Help: Reloading Rem 410 hulls with Win 209 primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by eightshot, Feb 3, 2015.

1. eightshot

eightshot Active Member Founding Member

Help. I’m reloading Remington 410 hulls with Win. 209 primers with a Mec Grabber reloader. About 3 hulls in every 25 reloads the primers won’t seat all the way in. If I catch it, I just dump the powder, put in a used or spent primer upside down in the primer seat pocket, then slowly press it all the way in, also I’ve lowered the primer seat punch (both Mec’s advice). But sometimes the primer doesn’t stick out or not seat quite far enough to stick or catch in my reloader so I don’t know it’s happing till it’s over. Obviously when it sticks I pull the shell dump the powder, wait till I’m done reloading then press the primer in all the way and finish the shell. A real pain. Any solutions?

2. copperjojn

copperjojn New Member Founding Member

eightshot: This is not uncommon problem, winchesterr's seem a little tight, same w/ Rem 20's after the second reload it seems to get better. This has been my experience.

3. eightshot

eightshot Active Member Founding Member

copperjojn,
    Thanks very much for the reply. Have a great day.

4. senorric

senorric Member

Use a 15/64 drill bit in a tap holder to ream-out the primer hole as the Win 209 primer is longer than Rem STS primer. Try it, it works even though it's a pain in the a$$. It only needs to be done for the first reloading. -- Rich

5. mike gianlorenzo

mike gianlorenzo Active Member

Use a CCI 209 SC for the first reload, then you should be good to go for win209. Cheddite may also work for 1st reload

6. trap.skeet.sporting

trap.skeet.sporting Active Member

Mine go flush at the crimp station. No problem after that.

7. Rabun Creek

Rabun Creek Member Founding Member

This is common with once-fired Remington hulls. It occurs because the Winchester primer is longer than the Remington primer. The plastic inside the base resists letting the longer primer seat all the way. Just be careful seating the primer, making sure it goes in all the way.
    Once the hull has been reloaded once with Winchester primers, the problem will go away.

8. la angler

la angler Member

I used the drill bit on mine takes some time up to process though.

9. Travis

Travis Active Member Founding Member

On the first reload, scrape the plastic out with a pocket knife. The primer should fit right in with no issues from that point forward.

10. sts1100

sts1100 Active Member

I made this modification to the primer seating post on a mec grabber, I increase the length slightly for the first reload IMG_0665.jpg

11. sts1100

sts1100 Active Member

After several local shooters told me they were drilling the primer pockets of Remington hulls so Winchester primers could be seated. I gave this some thought and removed the powder drop tube from my grabber and used a drill to enlarge the ID of the tube, the idea being to create more space for the plastic to expand when the primer is seated. I have loaded 400 once fired Remington hulls since and the Winchester primers are flush.
    This could also be done with a Dremel tool. I also use Creative Reloading Products UPP.

12. Ronald Lisenby

Ronald Lisenby Active Member

Use a 600 jr, problem solved

13. Nanuk

Nanuk Active Member

Lower the left tube (station 2--powder drop tube an 1/8 ")--this should create more pressure to force the primer into the hull--if thats not enough--lower it another 1/8". Have a problem ?----Mec offers excellent technical advise--don't be afraid to call them . regards Bob