How Can I Contact "History Buff"

Discussion in 'History Buffs' started by Tom Archer, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Tom Archer

Tom Archer New Member

Good Morning Gentlemen; this is my first post and thanks for allowing me the opportunity. As noted in the title I'm hoping to correspond with member "History Buff" and the reason is that I'm presently researching a famous lady "live bird" shooter named Anna Rieker/Mrs. L.G. Vogel for an article in the Double Gun Journal; and am posting here because I found a comment by History Buff on this forum from 2015 that stated the following:

My dearest Greta: Someday I'll sit down and tell you and Jack about a young lady shooter who hailed from Lancaster, PA who became Mrs. Louis Vogel abt 1910, and moved to Detroit, Michigan. She was a notable lady shooter, heralded as one of the best wing shots in America, often defeating men shooters. She became the first and only woman member of the Westy Hogans in the teens, and in those old pictures of Westy and wife, she was "Nan Hogan" in those photos. She too, shot off the roof of Madison Square Garden and was the Michigan State Women's Champion at least 6-times. While not credited with being the first Grand American Women's Champion the year ladies were officially invited to compete at the G.A.H. and trophies provided for them, she will always be given that accolade by me. There's certainly an interesting story behind that tournament event.
    Flyersarebest may be interested to know that she was once the Women's Live-Bird Champion of the world.

I am presently in possession of Anna's Monogram Grade 12-bore LC Smith ordered and delivered in 1904 and used by Anna for live pigeon shooting. Obviously my purpose is to write a story about her and her gun, but the problem is the dearth of information I’ve been able to find on Anna thus far. That said it appears from the above post that History Buff has some great information which I'm hoping he will share. Thanks in advance for your help in locating History Buff.
    Tom Archer

Trap3 likes this.
  2. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

You can PM him.

T Jordan likes this.
  3. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Well, finally somebody besides me who has the desire to recognize "Miss Hawkeye."

Mr. Archer, I'd be happy to share my file on Anna Rieker, Mrs. Lewis Grover Vogel. I have assisted a couple other gentlemen with articles in Double Gun Journal so how could I refuse your request?

Hopefully the picture below inspires you to get started "posthaste" while also certify my willingness to help.

VOGEL, Mrs. Louis, S.R., 02AUG1913p.115.jpg

T Jordan and Trap3 like this.
  4. Flyersarebest

Who would have thought it. Even back then,

Chicks with guns

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  5. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Flyersarebest,

She loved pigeon shooting and wasn't too bad for a girl.

You may remember the name of an old PA live bird champion that she shot several matches with. Mr. Fred Coleman was his name. She also shot in tournaments with J. A. R. Elliott, Fred Gilbert, J. Mowell Hawkins, Silent Billy Heer, Neaf Apgar, Luther Squier, and several others.

Wasn't this Lancaster, PA shooter President of the ATA in 1933?

JOHN ESHELMAN WINS TRAPSHOOT
    Mrs. Anna Rieker Vogel Runnerup In “Get Acquainted” Shoot

Seventeen shooters were attracted by the first “Get Acquainted” trapshoot sponsored by the Sportsmen Recreation Association over their traps at Rossmere on Saturday afternoon. There was some very clever shooting executed, despite a high wind.
    John W. Eshelman, Jr., of Lancaster, carried off first honors by breaking 24 and 23 for a total of 47, while Mrs. Anna Rieker Vogel was the runner-up, with 24 and 21 for a total of 45. Both shattered 24 out of 25 in the first brace of targets.
    [ THE SUNDAY NEWS, (Lancaster, PA), June 23, 1935, page 7 ]

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  6. Flyersarebest

Yes Sir HB
    The Fred Coleman Memorial
    AKA, The Hegins Labor Day Shoot

7. Tom Archer

Tom Archer New Member

Mr. HB,
    My apologies for the delay in my response; but thank you ever so much for your reply and generous offer to share information. The old photo above is wonderful and Anna is clearly holding the Monogram Grade LC Smith that bears her name. As FYI, I first saw this gun in the early 1980's on a dealer's table at a gun show in Atlanta, and as a young collector had no idea what this gun represented; only understood that it was a beautiful gun. I later realized the gun was pictured in the William Brophy book on LC Smith guns, but had forgotten the gun completely until a gentleman from TX called asking for information (he'd contacted me thru the LC Smith Collectors Association). In my opinion this is a historic piece; it remains in beautiful condition, and the story of this gun and it's original owner needs to be shared with the public. I believe the best vehicle to accomplish that goal is thru the Double Gun Journal, as 1) they will publish all my detailed photos, and 2) will print the full story; and as I'd noted initially, getting the full "story" and getting it correct is where I need help! I'll be sure to give you full credit for all information you provide; and am forever thankful that I discovered your old post from 2015. My direct email address is tomarcher@charter.net and my telephone is 864/359-2938 (South Carolina). I'm looking forward to speaking and working with you.
    Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2021
  8. HistoryBuff

I don't recall where I got these pictures, but they've been in Anna Rieker's file for some time.

Anna Rieker's Shotgun.001.jpg

Anna Rieker's Shotgun.002.jpg

T Jordan likes this.
  9. Tom Archer

Tom Archer New Member

I have those images and a few more; but those are poor and not magazine quality. With the gun now in hand, professional photographer Terry Allen will shoot a magazine quality photo spread; those photos will be featured in the DGJ. I already have all details on the gun itself to include the original shipping record. What I need are details on Anna and her life; for instance, I can't seem to locate basic stuff like a birth or death date or if she had any children. I've found no details on her personal life, but she must have been a member of a prominent family given that she could purchase a $400 gun in 1904 as a young single lady; and if she wasn't a career woman, she must've married into some wealth or she couldn't have traveled and participated in big multi-state shooting events. And what was it that triggered Anna's interest in shooting? Who and what was the Westy Hogan tournament and how was she connected to that shoot as Nan? How did she become known as Chief Shooting Squaw and what was her connection to Native Americans? When did Anna retire and what was her last big shooting event? These are just some of the questions I have and on which I hope you have information. I'm still learning how to navigate the website, and if I've done so correctly there is a photo below showing the highly polished and jeweled inside surfaces of the lock plates on Anna's gun. The second image will show that the area where Hunter Arms Grade stamped the frame below the breech balls is void of a grade stamp; in fact, Anna's gun is devoid of any grade marks, so the only way we can identify the grade of her gun is by checking the shipping record that clearly records her gun as a Monogram Grade. DSC00627.JPG DSC00622.JPG Advise and thanks, Tom

T Jordan and Trap3 like this.
  10. Tom Archer

Tom Archer New Member

Just to update, "History Buff and I are in contact, and to all here I sincerely appreciate the opportunity provided by this fine forum to establish that contact.
    Best,
    Tom