 20/28, etc.

upload_2023-4-1_17-27-5.png

49. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Winchester primers!

E3!

No way.

50. oleolliedawg

Wow, Winchester primers. The Winchester rep must be mad at us. We do get in limited amounts of Alliant powder from our distributor but that's it. We actually can order Alliant powder direct from Hodgdon at a 10% premium but we're not interested. Too expensive.

51. Just Trap

I had no idea you could buy Alliant powder directly through Hodgdon; guess you can learn something new every day. I’ll have to try finding that option on their site.

52. oleolliedawg

I'm not sure you'll find that option on their site but it might be limited to dealers only. My source is very reliable. Nonetheless, your Winchester primers are several years old. The new box is blue-a great find no matter what.

Attached Files:

53. Just Trap

Think you have that reversed - blue boxes are the older production. Bought these from the estate of a shooter that passed about 6-7 years ago. When did the red boxes come out?

Attached Files:

Stl Flyn likes this.
  54. Faret

Faret Member

Just before they came unavaliable.

Stl Flyn and Just Trap like this.
  55. oleolliedawg

Maybe you're right. I've got a few red boxes behind the blue ones and my brain might have issues. I've gotta check this one out. Well, I did score on 6,000 Remington 209's at $50 each and two 8lbs. of Promo at $150 each on Friday. Supposedly from a deceased trapshooter but I wasn't arguing.

56. Ted

Ted Active Member

I hope I can get some Winchester primer soon

57. Just Trap

Why bother, better prices on Cheddites & Noble Sports. And now many published loads from the powder companies.

58. Jon Arnett

Jon Arnett Member

[​IMG]

Thanks For Your Business!
    Order KAF2-M1CV-UHF6L

Saturday, Mar 25 2023 at 8:01 AM EDT
    1 × NOBEL AMMO 209 Primers 10,000 Pack (214413) $399.99
    Subtotal $399.99
    Shipping Insurance $5.00
    Total $404.99
    DFCB7321-E396-4A22-96E0-2C133888A137.jpeg

I did the $5 insurance on my first order, left it off the second order.

oleolliedawg and Flyersarebest like this.
  59. Flyersarebest

How about that, $399.00 and free shipping for TEN THOUSAND. Who woulda thunk it.

Just Trap likes this.
  60. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

Just called the price is now 650.00 for 10,000

oleolliedawg likes this.
  61. Just Trap

That happens about every 2-3 months - they will be on sale for a period, then go back to previous prices.

62. Flyersarebest

If SOMEONE would have called last Thursday when they were on sale, they could have bought 500,000 at the $399.00 per 10K price.
    Heck, they could have called Friday when the sale was over, and they still could have bought 500,000 at the $399.00 per 10K price.

Snooze, you lose.