Illinois Law - Semi Autos Illegal ATA OK to Stay?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by badactor, Jan 11, 2023.

1. badactor

badactor Active Member Founding Member

So the Anti-Gun state of Illinois has passed their so-called gun hate law. Yes, another one! Hundreds of guns banned and no immediate reaction from the clowns of the ATA Board of Directors or Executive Committee.

Not even a peep from any of our Delegates!

What gun owner would give a penny to the state? Please put your name here. Stand up and be counted!

Ken Cerney and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  2. Cali shooter

Cali shooter Member

Actually in reading the bill, anything that takes place at WSRC is specifically excluded from the bill. It also says the weapons and magazines are legal on your own private property. It also appears several county sheriffs in Illinois have stated they will not enforce the bill. Still pretty crappy. Eight states — California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York — as well as the District of Columbia, have passed laws banning the sale of assault weapons.

John Trap likes this.
  3. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

Earth to Cali Shooter.

it doesn’t matter how many other commy gun hate states do this. Our flagship shoot is in Illinois. And tell me what the definition of an assault weapon is.

It doesn’t matter that a Sheriff said he won’t support it. The fact that it was passed should be enough to stay away.

Cooperdisciple and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  4. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Until they perfect teleportation, good luck if you get stopped on your way there ......

The "WSRC is specifically excluded" most likely will not get you any mileage most everywhere outside the gates .....

5. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Maybe this was why the rush to let the Mexican's into the SW zone. The mexican GAH is in the future. Not much difference beteen Illinois and Mexican politics.

User 1 you are spot on. Every State on Cali Shooter's list is a no go for me. I've been to every one of them they get what the deserve. FJB. and the EC too.

6. Wally Worker

Wally Worker Member US Navy Retired

User 1 makes a good point. Some may want to run the gauntlet to get by the IL Police. Then you have to leave and run the IL Gauntlet again!

Why do that? Why care? Why go to that place?

7. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Mega Poster

Illinois is a joke and the ATA is a joke!

Wonder why attendance at shoots are down so much?

Paul in Virginia

8. Clipperite

Clipperite Active Member

We don’t have to quit shooting trap because of Illinois.

9. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

"The bill will prohibit the possession of semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and grants local enforcement authorities the power to add additional firearm bans in the future. Moreover, firearm owners of now-restricted weapons must register with state police."

Some of the sane police head honchos have already said they will NOT have their police enforce this "law" and I'm sure there will be court suits to stop it, but this is a perfect example of how ILLnews views the 2nd amendment.

Since the ata only cares about how much money they take in, every one of you that still go to that place for the shoot they hold there in August should email the ata and tell them you won't shoot there until they get involved in fighting this new "law".

10. User 1

So ...... Where is the "immediate reaction" from the NRA, GOA, and,and,and ........ as well as the ATA and every other Organization with their hand always out for more money to 'fight' ?????????

Until people understand sending their lunch money to the Chicken Little's does NOTHING, it will only get worse .......

Roger Coveleskie and Ken Cerney like this.
  11. John Trap

John Trap Well-Known Member

From what I have been told, expect the pro-gun lawsuits to start next week.
    There are several county sheriff's who have already came out and stated they will not enforce this new law. They state that it's unconstitutional...

12. Wally Worker

Wally Worker Member US Navy Retired

Big Whoop! So there are a few Sheriffs that aren’t going to enforce the gun hate State’s Law. Bottom line is Illinois is a gun hating state. The elected politicians treat gun owners like criminals.

John, you can shoot by yourself in your gun hating state. I can shoot two more shoots in OH and PA rather than spend money in your state.

13. trapshooter47

trapshooter47 US Army Retired US Army Retired Founding Member

WSRC maybe for sale anyway. Just saw it on ATA website.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  14. John Trap

Wally you're welcome to shoot where ever you would like. We have a lot of trapshooters here in Illinois, and Illinois stepped up and built the world shooting complex in Sparta. You have nothing like it in OH or PA. And Illinois has not banned any trapguns, that I'm aware of...

As of yesterday, there were more than two dozen county sheriffs who came out against the ban, and would not be enforcing it. And the number is growing.

This fight is far from over!

15. Flyersarebest

"Republican Sheriff Mark Landers of Logan County, just northeast of Springfield in central Illinois, was among the first of his peers to declare his stance, posting on social media Wednesday that “the right to keep and bear arms for defense of life, liberty and property is regarded as an inalienable right.”

