How to hide human scent while hunt

Discussion in 'Hunters' Talk & Fish Tales -' started by Trapcountry, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Trapcountry

Trapcountry Active Member

a lot of people say it is impossible why some say it is. please i will appreciate your comment of your personal experiences, is it really possible? if so then how can one hide his scent while hunting?

2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time worrying about this myth.
    If you are really hunting and are looking as hard as possible to find the animal you should be able kill them before they know you are there.
    Cover scents are a joke

3. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Secret is to play the wind -- Late hunting partner was a chain smoker and always got his deer.

Hitman, Iron_Lord and Flyersarebest like this.
  4. Donald piper

Donald piper Member

I have a cousin who raises quail and is around them all day then goes hunting straight from work. I swear the quail are a cover sent he has deer come into him no matter what stand he is in .I have switched stand I see none or a couple at best. He has 6 to 10 come in where I was night before consistently

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Your breath, is the smell of death. Until you figure out how to survive without breathing, or filtering it to no scent, you are not going undetected downwind. If you are a carnivore, your breath smells like a Grizzly bear. You never see deer running form being down wind of a vegetarian animal do you.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  6. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Mega Poster V I P

Don't eat chili the night before.

7. Dobyns

Dobyns Well-Known Member

I know a female bow hunter who use perfume as her cover sent. I have known her for many years now and she only shoots big bucks and she gets hers every year. I have had an adult deer bed down next to the tree I was standing in. I have had a 2 year old buck scratch his back on the tree I was in. I had 6 does that were downwind of me that walked upwind right by my stand and never knew I was their.

ShotPlace likes this.
  8. ShotPlace

ShotPlace Active Member

Perfume as odor hider? wow that's new.
    I would appreciate some recommendations.

9. ShotPlace

ShotPlace Active Member

You are not going to eliminate human scent by using any snake oil or special clothing. Use the wind to your advantage is the best option.

10. kolarbear

kolarbear Member

Hunt with the wind in your favor , Pay attention to the wind direction and try to hunt with the wind blowing in your face. This will help to carry away your scent and make it harder for animals to detect you.

Remember to also avoid smoking, using scented body lotions or colognes, and eating strong-smelling foods while hunting.

11. hulk439

hulk439 Member

I know some people who take the scent control to the Max. They get dressed in their hunting cloths only once they get to the woods, Watch what they eat for days prior to going hunting, Rinse their mouths with Hydrogen Peroxide, Shave all their body hair. Its crazy all the things I heard of people doing to be scent free

Now, what’s interesting to me is hunters go through these elaborate routines and yet there’s no proof that any of this makes one bit of difference. Does it reduce human scent 90%, 50%, 2%, 0%? Only the deer know for sure, and they aren’t talking.

There’s just no proof that any of this scent control stuff works to a degree that matters to the animal. Ozone generators seem to be a possible exception to this, but there are still plenty of question marks about how they work and when they work best.

I just try to do some common stuff that while not “reducing” scent, at least doesn’t add more strong scents. I use no-scent laundry detergent, soap, etc. I air out my hunting clothes.

IMO the #1 “scent control” that you can practice is working with the wind direction. Whenever possible, I try to keep the wind in my favor. The “whenever possible” part of that is key, I know it’s not always possible.