Powder changes with age?

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by rrisum, May 26, 2022.

1. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Just found a 8# jug of International Clays powder -- At least fifteen years old -- would the loading data be the Clays or the International, or do I have to find a old reloading manual that lists it? Will its age affect the powder performance? -- didn't want to pass it up --Just want to check with the Pros.

2. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

if its stored properly and doesnt smell bad or show signs of melting chemicals, no. but companies do improve and change the way they make it. dont mix the old batches with new. i found out about that with red dot. never again will i mix petty amounts into the new can. i would ask the makers if data has changed with their new powders.
    i load old powder with old data and new powder with new data to be safe.

Billy likes this.
  3. Michael jenis

Michael jenis Well-Known Member

Lucky you,I,ve used 30 year old powder and worked fine.As bobski said if it hasn’t stored properly your all set. If it’s lumpy maybe not so.

4. Speedshots0

Speedshots0 Active Member

If you keep the powder at indoor temperature and humidity, it will probably outlast you.

High temperature and high humidity is what kills powder, not age.

I have some that's 40 years old and it shoots just like new.

Bad powder looks rusty and smells bad. If it smells like ether, don't be concerned -- that is normal in some new extruded powders.

5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Just shot some 60-year-old reloads I found my grand dad had loaded up.
    set me back a few steps, that's why I am asking -- If that's what he was shooting he was a better man than I am,

6. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

sounds like hunting loads.......

7. TWs

TWs Member

bobski, you sound like the guy I should be talking to. I am new to 410 reloading and I need some once fired hulls.
    Do you have any recommendations for me?
    Thx

8. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

I’m still loading Rifle Ammo with surplus powder
    from the Second World War I always keep it
    in a controlled environment

Faret and rrisum like this.
  9. Rick R

Rick R Active Member

I picked up an unopened 25 pound keg of Nitro 100 from 2006 a few weeks ago, made up a few rounds and it still busts clays like I remember.