Calling the law “a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,” Landers said that “neither myself nor my office will be checking to ensure that lawful gun owners register their weapons with the state nor will we be arresting or housing law-abiding individuals who have been charged solely with non-compliance of this act.”

Landers did not immediately return a call seeking comment Friday. But Jim Kaitschuk, executive director of the Illinois Sheriffs Association, said more than 90 sheriffs have issued similar statements based on a template he provided. Reaction has been overblown he said."

Last time I checked, 90 was more than a few

John Trap likes this.
  16. John Trap

And I believe there are 102 counties, in the state of illinois, each with their own sheriff. So 90 out of 102, what's that over 88%?

Flyersarebest likes this.
  17. WillieG

WillieG Member

18. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

No matter who owns it. It will still be in gun hating Illinois. Roger C.

19. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

The SCTP found something better. They were offered the WSRC for free. They still signed a 10 year deal with the Cardinal Center. LOL

20. Got Beagles

Got Beagles Active Member

The State Highway Patrol is still enforcing State Laws in Illinois aren’t they?

User 1’s idea of teleporting into Illinois is the way to go.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  21. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

Do you have a switch on your gun that changes the gun from single shot to firing both barrels? That would be changing the rate of fire. Banned.

22. Union Strong

Union Strong Well-Known Member

Typical comment from a liberal from a gun hate state. We didn’t ban “that gun”. Yet? Little by little the gun hating states attack us. Traveling to Illinois puts another dollar in the pockets of gun hating politicians!

Not me. Not my dollar!

23. John Trap

I'll bet that I've been an active union member longer than you Union Strong, and I'm not a liberal. You can shoot wherever you like, I'm sure we won't miss you...

24. Clipperite

Clipperite Active Member

John. The “we” your are talking about is minuscule now don’t you think?

Glad to hear you won’t miss us. You won’t be whining since gun owners won’t be coming to your gun hate state? Good to hear you won’t miss me too.

Your gun hating voters and politicians won’t see a nickel of my money.

Cooperdisciple and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  25. John Trap

There are plenty of shooters at the Grand. And it's still the biggest event of it's kind in the U.S. We will do just fine without your money, and your attendance. I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself at your smaller shoots....

Out of curiosity, what complex do you have in your state to compete with the WSRC?

26. Jim/Canton

Jim/Canton Mega Poster

John,
    The SCTP Nationals has more participants than the gun hate state place. They thought the CC was a better place. Lonnng contract with the CC.

27. John Trap

I think that we are talking about two differant types of events Jim. I'm talking about trapshooting. Isn't the SCTP a mixture of trap, skeet and other activities?

28. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

And if they don't find someone stupid enough to buy it for more than $1 then what?

29. Kiehl

Kiehl Well-Known Member

John......

Your statement that you and Illinois won't miss us is very gentlemanly. Too late tho. The once great GAH had around 5,000. Looks like 3500 already experienced Illinois laws.

Are you aware the ATA paid mega bucks for a survey that said don’t go there?

30. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

Whatever it costs. Keep it open. Keep it there!

Flyersarebest and John Trap like this.
  31. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Are all the parents going to allow their children to own and operate guns banned by the State? Will it be considered child endangerment to participate? The ATA blinked at the CA minors law. Will the highway patrol be outside the grounds?

Lots of legal exposure here. Sheriffs saying they aren’t going to enforce the laws doesn’t make the laws go away.

32. John Trap

I have heard about the survey, is it the state of illinois fault the the ata moved there?

33. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Flyers, are they now or how soon will they be added (semi auto shotguns)? If it comes to this it would put quite a hurt on trapshooting in general and it would be devastating to the AIM shoot. This is something that if they get a toe in the door then they want the whole leg in and after that they try to get the whole body in. It's all in the plan and the democrats and the far left lib loons are diligently trying to disarm us and I don't like it.

Dave Berlet

34. CCfan

CCfan Active Member

John Trap. It isn’t OH or PA fault you can’t attract shooters. Quit whining at us. If Illinois won’t support your shoot, that’s your problem. We have our own venues. Besides….. I saw where you aren’t going to miss anyone.

35. John Trap

What guns banned by the state, have you seen children shooting at the Grand? And the highway patrol is tasked with supervising the states highways. They were there directing traffic at the first Grand in Illinois, the next year they were not.

The sheriff, refusing to enforce the new law, is a step in the right direction. Soon the lawsuits will follow.

36. John Trap

I'm not the one whining here. Are there more trapshooters at the Grand, than trapshooters at the biggest cardinal trapshooting event?

37. Union Strong

Union Strong Well-Known Member

John….

