Long shot powder?

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by rrisum, Mar 31, 2021.

1. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Got my first bottle of long shot powder to load for games-- Have been watching several other long shot powder reloaders shot - all say they are loading Hodgdon 33.9 Gr. loads /1530 fps. that is listed on the bottle. My question is? I realize long shot powder is a slow burning powder - So when you see them shot with a 12 inch flame out the end of the barrel - Isn't that unburned powder being wasted in there loads? also, does the barrel length make a difference in FPS. using a slow burning powder like Longshot?

2. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

rrisum yes 34 inch bbl does the best job, i nver go over 10,000 psi in any of my loads, use only #6 Mag Shot.

GB.............................................DLSD

3. Inkball

Inkball Active Member

I only use it in the 28 gauge. I like the “snap” Longshot delivers.

4. Msmith

Msmith Active Member Founding Member

Hello, I also use it in 28ga. It’s a snappy powder and some call it loud shot as it seams to have a louder report than others at the same fps. Mike

eurojoe likes this.
  5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Loud shot is right -- tried out my first reloads at our games night --Reloaded to all specification on the bottle - even a tad less - was blamed for using oversize shot -- Club has a 7 1/2 shot limit -- Just couldn't get it though their heads noise does not relate to shot size. -- With a shell shortage, dammed if I was going to give the a shell to tear apart.

Mike Holland and Flyersarebest like this.
  6. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I had the pleasure of standing to the right of a guy on the the Annie line one night that used it. The problem was there were about 30 guys on the line and only about 50% of them knew what they were doing. We were near the far right of the line so this guy got a LOT of chances at second or third shots. He kept knocking people out and when it was his turn he didn't miss so I couldn't get away from the noise or the concussion. He finally missed one and I was able to send him to the bench.

Noise never bothered me, I wear my plugs, but this stuff was too much. The next Annie I made sure I was far enough away from him.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he has since stopped using it. Wonder why!

You can ALWAYS tell which guy is using LOUDshot. Even from a pretty good distance.

Mike Holland and eurojoe like this.
  7. Fishjager

Fishjager Member

I use 30 grains of it behind a 1 1/8 oz load with windjammer wad. I get 1300 FPS average. It works fine. Loud yes, but that is what earplugs are for. It is personal but I feel much faster loads will blow a whole in the middle of the pattern? It is up to you.

I don't have that many complaints about my load as far as noise. It really gets loud when you go up to 32 or more. The label on the side of the bottle goes up to 37.0 grains, now that is smoking.

8. 28ga guy

28ga guy Well-Known Member

I have never had any luck with it as far as pattern goes. All I can guess is that guys get some with the speed because it sure isn't the pattern. I pattern at 50 yards and all my 1 1/4 loads with Unique, Herco and 540 out pattern long shot. The only thing it has going for it is speed near as I can tell.

9. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Speed will kill the pattern for sure -- My go to load is Remington STS shells - CCI mag primmer - waa12f114 wad --26.4gr. longshot -- 1 1/4 Lawrence mag shot -- Hodgdon list it at 1330 -- Hodgdon same load for Winchester HS shells call for 29.3 gr. for the same speed but does not pattern as good.-- Mag. primers are the secret- I think? for the slow burning Longshot.

28ga guy likes this.
  10. Unit88

Unit88 Member

I tend to agree with "speed kills"......Our Ike's club has 1-1/8 load of 7-1/2's rule. We were loading for max book powder charge.......Patterned the load and found it uneven with holes. (blown pattern) We have since backed off powder charge to get 1400fps and pattern looks real even when shot out to 50yd. It is our goto games load using the STS hull and chedite primers. Pretty loud though:)

11. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

RIO Primers have large flash holes, and burn LONGSHOT BETTER. That is why I have used RIO's for so long. Price is good, Never had bad Rio Primer Federal 209A's are a hot primer.

GB...................................................DLS

12. dr.longshot

Believe ths or not, I was at Walmart and reading about REMINGTON Products, Article said theywere going to Mfgr Primers in New York site. I never liked Remington Primers, they are cooler primers, soft loads.

GB...........................................DLS