Hey Man What’s the Plan

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Orangeman, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Orangeman

Orangeman Active Member

I am waiting to hear from any leadership in trapshooting. What is the plan going forward?

2. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

"Let's Go Brandon" seems to be the best anyone can do today.

3. Dobyns

Dobyns Well-Known Member

One would think that if such plan existed, they would share it with the members and put it on the ATA website.

Trapcountry likes this.
  4. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Pertaining to what?

5. Dobyns

Dobyns Well-Known Member

To grow the ATA in both the number of active members and the number of registered targets thrown annually.

6. Jersey Giant

Jersey Giant Active Member

Ok Dobyns. I’ll bite. Says who and where?

7. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

The country/economy is in the crapper, inflation is running wild, components continue to rise in price and are hard to find, ammo also up and hard to find. Many clubs are cancelling leagues do to these factors. We have a pack of idiots running this country. People are afraid of the future and for the care of their family.
    I don't see a rosy future for the shooting sports right now. Winchester had 3 price increases in just this year alone.
    Plus our borders are a mess and war could be looming amonst many different players. China/Taiwan, Russia/Ukraine, and many more.
    The future for nothing is clear right now.

Elsie, Flyersarebest, mudpack and 2 others like this.
  8. rickyd

rickyd Active Member

Gee Bpd. That is why we ask for leadership. You won’t get any from the new President. Lol.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  9. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

A previous rant of mine.

There ya go. Surprised it took that long. "Its the economy". Those thousands of blue collar workers that flocked to Vandalia on the weekends didn't all have cushy jobs. And the great depression was part of the golden era of trapshooting.

Time to repeat my previous rant.......

The Great Depression had a huge Grand.

Maybe you remember the gas lines of the seventies. Vandalia was booming then.

Then there was Nixon's double digit inflation. Vandalia was booming then too.

The malaise of Carter with a deep recession. Booming years for Vandalia.

The darkest day was the Friday the steel mills closed across Ohio, PA, MI and WV. Bumper year for trapshooting.

Black Thursday, the year of the stock market crash. Another good year.

Then there was the Dot Com crash. Mere bumps in the road for trapshooting.

Remember Clinton's saying it's the economy stupid. Great days for trapshooting.

We refer to those bad times as the Golden Age of Trapshooting.
    Trapshooting could handle just about anything....until trapshooting left the trapshooters.

Removing the sport from trapshooting didn't help much either.

10. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

Plan is there is no plan

11. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Well said Family Guy but that horse is already 50 miles down the road.

Kyle Kanuha and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

What killed ATA Trapshooting-moving the Grand to IL from OH-simple!. All the rest are add ons!

Flyersarebest and Dakota Jake like this.
  13. Trapcountry

Trapcountry Active Member

Very funny isn't it ? OP thinks they are not watching.

14. Pkotlost

Pkotlost Member

Oleo, an honest question here why did moving it kill the ata? I'm relatively new to that ATA so I'm curious.

15. Kyle Kanuha

Kyle Kanuha Member

The plan is to put all money and energy into AIM, SCTP, Highschool clay target league, etc. Then act shocked when youth become adults and don't shoot anymore.

Ron Burdick likes this.
  16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

This will be easy. Their customer base was located in the East with a higher population density and more feeder clubs. Feeder clubs dropped ATA shoots because so few Eastern shooters go to Sparta. There's a lack of amenities like bars, restaurants, motels and a real close airport. in Sparta. Great place to shoot in a poor location. I'm sure others can add more.

17. Pkotlost

Pkotlost Member

Ok that makes sense, its true for me as well it would be a huge inconvenience to go there to shoot. Was it all political in the decision to move there? How was the idea sold.

18. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Political in the sense that a decision was made to kick us out of Vandalia because we bordered the Dayton airport and the land was wanted for buildings to support the airport's big expansion - which never happened.

rookieshooter and Flyersarebest like this.
  19. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Alf…. Who threw the ATA out of Vandalia? Who kicked us out? Who made the decision?

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  20. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

My memory is not that good for that kind of detail but from what I remember the ATA would have stayed had it not been from pressure from the government(s). I recall security was an issue being post 9/11. And then I remember the mad scramble to find a place to move to. Contenders were a location in TX, IN, and others but I forget.

Surely, you remember that kind of detail or someone else here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2022
  21. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Alf174; All the info about the government pressure was filtered thru thru ATA. Someone ,or group, must have picked up some renumeration from the deals, Like the Pat trap deal, the real estate purchase, the H.O.F. deal, the moving to Sparta deal. to many to have just happened out of the blue. Research some of the old posts on here and the you will maybe see the big picture. Roger C.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  22. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

All The stories the ata told should have started with,

Once upon a time...

Tom in PA and BRAD DYSINGER like this.