You do seem to be whining. You can’t make these people shoot at a gun hate state. There used to be 4500-5,000 at the grand. I read fewer now since 1950. Illinois made it what it is.

You asked if I have seen children shoot at the grand. Of course children shoot at the grand. There are youth categories. WTF. You don’t know that?

Enjoy what you destroyed.

We love guns here. We don’t need the ATA to shoot trap. Definitely don’t need to spend money in Illinois. You did say you won’t miss us.

Your time would be better spent lobbying your state rather than offending other trapshooters. We won’t miss you.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  38. Family Guy

John Trap implied Illinois State Patrol does not enforce gun laws in Illinois….

This from Fox News Illinois:

During the blitz, ISP did 1,716 compliance checks, as a result of these efforts, 1,014 individuals were placed into compliance by surrendering their FOID Cards.

The checks across the state started June 16 and ended July 31.

“We commend the Illinois State Police for working to ensure that individuals whose FOID cards have been revoked are following the law and transferring their firearms,” said Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart. “I dedicated a unit to this important work nearly a decade ago, and we are committed to working with ISP to help to keep our communities safe.”

39. John Trap

I see that I can't get a simple answer, to a simple question.
    People on this site have been complaining about the ATA for years. Why not start your own version of the ATA, and have your own version of the Grand?

The facts are, the ATA is not coming back to Ohio, barring some unforeseen circumstance.

And the southern part of Illinois, is completely differant than the Chicagoland, and surrounding area, when it comes to the opinion of firearms. But the Chicagoland and surrounding area has the political clout in Illinois. And what they say goes.

Let me ask you this, do you have a facility, in your state that compares to the WSRC?

And have you seen children shooting banned weapons at the Grand? That was the question that I asked. WTF, you didn't know that?

Let me ask you this, do you have a facility, in your state that compares to the WSRC?

40. John Trap

Don't attempt to put words in my mouth, I never said that the Illinois State police don't enforce gun laws, but they are tasked with supervising the states highways.

41. User 1

Some more things for the FWIW files .....

It is much harder repeal a law after it is passed, than stop it before it becomes law .....

A law becomes infinite ..... a County Sheriff that may refuse to enforce it is finite ..... So, the next County Sheriff is in no way bound to the prior promise, while the law lives on .....

It seems most of the three letter money beggars want to do nothing prior to a new stupid law, so they can beg for more money to do nothing after it becomes law ..... That becomes the gift that keeps giving .....

The three letter money beggars should have to prove their value in legal 'wins' ....... Like the NRA V The State of ????? where law ????? was repealed .....

Or ..... the NRA V State,County,City,Town ????? to stop the passage of law ?????

I seem to be doing just fine not being a active ATA member ...... But losing my rights is on a different level .....

Flyersarebest and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  42. John Trap

Interesting that you brought that up, user 1. We fought for years, for concealed carry, and now we have it. In those counties, where the sheriffs have refused to comply, it would be very difficult for an anti-gun sheriff to get elected. Remember, not all of Illinois is like the Chicagoland and surrounding area.

43. Cali shooter

Cali shooter Member

John Trap, you should know you can’t say anything bad about Ohio here, or how trapshooting was back in the day with 10,000,000 shooters in the GAH and $50,000,000 in prize money. This is the one where they don’t like WSRC and want to see it burn. You won’t change their minds here. Besides, I heard SCTP is thinking about heading back to Sparta when their lease is up at that place in Ohio…

John Trap likes this.
  44. John Trap

You are correct. I had nothing to do with the Grand moving to Illinois. But I do know that the state of Illinois and its taxpayers stepped up, when the ATA had to leave the facilities in Ohio, and provided them with a facility that was more than adequate for their needs. Where there other states that offered the same thing as Illinois?

It's too bad that they had to leave the vandalia shooting grounds, I heard there was a lot of history there.

Maybe the SCTP will move back to Sparta, who knows...

45. Family Guy

Hi Cali Shooter….
    I take most of the SCTP pics at the CC. Strange I never hear that stated. FYI….that lease has 8 more years left.

8 more years!

oleolliedawg likes this.
  46. Family Guy

John…,
    The ATA was not told to leave their facilities in Ohio.
    Ohio built their own facility and were throwing registered targets before Sparta. Just helping you with facts.

47. Family Guy

it is possible they go back there. Like I said, the lease is good for 8 more years. You may want to note the SCTP just got a new building there.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  48. John Trap

Why did the Grand leave vandalia then? I thought the airport needed the land? And why wasn't the Grand moved to a location in ohio?

