How to Load Fiocchi 28 GAUGE

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by 2600jamest, May 24, 2021.

1. 2600jamest

2600jamest Mega Poster

I've been loading AAHS 28 gauge but also have 500 Fiocchi 28's that I would hate to just toss. I loaded one along with my AAHS just to see how it would turn out. Not a good crimp, hull appears to be slightly longer than the AA. Can they be loaded without buying a bunch of new "stuff"? Thanks, Jim

2. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

Go to the Hodgens website. They will list all the good loads for their powders. The hull is is a straight walled hull so the load will be different than the tapered HS Hull. May just need more powder to fill the hull. You didn't say which wad you were using. I will look and see what a good load is and I will post again.
    Pat

3. Pat Savage

I looked and there is at least 50 loads for the Finocchi 28 gauge 3/4 oz. loads. However only three powders are listed: Win 572, Longshot and Universal.

4. 2600jamest

2600jamest Mega Poster

Pat, sorry I left out some vital information, I'm using CD 5034 wads in my AAHS and the powder I have available for 28 loads are about 5-6 pounds of Winchester 540 (old buy still good) and about 5-6 pounds of Alliant 2028, also a pound of Alliant blue dot that I think can be used for 28's. Jim

5. Pat Savage

540 in 28 gauge is my favorite load. Just to let you know 540 and HS-6 are the same powder (That's per Hodgens). They just don't sell it as 540 any more. Hodgens doesn't list any loads for lead shot for Fiocchi. Only for Bismuth shot. They list as 17.5 with 3/4 oz. shot for 1200 fps. You might find an old Hodgens or Winchester book that would list the lead load.

6. 2600jamest

2600jamest Mega Poster

Data also calls for PC28 or Rem PT28 wads. Don't seem to be be any in stock anywhere. I

7. Santafe

Santafe Member

Go to ballistic products web site order some felt wad spacers

8. GA 88

GA 88 New Member

Grafs has PC28 wads in stock 1/30/22.

9. Agrid

Agrid Active Member

I loaded a bunch of them a while back with 13.0 grains of unique and the CB wad. Results were slight dishing. Make sure you are dropping a full 3/4 oz of shot. Most MEC bars don't. I also used Cheddite primers because my Win 209s were lose in the primer pocket. Cheddites fit nicely.

10. squirrel_hunter

squirrel_hunter Active Member

I tried loading some fiocchi 28ga hulls. My loader is a mec jr 600 mark 5 28ga. My final crimp looks bad. I adjusted and adjusted it. Still no luck..

11. Dale

Dale Member

I'm like you, Ive got several thousand of those hulls, I can't stop myself from picking them up.

Don't over think it.

I load them just like a AAHS hull, add a Cheerio on top, and toss when done. Easy peazy.

12. Byron Whitlock

Byron Whitlock New Member

I load Fiocchi hulls a lot as well since I can pick them up all the time at my club. I load them just like AA's but add an overshot card before the crimp. A fellow shooter gave me a homemade tool to cut my own cards so I have plenty made from old cereal boxes and others of that type.

13. 10 gauge Bob

10 gauge Bob Member

Try the SG28S wad from Ballistic Products. They work well for me, but cost more than the Claybusters.