I am having cataract surgery May 18th

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Apr 28, 2021.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Just had my final examination today at 4:00pm, need final exam for pre-OP by my Doc for the surgery on May 5th.

GB..........................................DLS

2. mmiller

mmiller New Member

Had both done and you won't believe the difference

3. JJM

JJM Well-Known Member

Good luck, had both done. Check out Toric Lenses ground to fit the eye shape.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  4. Kolar Top Single

Kolar Top Single Active Member

Good luck to you Doc!!!

5. THEUNLOADER

THEUNLOADER Mega Poster Founding Member

Doc, You are going to sound like a laundry detergent commercial----------
    "The whites are whiter and the brights are brighter"
    Good luck---Nothing to it !!-------GB.

HistoryBuff, OLD MAN and wpt like this.
  6. Probono

Probono Active Member

Prayers sent.

THEUNLOADER likes this.
  7. Turbine

Turbine Active Member Past State President

Listen to your eye surgeon! Tell him you shoot and find out how long he wants you to not shoot. It seems to be about 2 weeks. I couldn’t believe the improvement in my vision when mine were done. Good Luck!!

8. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Surgery is a piece of cake - Dam drops after is a pain in the ass --you won't believe the improvement.

OLD MAN likes this.
  9. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

Good luck Gary

10. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Good Luck Gary, you will be glad once you get them done ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Thnx guys

12. dr.longshot

WPT Thnx just need my right eye done.

13. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Had both done. from 20/400 to 20/40 in both eyes. NEW WORLD!!! MAKE SURE YOU TELL THE SURGEON IF YOU HAVE HAD LASIK. Makes a difference in the lenses. Learned this the hard way.

14. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

What a coincidence, mine is May 6th!

wpt likes this.
  15. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Wishing you all the best Doc & rookieshooter.

wpt likes this.
  16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Left eye on my birthday-June 22.

17. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Explain what you mean about “learned the hard way”

18. dr.longshot

My eyes were 20/100 7-8 years ago, and now pass my drivers exam w/o needing glasses, my glasses corrected me to 20/10, they were made by a trapshooter I met at Camp Troy, we went to Union Health Center in Dayton, ohio, where he did my eye exam and made my lenses, in Photo Gray Glass Lenses which were heavy in my prescription, we split hairs to the Max which took me to 20/10, that night I broke 50 straight, won over $3,000, that was the start of a lot of money shooting for me. I stayed w/that 20/10 vision for years, and used optometrists that did my choosing during exams over the years. It will take a few weeks before i get my eyes re-examined, and new glasses IF NEEDED.

GB.....................................DLS

19. dr.longshot

A side note I am a Diabetic and I keep my insulin at 80-120 constantly, never let it go, you only get one set of eyes, Diabetis is hard on your eyes and kidneys, never ever neglact it. My eye surgeon was surprised of the good condition of my eyes being a diabetic.

GB...........................DLS

Elsie likes this.
  20. Elsie

Elsie Mega Poster

Good luck. Getting ready for the surgery takes longer than the surgery itself.

21. Timn

Timn Active Member

I am getting my right eye done next week. I can't wait I hope it helps with my cross firing problem.

22. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Got my right eye done and crossfire is at bay. Getting my left eye done on June 22 and it better not return.

23. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Its a piece of cake--enjoy seeing the targets whole, clear & bright

24. Timn

Timn Active Member

That's great news I hope my problem is cured, my surgeon said it might do the trick.

25. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Just had Doc take off eye patch on right eye at 9:00 AM today....WOW!! truly amazed with the results. Now with all the drop meds daily.
    Still need left eye done.
    Within 15 min of removing patch, I breezed thru the bottom line on eye chart. Doc said it will even get better with time.
    2 weeks before shooting.
    Wish you luck DLS on yours.

26. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

Follow instructions from the M.D.

Do not shoot to soon and gamble with a detached retina.

Had both eyes done and a vitrectomy done in shooting eye.

I waited 2 weeks after he said I could go ahead and shoot.

You only have 2 eyes.

Be careful.

27. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Easy, peasy, piece of cake procedure had mine done 5 yrs ago

Hope your Dr. doesn't need YOUTUBE; honestly best thing out there for old eyes

Good Luck, shoot well soon,
    Phil. aka Chatbrat aka 635 G

28. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Had to redo the right eye with a different lense.

29. dr.longshot

My Dr. said I was getting the long range Lens, will need reading glasses which I already have, someone said they had to pay extra for long range lenses, i asked her about this she said they got ripped off.

GB.....................................DLS

30. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The place I went to is called the eye gallery. It was recommended by at least a dozen guys from the club that had their glasses made there or had the surgery done after going to them. The guy that owns the place is a shooter. When asked about Decots they knew immediately what I was talking about. I was actually seeing what looked like two blurred targets when shooting Annies. One on top of the other. Yeah, I know, shoot between them. Only heard that about 100 times.

Went and saw the doctor. Need the right eye done. Left was "boarder line" and the doctor said I might as well get it done too since I would be back in 6 months anyway. Did the right, a week or so later did the left. He said that if anyone ever told a patient that they would do both at the same time they should run out of the guys office. He said I would need "cheaters" for up close work but but I figured that. I had been wearing bifocals for years so no big deal.

WOW!!! Like HD vision. I thought my sight was a little off but after the procedure I realized it was more than just a little. Got out the old non prescription Decots and was good to go.

Then, about 10 months later........

Had a floater in the left eye and it was a little blurred. Went back to the doctor, ( first guy moved so I had to see a different one, same office) had ANOTHER eye test and was told, Well, sometimes that happens. Your eyes change you know. Really can't do anything about that. The floater will probably go away (it did in about a week) but you should get a pair of glasses to correct that left eye. WTF? I had to pay my part of the procedure, $500.00 total and now I have to put the non prescription glasses back in the drawer and buy new shooting glasses????

I had read that after cataract surgery some people need a little procedure with a laser to correct any small problem. I was also told this by some people that needed it. The "doctor" that did the initial evaluation at the Eye Gallery ( glasses store) and sent me to the doctors that actually did the procedure told me that was a possibility and it was pretty common. The new doctor ( woman about 40) said no, that wouldn't help. Double WTF?

Just saying DLS.

ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS and don't be satisficed until you have them all answered.

Good luck.

31. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

I had the floaters after and before the cataract surgery.

About 5 month's after the surgery I had a vitrectomy done in my shooting eye.

Totally clear now.

You really have to know your M.D. for this procedure.

Get as many report's as possible on the Dr. you use.

32. dr.longshot

Thanx guys the eye surgeons now are a lot different from 30 years ago, with all the new Technology.
    Eye Dr. took me off 3 meds, good thing my dog stole eye med bag Haha, i am now using only one 2 times a day, next appt, is June 9th.

GB...........................................DLS

33. Timn

Timn Active Member

Ok I am having cataract surgery next week. I had the same surgery on my left eye 30 years ago. Dr didn't say if she was giving me long range lense I didn't know to ask. So could I do the long range lense in my right eye because I know my left eye isn't thanks.

34. dr.longshot

I do not know that answer, sorry

GB....................................DLS

35. wpt

It would be best to consult with your Eye Doctor, they can explain the differential's to you ... My Doctor does not like to combine long and short range lenses because people get frustrated as they adjust to the different lenses ... My wife has one of each, so she can read and see at a distance but it did take her awhile to get used to the difference focal points of each lense ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

36. Timn

Timn Active Member

Ok first day after surgery went in for follow up I now have 20/15 eye sight. Colors are very bright and clear haven seen this good in like 18 years or so. This was my right eye but sad to say, so far anyway looking down my barrel I still need my dot over my left eye. Good news and not good news, but it's still early in the process, with luck that might change. But very happy so far.

eric28 likes this.
  37. eric28

eric28 Member

Good to hear that you having a clearer vision, Congratulations on that

38. dr.longshot

WPT My apology to you on Cataracht Lens, She told me about the $1500 lens and gave me a flyer on em.

GB......................................DLS

39. dr.longshot

I am back to 20/10 in both eyes.

GB.........................DLS

40. wpt

Glad it worked out for you, helps to be able to see , ask me how I know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

41. dr.longshot

My eyes are 20/10 again.

GB..................................DLS