49. John Trap

Is the SCTP affiliated with the ATA?

50. Family Guy

You are as bad a mind reader as you are a historian. Many of us do not want the corruption associated with the grand. Please keep those guys there. Do not bring that stuff back to Ohio.

51. Family Guy

I suspected you knew very little about trapshooting. Now I am sure.

There are old threads on the forum. I suggest you do some research.

52. John Trap

If you don't know the answer, just say so...

53. Family Guy

54. Cali shooter

Cali shooter Member

John Trap likes this.
  55. shortbarrel

shortbarrel Active Member

I suspect this new law will keep every shooter who planned to shoot his Butler or Fab Arms XLR5 to reconsider going to the grand.

Political history proves Illinois is at the top of the list where corruption is concerned.

56. User 1

IF ...... the not-so-grand location is more important to you than what is going on with the gun banning, you need to get your head out of your ass .. period .....

While this pointless pissing contest goes on, the big picture of EVERYONE losing their gun rights marches on .....

I hate the ATA, but, would gladly work with ALL the ATA members to fight the gun_banning_ignorant_people wanting to take everyone's gun rights .....

The ATA was lost by people sitting back letting it happen ..... keep on with the pissing contests and your gun rights will do the same .....

57. John Trap

You are correct about the corruption, with regards to the state of illinois. The guy that was governor when the WRSC was opened, wound up going to jail for a 14 year sentence.
    I don't think they have banned the Butler or Fab Arms yet though.

58. John Trap

It will be a battle, to fight this law. I suspect the pro-gun forces will look for a judge to put a hold on this law, and then go from there. It may end up before the U.S. supreme court.

59. User 1

I "suspect" as long as most people expect someone else to do all the work for them ..... then someone needs to start a site called 'former gun owners' ...... so everyone can piss on each other about their opinion of 'the good old days' ......

60. shortbarrel

They are both semi-automatic's, would that not qualify them as illegal as the law is stated?

61. Family Guy

John Trap…..many of us want the heads of the ATA to stay in Illinois because they are corrupt. We know Illinois isn’t coming here. Please educate yourself about the new Illinois law. If there is a switch that changes rate of fire the gun is illegal.

I bumped a thread so you can read it. Read it yourself. Please don’t ask us to read it for you.

Enjoy Illinois and the corruption. Enjoy the anti gun laws. At least you said you won’t miss us.

62. Family Guy

Do they have a switch that can change the rate of fire? Single shot to doubles? Looks like illegal.

63. trapshooter47

Family Guy there is a list of the 170 guns now deemed illegal, no trap guns listed. Is there a switch on semi-auto shotguns for singles and doubles? I always just put another shell in them.

Rn3 and John Trap like this.
  64. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Many older semi auto shotguns have a mag cut off. I love my Beretta 302's for that reason and I believe the old A 5's had one. What does change the rate of fire mean? I'd hate to have an anti gun DA and judge making the choice at trial.

65. User 1

Damn this talk to the toaster thread ......

Just because someone's favorite Trap Gun didn't make some current list, it is ok to sit with your thumb up your ass until it makes the list .....

Like the 'ATA survey' ..... I answered 'don't move', and they did it anyway, while my thumb was up my ass waiting for someone to do something ..... Keep the thumb up the ass and hope someone keeps your Trap Gun off the next list .....

66. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

You must be pretending to be really slow right.
    Oh my!
    Does your gun have a switch that can slow or speed up shooting? Some shotguns have that. We can’t examine your gun for you. There are switches on some.

67. trapshooter47

User 1 I live in Ky, don’t give a shit what Illinois does, furthermore I retired from the military, don’t talk to me about having anyone do SHIT for me. I’m also a combat veteran, so I’ve put myself ahead of a lot of you keyboard warriors. Tell me all you have done to protect anything or anyone.
    Orangeman I own shotguns with mag cut offs but to my knowledge I have never seen a hunting or target gun with a switch to change the cyclic rates of fire. I’m not saying they don’t exist, if so please inform me.

John Trap and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  68. User 1

I would be more than happy to ....... I will buy your lunch, dinner, coffee, beer, or anything else and answer your questions ......

I can tell you it is not only what I "have done", but includes what I am doing ......

People should "give a shit" because the gun banning is not going to stop at State lines or by itself .....

