Pesky .410 Loading Problem

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Low Six, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Low Six

Low Six New Member

Greetings all -
    I'm hoping by sending out this post to this wealth of experience you can help me tackle a pesky problem I'm having loading .410 hulls on my Mec 8567 Grabber. I'm loading old style AA .410 hulls. Win wad, Win primer and 14.5 gr of 296 (or H110).

When I lower the press, the primer/powder tube wants to nick the edge of the hull and then subsequently can cause a problem inserting a wad and shot. If I slow down quite a bit and finesse the tube down I can avoid the problem but this is really inefficient. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Low Six

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

When I load the old style(CF) hulls, I notice that some of the hulls have a dog leg or bent after shooting. Now this could be what is happening, or your powder drop tube could be bent. Make sure your clamp on the drop tube is tight and not slipping. You may need to order a new drop tube.
    Also, the new Mec's primer punch have a taper section to help opening up the case mouth.

3. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

first thing i would do is disconnect the auto indexer and eliminate the wobble by indexing by hand. gud luk

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member Founding Member

http://creativereloadingsolutions.com/

I load a bunch of 410 in any case that will load once, and this helps with all brass. The pump gun gets Eurotrash and worn out good hulls. I save the good stuff for the K-80. At the best, the little guy is a pain to load. Also, make sure your shell/wad guide is set right.

pump gun guy likes this.
  5. don pasko

don pasko Active Member

Check the detent ball in back of the main shaft base. That's what keeps you aligned. Also the detents themselves for any crud buildup. To load 'rats', shove a pen a little bigger than the shell in the case mouth and spin to open before loading. (actually, a small plumb bob works better) Most of the other stations are self guiding, the re-prime not as much. Good loading! Don P.

6. sts1100

sts1100 Active Member

Check out the link Shooting Coach posted, Rudy's UPP can be adjusted to flare the case mouth.

7. icyclefar

icyclefar Active Member

Take a very close look at the primer seating assembly and make certain that the spring pad comes up flush and square to the underside of the base. If the spring pad is cocked, the shells will be too.

8. Take a tapered bullet and spread the mouth of the shell a little works for me.