is orange county rod and gun, fla still open or move?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by bobski, Mar 9, 2023.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

any fla shooters here? i use to shoot at this place in the 80's. you could see seaworld down range. funny, i use to hear the gun reports when at seaworld too.
    any inputs?

2. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

The property is now a park with ball fields and other playground stuff. You can google maps 10955 Smith-Bennett Road, Orlando, FL for a view. The owner of the property, a charity foundation, decided a gun club was not politically correct, but the existence of the club was doomed by the building of homes close to the property anyway. Florida supposedly has a “grandfather” provision for gun clubs, but on rented land the landlord has the final say, ask Palm Beach, similar situation now a shopping center parking lot. Went through rent increases, accusations of ground water contamination, county code violations; none of which worked. So the landlord simply did not renew the long term lease after it expired. No relocation, Orange County is a highly liberal, gun hating utopia, and the politicians they elect reflect that. If suitable affordable property were available, permitting would be impossible. The gun club funds were exhausted correcting code violations, paying exorbitant rent, and finally lead removal at the end. It was all a shame because while not luxurious, it was a fantastic place to shoot with a convenient location. Such is the world we live in today.

3. bobski

thanks for the update. sad indeed. won my first lewis purse there!

4. bobski

whats the nearest range to Orlando these days?

5. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

Winter Haven to the south, Eustis to the north, Bithlo to the east. Also volusia (Daytona) to the far north east. Winter Haven probably closest to where Orange County T&S was.