69. trapshooter47

User your exactly correct people should, I try to sell as many firearms as possible to legal citizens everyday, I work I in a gunshop. We provide firearms to the legal masses.
    If southern Illinois made the laws instead of Cook county, Chicago would be one of the safest cities in America. Everyone in Southern Illinois is like me and I assume you, they own lots of guns. Ky has some of the most lax gun laws in the US and I doubt it will change. Unfortunately we have had 2 school shootings within 30 miles of each other in the last 20 years.
    I’m sure, hopefully not in my lifetime, America will go down the road that Canada is going down. The younger generations don’t appreciate gun ownership like so many of us do.
    Oh, I don’t drink alcohol but if you want to get together, sweet tea works for me.

70. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

The law doesn’t say cyclic. It just says switch that changes rate of fire. I never said the word cyclic. And don’t put yourself ahead of me because you are a veteran. You didn’t serve by yourself. I don’t talk about my service. I don’t have to.

Not everyone in southern Illinois is like you or anyone else. The same State Highway Patrol is in southern Illinois as northern Illinois. The same governor as well.

71. trapshooter47

Well what would the switch do if not change the cyclic rate of fire? Cyclic means speed, in case you don’t know. I never told you my service record and don’t care to know yours. Where is the list of hunting and target guns with this switch? I may want to buy one

John Trap likes this.
  72. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

You want the list of target and hunting guns it affects? Why just those? You think it is ok to ban the others? Ok to ban the other persons guns. I understand you better now?

The Butler for one can shoot one shell at a time without reloading. Or the rate of fire can be changed with a switch. A switch changes many trap guns from single shot to semi automatic. You need the list or it is ok to ban them.

Sounds like you are in bed with the enemy.

73. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

I care a little more about the right of US citizens. This doesn’t stop at state borders. I can’t figure out why you are even on the thread.

74. John Trap

User 1, At this point all we can do is continue contributing money to the various pro-gun organizations. I have personally talked to my state rep and senator, and you can see what good it did. You don't know what is going on behind the scenes here in Illinois. Give it some time...

75. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

A liberal judge could interpret that all semi-autos have a speed increasing device when in use. It’s called a trigger finger.

76. trapshooter47

You know what, we are doing exactly what the Government wants, only on a smaller scale . Arguing among our selves. None of the name calling and arguing about a switch on a shotgun changes anything. In enough time the younger generation won’t know or care what shooting Trap on a hot summer day is. The powers that be will ensure that. Fewer kids hunt, and shoot and just get outside. It’s sad to think but many of the younger generation are gun haters because they know nothing about them but crime. We as trapshooters should be dragging kids and misinformed adults to the fields to show them the sport. If not future generations will shoot on IPads and virtual trap fields.

Roger Coveleskie and cwtech like this.
  77. User 1

My opinion of this is simple ...... People are free to give their money to anyone they want to .....

But ..... At some point you would think demanding some results would be the least someone should expect for their donations ......

Sending me a 'after the fact' Chicken Little report, is worth the zero I choose to give for that type of return on investment .....

78. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

The Gov. of Illinois told law enforcement that they will enforce the law. He did not say ATA is exempt. Roger C.

79. Flyersarebest

I don't think we ever had 10,000 for the GAH. And I don't think the $ was $50,000.00. Around the 30K number for the winner is probably more accurate. One thing I am sure of is that place will NEVER have anywhere near the numbers. Unless of course all those mid-West shooters finally show up to make up the difference. Like that is going to happen, LOL

I love the ata moving to ILLnews. You and the other SUB 2000 members can go there every year. Well, not every year. It all depends on whims of the ILLnews government.

If I your you, I wouldn't bet any money on the SCTP going back. Heck, they pulled the pin when the targets were offered for FREE. You can't get a much better incentive than that, and they still said NO thanks.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  80. Cali shooter

Cali shooter Member

Well, I do know better than to go up against a moderator, I’ve seen what happens, especially since I’m not from Ohio. I won’t comment any further about this issue.

81. robb

robb Well-Known Member

In 2002 there were three 100's. Each got almost 19K in GAH

82. Flyersarebest

Up against a moderator? You can post on this site anytime you feel the need. You apparently have this site confused with some other place.

News Flash! I live in PA, and am and one of the THOUSANDS of shooters that decided NOT to go to ILLnews when the brain surgeons running the ata decided to make a move that was rejected by the majority of shooters.

83. shortbarrel

A judge issued a temporary restraining order Friday blocking the new Illinois law banning assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

84. Kiehl

Kiehl Well-Known Member

I cant imagine why the ATA would put their flagship shoot in a gun hating state. Not for me. I view anyone that supports that as a traitor.

It is about the people that vote for this crap.