Loading 28ga for squirrel hunting have 2 questions.

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by squirrel_hunter, May 31, 2022.

1. squirrel_hunter

squirrel_hunter Active Member

I bought up several bottles of Winchester 572. To find out it wouldn't in old style AA and Super X hulls. So i fount several bottles of HS6 and Longshot. Of the 2 powders which one give best hull life.

I will be loading 3/4 oz 6's and clays 3/4 oz pink wads. I have a ton of cheddite 209 primers. But only few 1000 Winchester and CCI 209 primers. Could a person use cheddite in place of win or cci primers? I can find cheddite locally in several places.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Active Member

I prefer Longshot for 3/4 oz of 6's along with Green Dot for 5/8 oz ! Make sure you understand the difference in CF hull to HS hulls along with Straight-walled ?

3. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

People beyond 12 years old shouldn't use a shotgun for squirrels. Just sayin.

Roy

rrisum likes this.
  4. squirrel_hunter

WTF is it to u what i use!! Just saying!! If someone wants to hunt. I am not going to talk down to them. As long as there having fun!!

5. squirrel_hunter

CF hulls takes the pink wad. The hs hull takes the hs wad? Only reason i have the old style AA and Super X hulls. I got a nice deal on them. I paid .3 cents each for them. The guy had over 2 large flat rate boxes full of them. Been looking around for some HS aa hulls. I bought a bunch of factory Winchester AA hs ammo. But they are 7.5 shot. I was planning on crow hunting with them.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Active Member

You might want to check those Super X hulls for being straight-walled ?

7. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

You're right. It's none of my business what you use to kill squirrels. Maybe you're half blind or something. If so, I apologize. If not, use a shotgun or whatever you want but please just don't call it "hunting." That word implies sportsmanship and ethics and respect for one's quarry.

Roy

8. squirrel_hunter

No not half blind i hunt national forest land. Its hills and bluffs. I dont want to worry where my 22 round went if i miss. Other people are out there also. So i hunt squirrel with either a 410 or 28ga. And few places are shotgun only.

9. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I apologize.

-Roy

10. squirrel_hunter

I loaded a few boxes up with 4 shot. I was wondering if the 4's would work better around leaves.

11. CB630

CB630 Well-Known Member

4-5-6 distance, retain energy and pattern
    One pellet will do the job IF it hits the right place but don't count on it

12. squirrel_hunter

I dont go any smaller than 6 shot. I have 6 bags of 4 shot . I thought i would use some up. Save the 6 shot for later on. Too load for my 410 3 inch . Dont care too much for 4 shot in a 410. I loaded 4,5, and 6's in my 28ga. Never loaded any 1oz in 28ga yet. The 3/4 oz has worked great. Before i had hardly any hulls. I bought up several 100 ct boxes of Winchester AA hs 3/4 oz 7.5 ammo. I will have to shoot the 7.5 up. So i can have the hulls too use.

13. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I have been using HS6 for years and before that Win 540, which is the same powder. I use the Win CF hulls and get at least 10+ reloads.

14. squirrel_hunter

I like it so far. I will be looking locally for some more.

15. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

If you can find them- Rio had a 1-ounce 28-gauge load (I bought a few flats of them with 6’s) and they are an awesome hunting load. My buddy has also had great luck reloading them with 7/8 oz loads. I still have 4-5 flats of the factory 1-ounce loads so I haven’t had the need to reload them, yet. Great for squirrels and pen raised pheasants.

16. squirrel_hunter

I bought some Federal 28ga heavy game loads 1oz 6's. I bought them when i got my 28ga. Walmart here keeps them in stock.