Nobel Primers, How To Get Them On Your Machine

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Flyersarebest, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I'm sure you guys that have purchased Nobel primers in the 1000 count trays have come up with your own solution to getting 100 out of those big trays and into the smaller factory trays so you can get them on your machines.

I visited my good friend of 42 years, and fellow member RVH, today and he showed me how he does it.
    The dealer already has the big trays wrapped in cellophane so that step is taken care of. If you have to do that yourself, it's not hard and it will save you a lot of time and frustration when you accidently dump a tray on the loading room floor.

First, he found a stiff (the soft floppy ones won't work) refrigerator magnet that was the size of an empty factory 100 count tray. You can cut one down if need be. Next, he glued a small piece of wood trim to the back of the magnet.

Cut off enough cellophane, position the magnet over the 100 primers and lift out. Position the empty 100 count tray under the primers, insert them into the tray and slide the magnet off. Put them on the machine primer tray as usual and away you go. Pretty great idea, I think.

Old news for you veteran Nobel users but for the new guys I thought it might help

I like the magnet idea better than the idea of one of my club members. Dump them in a plastic bucket, hold an empty 100 count tray down inside the buck and shake, rattle, and roll the loose primers into the tray.

I winced just writing that.

In the 3rd picture picture notice the primer 6th row down and 3 over. I'll have to call RVH and tell him

IMG_1286.JPG Untitled.png IMG_1288.JPG

JSKOLAR1 likes this.
  2. Tom in PA

Tom in PA Active Member

3. Keith Douglas

Keith Douglas Active Member

Flyer,

Great idea if you have a steady hand. (I don't) FYI this is how I do it. Slide a 1000 count tray in a wad bag and dump them out. Put the 100 count tray in and put a big hand full on top and gently rub them around in a slight circular motion. Fills up pretty quick.After filling six 100 count trays add anther tray of a 1000 to the bag. The bigger hand full fills the 100 tray faster, and the last couple 100 trays will take the longest. I transfered 5000 in a half hour. Could have did the whole case in an hour but ran out of 100 count trays.

Thanks, Keith

Flyersarebest likes this.
  4. 1straightshot

1straightshot New Member

Nice idea. Seems easier that than any other way.

5. Tom in PA

Tom in PA Active Member

I'm told that if you go to the big box hardware stores, they sell magnets that go over the top of your floor a/c vents that are big enough and thicker/stiffer than most refrigerator magnets. I haven't started using my bulk primers yet so I haven't gone looking myself.

6. pedulla

pedulla Member

also to transfer from the magnet to a 100 count primer tray, the tray needs to be to a winchester or they won't line up properly. The cheddite primer tray does not line up.

alf174 and Flyersarebest like this.
  7. Timothy A Paschal

Timothy A Paschal New Member

Dump 1000 in a wad bag. Take a primer tray and shake thru the pile.
    You will get 90 or so in. Shake a little more and you can put the last few in by hand. Took 1 minute to get the hang of it.

ric1911a1 likes this.
  8. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Sympathetic Detonation: Definition

"Act of causing one explosive charge to detonate by detonating another charge nearby"

Just sayin....

God forbid it ever happened, but if it did it would look like you stuck your hand down your sink garbage disposal.

9. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

A friend just picked up 10000 at Recob in Wisconsin, and the gave him a magnet! Works great